It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

outlook express links broken?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 25 2006 @ 06:51 AM
link   
I am pretty poor at computer related things so please forgive me.
Here is my problem, or rather my fathers problem.

When recieving an E mail in to microsoft out look express that includes a link , the link does not work. EG he showed me an example that said something like "your new British Gas bill is ready click on the link to check your account" or some such when he did a tone was audible but with no warning or any written instruction , and a small icon that i had never seen appeared in the start up tray , but try and click on the icon and nothing happend as it dissapeared , this icon would also appear to corospond with the amount of time I attempted to click on the link.

I went through all of his E mails with links and none worked so its not a one off , and sorry I can't be more specific , but this is really driving him and me crazy so any help would be appreciated thank you

buckaroo

And BTW the icon appeared to be black and green and looke like a sqyashed sphere in shape.

posted on Apr, 25 2006 @ 07:28 AM
link   
A screenshot or two will be very helpful as I'm not sure I understand a problem. It could also be helpful if you could copy and paste the link into Internet Explorer's address bar.

BUT - before you do that - I'll go on what you gave us. To me it sounds alarmingly like a scam. (AKA phishing scams.) But it's used to collect information from unsuspecting people. The email is often from "legit" email addresses (i.e. the email address will make it appear as if the email are actually from the Company in Question) asking you to confirm your account details or account numbers or any personal information. When you click the link (which often appears as though it is legit as well - but redirects you actually) you are faced with a very official looking web page where you can enter all your personal information. They actually collect all the information you give them and commit fraud in your name... (Apply for credit cards, etc.) I have received such mails from Ebay, several Banks of England, several banks from the US, etc. Few - if any - companies will these days send you an email to "confirm" your details. Never give your details over the Internet - no matter how legit it looks - if you feel a bit uneasy.

Check out these sites for more info:
www.tech-faq.com...
www.haltabuse.org...

But I can be wrong. So here's another question:
Is it ALL the links that don't work in Outlook or only those in mails from people that may or may not be fishing for your personal info?

Edit: Grammar

[edit on 25-4-2006 by Gemwolf]

posted on Apr, 25 2006 @ 07:32 AM
link   
Yes Gemwolf , no links in any Emails work , he first noticed it this morning when signing up to friends reunited , and he got the conformation Email , with the usual underscored link but clicking it does not work ,

I do not think it is a scam , just some sort of problem ,

Thanks for your response any how.

posted on Apr, 25 2006 @ 07:58 AM
link   
Hmmm... I reread your problem and see that I completely misread... My bad.

Screenshot - with the "icon" would be nice. Also check (Right-click > Properties) on the new icon and look at where it points. It should give you the name of the program executable. Then we'll have a direction to go. It sounds like one of those nasty spyware bugs. Do you have MS Anti-spyware or Spybot Search&Destroy installed? If not - get it. Run it. If so - check for updates. Also what version of MS Outlook do you use? Check for Microsoft updates as well... I'll wait for feedback before we debug some more...

new topics

top topics

join