It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

chased by a freaking bear up a tree...dilemma

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 25 2006 @ 01:17 AM
link   
i just had a weird thought. Should i get chased by a bear and manage to climb up a tree. after a while, the bear seems to lose interest in me and decides to sleep next to the tree. b4 attempting the impossible, of cos i would make sure if that fag is merely pretending to sleep by tossing a few small branches near it. If there is no reply, Should i slowly creep down and make a run for it or wait for help?
ps.. i know a bear can last longer without food or water than humans, and they can run faster than humans.

posted on Apr, 25 2006 @ 06:48 AM
link   
Congratulations! You win the,

RANDOM THREAD OF THE DAY AWARD!

Seriously though, I'm pretty sure that bears can climb trees, just stand and face it like a man. Face to face. Fist to fist.

posted on Apr, 25 2006 @ 08:02 AM
link   
can a bear run faster than a human? I was actually thinking about exactly that last night.

it seems like a human might be able to run a (very?) short distance faster than a bear, but once the thing got going it could probably overtake you.

this is a perfectly good question; as much time as I spend out in the woods it's probably just a matter of time until I am mauled by a bear, or at least a bunny.

as for getting yourself treed... i guess i'd just try to avoid that in the first place. i've only seen one bear in the wild, and you'd better believe that i hauled ass out of there faster than you can say "holy sh*t, it's a bear!".

posted on Apr, 25 2006 @ 08:07 AM
link   
Good rule of thumb....always go into the woods with a fat, out of shape acquaintance. Or, a great big hand gun.

posted on Apr, 25 2006 @ 08:18 AM
link   
I'm not sure if bears can pretend... ?

Isn't the "rule" if you're chased by a bear that you pretend you're dead? It should just sniff you and maybe nudge you with a claw. Or that's what the experts say. I don't think I have the guts to try the theory.

posted on Apr, 25 2006 @ 08:58 AM
link   
I imagine that the bear could guess if your dead or not, the smell of, well I bet you can guess what they would smell.

NC, I completely agree with the acquaintance. Very good idea!

posted on Apr, 25 2006 @ 09:28 AM
link   
From what I know bears can climb certain types of trees better than others, although I can't remember which types of trees they can climb better.
Bears are very fast and you won't be able to out run one, if I remember correct they can run in the region of 30mph.
Concerning the ''climb up a tree and the bear falls asleep next to the tree issue'', I doubt a bear would go to sleep any time soon after a chase, it'd be all hyped up and I doubt it would hunt just before it is about to sleep.

posted on Apr, 25 2006 @ 09:59 AM
link   
i think i got the perfect answer for this situation.
Always carry a lighter with u. once ur up a tree, light up a torch. that should do the trick... i heard that almost all wild life are afraid of fire.

Quote: Isn't the "rule" if you're chased by a bear that you pretend you're dead? It should just sniff you and maybe nudge you with a claw. Or that's what the experts say. I don't think I have the guts to try the theory.

what if the bear decides to take a swipe/bite of ur family jewels. i guess thats pretty much goodbye to fathers day.
And all for those who wanna face the bear, u must be outta ur minds, remember its size, its powerful paws equipped with razor sharp claws and its monstrous teeth.

the handgun is good but i die or it dies sounds a little too steep of a price to pay.

[edit on 25-4-2006 by rottonralph101]

posted on Apr, 25 2006 @ 11:26 AM
link   
You need some Bear Pepper Spray but heed the warning.

Just in case you weren't aware Treat all bear encounters with extreme caution.

[edit on 25/4/06 by Mark Harris]

posted on Apr, 25 2006 @ 12:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mark Harris
You need some Bear Pepper Spray but heed the warning.

Just in case you weren't aware Treat all bear encounters with extreme caution.

[edit on 25/4/06 by Mark Harris]

does it really work or is it fake?? what if someone were to use it on a bear and it decides to go on a blind rampaging fury??

posted on Apr, 25 2006 @ 01:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by rottonralph101
of cos i would make sure if that fag is merely pretending to sleep
:shk:

I've had several encounters with black bears in British Columbia and they always seemed more frightened of me than I was of them. We did have to shoot one in northern Alberta
because it kept trying to break into the cook house and was getting very bold around the camp.

posted on Apr, 25 2006 @ 05:20 PM
link   
hey i think besides keeping a lighter to make a fire, i think u can also carry a metallic frying pan and when ur up in a break a branch and hit the pan as hard as u possibly can, to frighten off the bear. i think that should work too...

or u could keep a porcupine for a pet? or maybe carry a skunk in a container and when the bear attacks, throw the skunk on its face. that should do the trick...no?

top topics

join