It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Von Willebrand Disease

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 24 2006 @ 11:19 PM
link   
Does any one else have Von Willebrand Disease?
I want to know that if im out hiking and i cut my self will a clotting agent...did i spell that write?...will it help? or would i just have to take the med.s?
Or Can i get my eye brows pieced or tongue or maybe even nipples? Or a tattoo?
Also is it normal for a vwd person to have a bruise for up to two weeks? Because some times i bruise for a long time or i hardly hit something and it'll bruise heavy or sometimes i can knock the crap out of a body part and it not bruise.

posted on May, 2 2006 @ 01:12 PM
link   
From what I've found, there are 5 different classes of Van Willebrand disease that denote the severity of the disease.

As far as the cuts in the forest or piercing, unless you have a severe case or are taking aspirin, plavix or some other anti-coagulation agent, you should be fine.

If you have type 1, you won't notice any effects unless you have major surgery or have a severe injury. A scrape or piercing will not cause any noticeable effect. One of the most common ways to diagnose this type is through a tonsillectomy (removal of tonsils) or having a tooth pulled.

If you have type 2A, you will form a clot, but it will be weaker than a typical clot. This, unlike type 1, isn't because of a lack of Von Willebrand Factor in the bloodstream, but rather it is deficient in its ability to form bonds in the platelets. As such, you should be able to develop a clot, but this clot can be broken down easily and could take far longer to cause a cut to stop bleeding. From what I understand, again, a scratch while going through the forest or a piercing will not be life threatening. This is far less common than type 1, only existing in about 10-15% of patients.

Type 2B has similar symptoms of Type 2A, but the cause is different. This bleeding issue lies in that the clot does not form on the vessel's wall, but instead the bloodstream. As the clot forms, the body purges it from the blood stream causing a platelet shortage. The clot is just as strong as a normal clot, but doesn't form where it's needed, causing the wound to bleed longer than normal.

Type 3 is the rarest form, only happening in 1 out of 500,000 cases of Von Willebrand Disease. If this is the type you have, you might have to be concerned about piercings and scratches. However, since you stated no one in your family has VWD, it is unlikely (if not impossible) for you to have this type, as both parents have to pass the VWD gene to you.

As for the bruising, that is normal for VWD.

new topics

join