It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mig-31 interceptor Crashed

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 16 2003 @ 04:55 AM
link   
Pilots from MIG-31 aircraft survived

Both pilots of the MiG-31 aircraft that crashed in the Tver region have survived and are undergoing medical examination, the Russian emergencies ministry reported.

The incident took place Tuesday at 2.54 Moscow time in the Staritsky district near the Borovaya village. According to preliminary information, the aircraft's uncontrollable fall was caused by an engine ignition.

Reports say no victims or damage have been registered at the site of the accident.

there were only 7 mig-31 losses over 10 years, this is the 8 time
, there are no analogs to the mig-31 yet.

btw im back now, i couldnt log in because i couldnt retrive my password

posted on Oct, 16 2003 @ 05:58 AM
link   
"there are no analogs to the mig-31 yet."

Good safety record it has..

But it is safe to assume that the best crews fly the MiG-31s?

As their mission is very, very important..

(air defence of the homeland.. / protection against USAF nuclear strikes..)

MiG-31 1st protector of the great motherland!!!

posted on Oct, 16 2003 @ 06:11 AM
link   

The most capable Russian air defense interceptor aircraft, the FOXHOUND has a multiple-target engagement capability and was the first Soviet fighter to have a true look-down, shoot-down capability. The N007 Zaslon radar was the first electronically scanned phased array radar to enter service in the world. It could scan 200 km forward and track 10 targets simultanieously. This radar could also track and engage target flying behind and below the aircraft. The Zaslon antenna is of the fixed type, instead of being mechanically directed the radar beam is moved electronically. This allows the full fuselage diameter to be used for the antenna, a considerable advantage since antenna diameter and effective operating range are directly related. Electronic steering of the radar beam is faster than can be performed mechanically, and it is also more accurate. All signal processing is digital.

The radar ensures simultaneous search and attack of several targets using long-range missiles and makes possible to interact within a group. The MiG-31 interceptor fighter can intercept air targets in VFR and IFR weather conditions, day and night and in continuous and discontinuous field of control and guidance commands (solo and in group), of regardless target defensive maneuvers and ECM.

The Mig-31M is an improved version of the basic Mig-31. The key to the MiG-31M's effectiveness is the SBI-16 Zaslon fixed phased array antenna radar, codenamed 'Flash Dance' by NATO, which is said to be the world's most powerful fighter radar. The cockpits were upgraded in the Mig 31M with a number of Cathode Ray Tubes (CRT) and an increased number of missiles.

The first stage of tests of the upgraded MiG-31BM high-speed multifunctional long-range jet fighter were completed in mid-1999. The main difference between the MiG-31P (Foxhound, according to the NATO classification) and the new MiG-31BM multifunctional air strike system is that the latter is capable of destroying both air and ground targets. The designers and manufacturers of the MiG-31 hope that the new modification will result in international sales. The upgraded MiG-31BM is fitted with a powerful onboard computer system and a radar with a phased array which will allow the pilot to simultaneously activate the air-to-air and air-to-surface missile fire modes. When working with air targets, the MiG-31BM is capable of intercepting up to 24 targets simultaneously.

[Edited on 16-10-2003 by FULCRUM]

posted on Oct, 16 2003 @ 06:19 AM
link   
is it true that russia sold china mig-31s?, probably some downgraded mig-25

posted on Oct, 16 2003 @ 06:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by SectorGaza

No?

I havent seen any Chinese MiG-25s or MiG-31s..

I think that this is only a rumor..

posted on Oct, 16 2003 @ 06:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by FULCRUM

No?

I havent seen any Chinese MiG-25s or MiG-31s..

I think that this is only a rumor..

look what i have found:

UNCONFIRMED**** Russia and China concluded an agreement to transfer twenty four MiG-31 FOXHOUND fighters to China in 1992. The agreement included a deal to manufacture up to 200 more inside China. The transfer cannot be confirmed in that NO MiG-31 aircraft have appeared in the PLAAF inventory at this time. U.S. intelligence sources indicate that the MiG-31 may be used by the PLAAF in an anti-satellite role by firing a specialized missile.

posted on Oct, 16 2003 @ 06:38 AM
link   
Gaza,

I have found the same thing..

But there are no facts to support that claim..

And i doubt that Russians would sell MiG-31s to China..

As MiG-31s are the first line of Russian defences..

And Russians consider China as potential enemy..

posted on Oct, 16 2003 @ 02:18 PM
link   
I heard about a 2 fighters that crashed here in the U.S. at base on a news channel. Anyone know what they were?

posted on Oct, 16 2003 @ 06:19 PM
link   
The 2 fighters that went down were F-18's. I don't remember where though.

posted on Oct, 16 2003 @ 06:31 PM
link   

Pilots from MIG-31 aircraft survived

Both pilots of the MiG-31 aircraft that crashed in the Tver region have survived and are undergoing medical examination, the Russian emergencies ministry reported.

The incident took place Tuesday at 2.54 Moscow time in the Staritsky district near the Borovaya village. According to preliminary information, the aircraft's uncontrollable fall was caused by an engine ignition.

Reports say no victims or damage have been registered at the site of the accident.

there were only 7 mig-31 losses over 10 years, this is the 8 time
, there are no analogs to the mig-31 yet.

btw im back now, i couldnt log in because i couldnt retrive my password

it looks like a MiG-25 dont it

posted on Oct, 16 2003 @ 11:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by KrazyIvan

it looks like a MiG-25 dont it

Hmm,

No it doesnt?

Not anymore than F-111 looks like F-14..

posted on Oct, 17 2003 @ 08:19 AM
link   
MDP long-range interceptor with single-fin duck with a double delta wing and canard wing. and an internal weapons bay was supposed to replace mig-31, this project was closed in 1993, but who really knows, putin may be flying one of those as we speak
, i also know that they wanted to make a business-class airplane from it

[Edited on 17-10-2003 by SectorGaza]

[Edited on 17-10-2003 by SectorGaza]

posted on Oct, 17 2003 @ 08:56 PM
link   
The MIG31 does look like the -25 because, would you believe, its just an upgraded -25.

Second, Russia had just collapsed in 92 and had a shortage of money, so its likely they did in fact sell some to China.

posted on Oct, 17 2003 @ 09:12 PM
link   
In the course of the MiG-31 testing, there were flying laboratories (FL) widely used, which were derived from other aircraft - two Tu-104 FLs (1970 and 1972) to test the Zaslon radar, the MiG-21 FL (1970) to test the K-33 missile systems, the MiG-25P-10 FL (1973) to check the K-33 missile catapult start, the MiG-25PU (1975) to test the SAU-155MP automatic control system and the KN-25 navigation system, the MiG-25RB FL (product 99, 1976) to test and operationally develop the D-30F-6 engines. Stage B of the Joint official testing began in September 1979 and finished in September 1980 when for the first time the series aircraft were deployed with AD Forces line units. In accordance with a directive of the USSR Council of Ministers dated 6 May 1981, the MiG-31 interceptor boasting the RP-31 radar and R-33 missiles entered the inventory.
The production modification of MiG -31B was equipped with in-flight refuelling system. In 1985-86 the new versions of an airplane - interceptor MiG-31M and ASAT MiG-31D, and in 1998 multi-purpose MiG-31BM have appeared

posted on Dec, 22 2003 @ 08:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by DeltaNine
The MIG31 does look like the -25 because, would you believe, its just an upgraded -25.

Second, Russia had just collapsed in 92 and had a shortage of money, so its likely they did in fact sell some to China.

Its quite different aircraft..

MiG-31 and -25 are much more different than F/A-18 C/E and these too really are totally different.

Also..

China doesnt got any MiG-31s.

top topics

join