It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iran hints the possibility of leaving the Nuclear Nonproliferation Treaty.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 24 2006 @ 11:18 AM
link   
Link ]Link[/url]

TEHRAN, Iran - President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad hinted Monday that Iran was considering withdrawing from the worldwide Nuclear Nonproliferation Treaty and said he did not think the U.N. Security Council would impose sanctions on Iran.

Well thats that. If Iran withdraws and they makes nuclear weapons, it aint illegal I believe. Since the treaty states that.

fas.org...

Non-nuclear-weapon States Parties undertake not to acquire or produce nuclear weapons or nuclear explosive devices. They are required also to accept safeguards to detect diversions of nuclear materials from peaceful activities, such as power generation, to the production of nuclear weapons or other nuclear explosive devices.

We know they want nuclear weapons, since it comes with the status and they can finally achieve the unthinkable...the destruction of Israel, something they failed to do for decades. I'm not surprise by this.

posted on Apr, 24 2006 @ 11:57 AM
link   
Everyone knows Iran maintains it does not want to develop nuclear weapons. So what "I'm not developing nuclear weapons excuse" could Iran come up with to justify withdrawing from this treaty? I'm just trying to think of what Iran might try to say to the Arab World.

Despite my earlier thread "war with Iran is inevitable so what do we do about it" I've come up one way this whole thing could a farce. Maybe Iran just wants to increase the price of oil? Seriously the Iranian president has said $100 a barrel is "a fair price". You might not believe it but all this speculation about Iran has risen the price of oil massively for Iran and all oil exporting countries (including Russia). And "coincidently" the world oil price has fallen a bit steeply within just over the last 24 hours.

From my (rather Western point of view) Iranian oil revenue would be the one way of making sense of EVERY recent Iranian action. In this context the only exception might be losing out on the "possible" world trade organisation membership which seemed to be on offer at the beginning of this nuclear crisis. That said maybe that's still a future possibility (if this whole thing is really about oil money). In fact it would kind of qualify them for world trade membership!!! (Obviously no brownie points scored in reality through; but I myself tend to like money more than brownie points).

If Iran is ready to withdraw from the non-proliferation treaty then their defence/ nuclear weapons programme must be far more developed than previously thought. I personally didn’t know they were ready to receive a missile strike (or even possible liquidation depending on how they respond) at this time of month. But a week is a long time in politics, so let's hope even longer to avoid the otherwise inevitable military logistics.

new topics

join