It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is love worth the heartache?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 5 2006 @ 06:30 AM
link   
is it better to have loved or not loved at all? Love is very worth the heartach or headach provided that you found the right person or creature to love. I love my cat..... emotionally not physically!!!!!

Do not give out your love so easily, some people or creatures do not seem worthy of your love and will hurt you later. If you have a big heart, extremely good natured or do not hurt easily than give out lots of love. But if you hurt easily or can't take much emotional damage than give your love only to the ones you think are worthy to you.

People who are good natured in general are normally nice people as well. To me petty, selfish, selfcentered people are normally unworthy of showing love to them as they will normally hurt you (my opinion).

Try and get to know the person very well before commiting your love and you won't be hurt so often. Make sure that the love is mutual.

posted on Jul, 5 2006 @ 06:52 AM
link   
sorry, but for a lot of people, the word love is simply misunderstood co-dependency.

anyone who is hurt by 'giving their heart away' is simply allowing the actions of someone else to affect their everyday life. when you realize that you need to take control of your emotions and stop letting other peoples actions 'force' you into feeling bad, then you'll start to understand that the true meaning of 'love' is a lot more mellow than you ever believed.

posted on Jul, 5 2006 @ 08:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by 25cents
you need to take control of your emotions and stop letting other peoples actions 'force' you into feeling bad, then you'll start to understand that the true meaning of 'love' is a lot more mellow than you ever believed.

Right on, dude.

maturity comes from realizing that you are not responsible for the interior lives of other people; conversely, they are not responsible for your inner thoughts and feelings.

Like my football coach used to say: pain is obligatory, but misery is optional.

posted on Jul, 5 2006 @ 08:12 AM
link   
you old coach sounds like my kind of guy!

posted on Jul, 6 2006 @ 10:28 PM
link   
Never ask a question unless you are willing to hear and accept the answer.

Methinks the same applies to love.

However, the thing that I'm learning right now is to *not* hand myself (my self) over to another person... not in the sense that my life is dependant on them. I have to make my own decisions separate from his.. they may, or may not, coincide with his needs/wants, but I have to do things for myself. If not, **then I have nothing to give**.

I've never understood the words 'if you don't love yourself, then you can't love someone else.' Frankly, I think it's only half true. Right now, I like myself.. that's as far as I've come. But I love him for who he is.. I will love him no matter what -- but that does not mean that I will sacrifice my dreams if his path moves in a different direction (which is a very hard thing for me to come to terms with...) In fact, I will love him more for having the strength to pull away, to know when enough is enough.

Everything is easier said than done. That's why actions speak louder than words. (That's also why I don't deal in promises anymore.. either do it, or don't do it.. just don't tell me that you're gonna, or about how easy it is..)

"I do my thing,
and you do your thing.

I am not in this world
to live up to your
expectations

And you are not in this
world to live up to mine.

You are you and I am I,
And if by chance we find each other,

It's beautiful." -- Frederick S. Perls

posted on Jul, 7 2006 @ 09:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by Diseria

I've never understood the words 'if you don't love yourself, then you can't love someone else.'

Maybe the other half would come into play if you said it this way:

"You shall love your neighbor as you love yourself"

just kidding.

There is a psychologist from the 90's (female) who said that most boys grow up craving independence, but what they need most for proper development is relationship. Conversely, what most little girls grow up craving is relationship, and what they need to develop is independence.

posted on Jul, 16 2006 @ 12:09 AM
link   
I am glad so many different opinions are being expressed. I truly believe that love is not being dependant on another individual, but the chance to share a part of yourself with a willing partner. I do, and always will have feelings for the first love of my life. I have come to the understanding that it is the way certain individuals make you feel when being around them. Will the pain stop hurting when I do find that special someone? My answer is no, I will have memories (both good and bad). This post has made me realize that all trials that deal with love are potentially worth every moment. It all comes down to how people deal with each given situation. Thank you to every one for posting, hoping for more.

posted on Aug, 6 2006 @ 11:16 PM
link   
Alright, I must say yes, it's worth it. Hell, I've got fun stuff to deal with even 5 months after my most recent break up, but would I have done anything different? Only in the aftermath of the relationship (don't really need to go into that here). Oh well, it doesn't mean I'm not better for the relationship. My train of thought has derailed, I was going to say something deep but it got lost in the reaches of my brain.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join