It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why did he stop believing in God?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 23 2006 @ 07:00 PM
link   
I knew this guy once (he dead now :-(

We worked together in construction (Construction taught me one thing........I didn't want to do that my whole life lol). He always carried his little Bible around and was always trying to convert me (Born again or something like that). Then one day a hammer fell on his head and knocked him out cold (I think he was out for over an hour). They took him to the hospital and I saw him again 2 weeks (or so) later. I noticed he didn't have his Bible with him but he seemed ok otherwise. So, I asked him where his Bible was, and "he said he didn't believe that stuff anymore"!?
Well, I thought "Whoa dude" you must have brain damage!" I never saw him with his Bible after that, and I have always wondered, WTF happened to him? Did the Devil throw the hammer on his head or did God abandon the poor bastard? Anyways, from that incident, I had to believe that some brain chemistry deal was responsible for people either being everything from Atheist to all out Bible Thumping. Just my take anyways, was wondering if anyone else had any thoughts on it.

TommyTrouble

posted on Apr, 23 2006 @ 07:52 PM
link   
Sometimes people, without even realizing it, use God/Bible as a talisman. If they do/say the right thing, no harm will come to them. (Mind you, I am saying this as just a possibile situation for him.) He may have had a hurt in his Life and turned to God/Bible. When he saw God as failing to protect him, of course why would he continue to believe? "God must not be a good god to let that happen or is not around when I need him."
Rule #1 God never leaves! He is always present. (I sure wouldn't want a God who's off sunning himself on the beach when I need him '
' We,on the other hand, might not see Him.
Rule #2 We humans make God do too much/Give God more credit than he deserves! God did not send a hammer flying into that poor man's head. Someone dropped it, an earthquake knocked it off a beam, etc.
As long as we have brains, we'll have brain chemistry. Sometimes people with organic or environmental brain problems do display odd religious/God behaviors. If they're not harming others, no problem. I sadly remember a troubled youth who "discovered" God, carried his Bible and talked of God often. Then one day I heard he had murdured another teen, another young man who was making fun of his brother who was in a wheel chair. I hope he will be ministered in prison. I hope he will find Peace in this Life someday.

posted on Apr, 23 2006 @ 08:07 PM
link   
Hey TT

I was thinking over a response to this thread when it got moved over here to FS&T. I had to track it down. I guess the mods didn't find an adequate conspiracy angle. Still a relevant thread, imo.

did God abandon

As far as I know, this doesn't happen. My understanding is our sins separate us from God. I'm not saying that the man's sins is why the hammer fell on his head, but maybe something else happened in his life that led him away from his devotion and conversion efforts between the injury and when you saw him again.

Did the Devil throw the hammer on his head

It is possible, I suppose, that the destroyer, the accuser and deceiver, the evil one, had a hand in that hammer falling on this man's head. The devil can't stand allegiance to God, the Creator.

In scripture, even Jesus Christ Himself was separated briefly from God when He took on the sin of all mankind on the cross, when God expended His wrath upon His only begotten Son, that prophecy may be fulfilled, and that we may be saved.

Matthew 27:46

46 And about the ninth hour Jesus cried with a loud voice, saying, Eli, Eli, lama sabachthani? that is to say, My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me?

Mark 15:34 echos this passage.

He died for me (all of us), that I may be, a child of God.

[edit on 23-4-2006 by Icarus Rising]

posted on Apr, 23 2006 @ 09:09 PM
link   
Only God knows if he was saved. Alot of people know what the Bible says but have never accepted Christ as Savior.

God has told us He will never leave us nor forsake us. So if that was no longer close to God, God is not the one who moved.

new topics

top topics

join