It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Who Really Profits at the Pumps?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 23 2006 @ 06:42 PM
link   
When was the last time you paid attention to the federal and state taxes added to the price of a gallon or liter of gasoline? Why would the federal or state governments care about you! They have done nothing about the foreign invasion of Mexicans. Why would they choose to intervene in this situation?

posted on Apr, 23 2006 @ 07:17 PM
link   
Well I know that most gas sold in the first world is in fact largely taxed as a percentage of its retail cost. Next in line to benefit would be the producers themselves since I can't see how the distributors and retailers would automatically benefit from higher prices but I know producers do. Lastly we have the financial markets and banks which trade most commodities and are the ones make profits on the move in commodity prices.

In a short answer all the 'Brotherhood' gang make all the profits and everyone else gets the shaft.

posted on Apr, 23 2006 @ 09:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by denythestatusquo
Well I know that most gas sold in the first world is in fact largely taxed as a percentage of its retail cost.

that's not entirely true. some states have a flat tax, like washington state

Washington $.28 gasoline $.28 diesel

Source: US FUEL TAX RATES BY STATE

check your own state out at this site

plus the fed government has a flat 18.4 cent flat tax

posted on Apr, 23 2006 @ 09:25 PM
link   
Thanks for the link I checked it out and found that taxation varies per state. I live in Canada and I know that most taxes are fixed as a base amount but there is also various percentage taxes in some jurisdictions.

There is also the issue of SALES TAXES which are always a percentage of sales and I know they apply up here but I don't know how they are applied in the US. I'm assuming that some states do levy sales taxes on retail sales of fuel. If so then that bolsters the argument of many critics that the government has little incentive to lower retail sales prices of gasoline and other fuels as it would lower sales taxes generated as revenues.

posted on Apr, 27 2006 @ 10:55 PM
link   
I know here in Southeastern Ohio that the average retailer makes one cent per gallon, however there are drive offs, losses and etc they lose, for the most part they rely upon the convenience stores profit on grocery and cigarette items. When the price at the pump is high, most will flee to find the lowest price, thus they lose business. I have seen some price fuel at below their cost to have retail customers. This information was from Lykins Oil. The only way we could combat this is to PARK OUR CARS for about a week or so?! I wanna buy a horse.

top topics

join