It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bad news for soldiers who carry grenades

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 23 2006 @ 05:44 PM
link   
Ok, I'm sure people have seen soldiers who carry Grenade launchers or have rifles with underbarrel grenade launchers-the soldiers are covered in pockets full of grenades! Even average soldiers carry around 8 hand grenades. Well here's what I think-even though this soldiers pack a punch, they are extrememly vulnerable. If a bullet hits one of those grenades, not only will the soldier be blown to pieces, but any soldiers near him will also be killed-THAT DOESN'T SOUND GOOD. So all those soldiers covered in grenades not only pose a danger to themselves(their bullet-proof vest doesn't do any good here) but also to their fellow soldiers. I don't know how I would resolve this problem, but they could at least wear their bullet proof vest OVER the pockets of grenades and hide their hand grenades where the bullets won't set them off.

posted on Apr, 23 2006 @ 07:22 PM
link   
Are the 'German' stick grenades still in production?

ALSO: What have happened to Muzzle loaded Rifle Grenades (Muzzlebombs) recently?
Have they been taken over by 40mm Underbarrel Launchers?

posted on Apr, 23 2006 @ 07:52 PM
link   
Are you talking about the "potato masher" anti personel grenade?

As for grenade launchers, personally I can see the 20mm OICW type being the future. Even though I'm still partial to 40mm.

Barrel launched grenades are still popular, but used in third nation countries more than first. They are around but fading out as old tech is replaced by new.

There has always been risks involved in having munitions strapped on you. But look at it his way, grenade or huge canister of flame thrower juice.

posted on Apr, 23 2006 @ 07:57 PM
link   
A bullet hitting a grenade is not going to set it off...

Some info on grenades...

www.fas.org...

www.military-sf.com...

[edit on 23/4/2006 by ANOK]

posted on Apr, 23 2006 @ 09:35 PM
link   
Are you 100% sure a bullet won't set off a grenade?

posted on Apr, 23 2006 @ 09:48 PM
link   
This sources don't say anything about a grenade not going off when hit by a bullet. It seems to me you are talking about a specific grenade that can't be set off by being shot. Maybe there are some grenades that can't be set off from being hit for all I know, but the MAJORITY would be set off, especially the ones that are for grenade launchers.

If there is a grenade that won't be set off by assault rifle fire, why don't you tell me a little about it?

posted on Apr, 23 2006 @ 09:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Russian soldier
Are you 100% sure a bullet won't set off a grenade?

Yes. It needs some kind of ignition to set it off, like any kind of explosives.

Here is another link about how grenades work.

science.howstuffworks.com...

If you think I'm wrong why don't you explain how a bullet would set one off?...

[edit on 23/4/2006 by ANOK]

posted on Apr, 23 2006 @ 10:14 PM
link   
Most modern hand grenades use what is called insensitive High Explosive, which is extremely shock resistant. For example, shooting a bullet into a block of C4 will not set it off, same with hand grenades.
The only ones which are susceptible to bullets are grenades with White Phosphorus fills, whereby a bullet can crack the casing and expose the WP to air causing it to conflagarate.

posted on Apr, 23 2006 @ 10:20 PM
link   
ANOK is right.

Grenades detonator is armed only when it is fired, and hitting one with a bullet while it's hanging on the vest or sitting in the pocket will only save the soldier from a bullet hole.

With out a very specific detonation catalyst, HE will only slowly burn if is was purposefully set on fire

posted on Apr, 23 2006 @ 10:21 PM
link   
Hey, look at here, mad scientist is correct here to, what a thing.

posted on Apr, 23 2006 @ 10:22 PM
link   
Thank you all of you!!!
Leave it to ATS to set the record straight..
I was going to list the tech. reason that the 40mm ( I assume thats what he is talking about) wont go off if shot, but you all did it so much better than me.
US soldiers are a lot of things, but stupid is not one of them.

posted on Apr, 24 2006 @ 09:21 AM
link   
Flashbangs can explode after a hit

But they are non-lethal grenades. I mean the new flashbangs with magnesium (Mg) and not the old ones with phosphor (P).
The only thing what happens is that the grenade explodes fortunatly no porblem if you wear a bulletproof vest.

posted on Apr, 24 2006 @ 09:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by iskander
ANOK is right.

Grenades detonator is armed only when it is fired, and hitting one with a bullet while it's hanging on the vest or sitting in the pocket will only save the soldier from a bullet hole.

With out a very specific detonation catalyst, HE will only slowly burn if is was purposefully set on fire

Also, the grenade is rounded. More likely the bullet would hit the grenade and 'slide' or 'richocet' off. If it was something thin like a smoke grenade, a bullet would penetrate, but with heavier grenades, it be really hard.

new topics

top topics

join