It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Australia Braces for Cyclone Monica: Cat 5/350kph

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 23 2006 @ 03:43 PM
link   

Northern Australia is getting hit yet again by another record breaking cyclone this season. Cyclone Monica adds to the theory that global warming is increasing hurricane intensity.

Austrailian BOM 256 km Gove Radar

More radar images at Australian Weather Watch Radar

TROPICAL CYCLONE ADVICE NUMBER 60
Issued by the BUREAU OF METEOROLOGY, DARWIN
at 5:00 am CST Monday 24 April 2006

The VERY DESTRUCTIVE core of SEVERE TROPICAL CYCLONE Monica with gusts to 350
kilometres per hour is currently affecting the islands off the northeast Arnhem
Land coast, including the northern parts of ELCHO ISLAND. The VERY DESTRUCTIVE
core is then expected to cross the north coast between MILINGIMBI and CROKER
ISLAND later today. source

350 kilometer/hour = 218 mile/hour (mph)

Get the lastest info and track map at BOM's:
Darwin Tropical Cyclone Warning Centre

More info here:
Cyclone Monica at NRL Monterey Marine Meteorology Division
Cyclone Monia at Joint Typhoon Warning Center
Phil's Typhoons and Weather Page

Flashback: ATS: Residents flee as worst cyclone in decades heads for Australian coast.
(Cyclone Larry hits Australia on 19-3-2006 with gusts at 280 kph)

[edit on 23-4-2006 by Regenmacher]

posted on Apr, 23 2006 @ 07:22 PM
link   
Son of a........

That is a huge storm. Hope every one in N.AU. will be ok! This thing may be ibadder than Tip. IIRC And I think Tip was at highest strength in the middle of the Pacific.
CY:Monica

posted on Apr, 24 2006 @ 05:46 AM
link   
Cyclone Monica makes landfall.

Cyclone Monica tracks straight for Darwin
To the Northern Territory now, and residents along the coastline are facing evacuation and preparing emergency shelters as Cyclone Monica continues to track straight for Darwin.

The category five cyclone is hovering off the Arnhem Land coast and could start battering the Northern Territory capital by early tomorrow.

And as Lindy Kerin reports, Monica could turn out to be one the most destructive cyclones the Top End has ever seen.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Cyclone Monica could be the most severe on record: Forecasters
Bureau of Meteorology spokesman, Mike Bergin, told the ABC Monica could be the most severe tropical cyclone seen anywhere along the Australian coastline.

The latest Tropical Cyclone Track and Threat Map and Tropical Cyclone Advice are available from:
www.bom.gov.au...

posted on Apr, 24 2006 @ 06:20 AM
link   
My Prayers go out to the people of Darwin. The place was destroyed once before on Christmas Day 1974, lest hope it's different this time .

Cyclone Tracy

posted on Apr, 24 2006 @ 06:24 AM
link   

With respect to the impending cyclone, the Aussies have a great sense of humor.

posted on Apr, 24 2006 @ 06:43 AM
link   
G'day all,

As a fellow aussie, I know that we have the nerve, the sense of humour and the will to make it through any predicament that is thrust upon us, both man-made and natural and this is why the Aussie spirit and nature is envied and admired throughout the world.

Personally, I reckon something is going on with weather manipulation weapons in that Australia hasnt had such a strong, destructiveand multiple season as the current one before. The season started late, but by god it did catch-up. All the storms this season have been particularly severe. Perhaps my conspiracy theory regarding weather manipulation may be incorrect and even if it is due to global warming then we may have worse cyclones in seasons to come and more frequent. And dont forget that if it is due to glabl warming, then they will slowly head more southwards to the point where Brisbane may be uder threat and/or even Coffs Harvour in northern NSW.

Hold on tight Darwin, the rest of the country's riding this storm with 'ya, trust me and have a safe ANZAC Day!

Melbourne_Militia

posted on Apr, 25 2006 @ 08:28 AM
link   
Tropical Low Monica is forecasted to reform to a category 1 cyclone in the Timor Sea.

Monica's not done yet -NEWS.com.au
CYCLONE Monica has weakened to a tropical low over the Northern Territory, but is forecast to move back to sea and intensify again before menacing Western Australia.

"Squally winds are currently being experienced over the northwestern Darwin-Daly district and the southern Tiwi Islands," Ms Farlow said. "There's no damage that I'm aware of in Darwin ... for Darwin you could say that (it was a non-event) but not for other parts such as Maningrida, Jabiru and Milingimbi.

128 km Darwin (Berrimah) Radar -click for current radar

TROPICAL CYCLONE ADVICE NUMBER 73
Issued by the BUREAU OF METEOROLOGY, DARWIN
at 8:00 pm CST Tuesday 25 April 2006

The low is expected to re-intensify into a tropical cyclone
during Wednesday and to start moving southwest at a slightly faster speed
towards the north Kimberley coast. source

Hope everyone is okay in OZ!

[edit on 25-4-2006 by Regenmacher]

posted on Apr, 25 2006 @ 06:26 PM
link   
I hope everyone in the land down under are ok. Are their any offical surface observations to report? I'm curious what the highest speed was that got recorded. The number should be insane.

posted on Apr, 25 2006 @ 08:28 PM
link   
Latest data says it doesn't look like she will reform.

Ex-cyclone Monica 'unlikely' to reform ABC.NET.AU

At 7 am CST [5:30 am WST] a TROPICAL LOW [EX-TROPICAL CYCLONE Monica] was
located near the coast about 100 kilometres southwest of DARWIN and 40
kilometres north of DALY RIVER MOUTH, and was moving south at 10 kilometres per
hour. The low will most likely continue on a southerly track near the coast. On
that track it would be unlikely to redevelop into a cyclone. source

She did some damage though:
Monica flattens remote town -The Age

Winnie and Jimmy Mason with the wreckage of their home in Maningrida.

Arnhem Land bears brunt of Monica's wrath

The wind-recording instrument at the police station broke at 170 km/h early yesterday.

"The gales were much higher — it came in as a category five storm, which is very frightening," Ms Wrzesinska said. "The eye of the storm was only 10 kilometres off the coast from here." Trees snapped and were uprooted. Sheets of iron, exhaust fans, timber and rubbish bins turned into missiles that shot through the darkness, often spearing into buildings.

[edit on 25-4-2006 by Regenmacher]

posted on Apr, 25 2006 @ 08:30 PM
link   
Australia does not have weather recon flights like US does and Im pretty sure the worst of the storm was over desolate areas. There is little in the way of direct observations for this storm, however the few weather stations in the area failed, whick means they saw very big winds. If the estimation of a pressure below 900mb at landfall is correct or even close then this is the strongest cyclone(or hurricane or typhoon) to have made landfall in my lifetime. As mentioned in this topic, the Aussies have the right attitude when it comes to dealing with forces of nature.

I have looked at correlations between Australia's landfalling cyclones and the US's landfalls later in the year and there appears to be a correlation when storms hit Australia they tend to hit the US as well. In other words the US Atlantic and Gulf coasts are likely to have another rough hurricane season if the correlation holds true for the '06 season. No one wants to hear that but that is the risk we take for living on the coast.

posted on Apr, 25 2006 @ 08:44 PM
link   
My thoughts and prayers go out to everyone there. I hope this storm moves through as quickly as possible and people are safe! Those of us in New Orleans and the gulf coast are thinking of you all!

As for the storm, well, that sucker is huge. I expected to see something much smaller, but looking at the photos, I can only say wow. It gives me chills.

posted on Apr, 25 2006 @ 09:04 PM
link   
Oh no, I hope I didn't miss ANDAC Day.

DAISYFIELD
by Dave Walker

Soft, yellow and white,
beautiful in my sight
My fate has been revealed
in this Turkish daisy field

Who's wrong and who's right
and who'll win this fight
It's neither here nor there,