It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sundays

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 23 2006 @ 02:00 PM
link   
In America Sunday has taditionally been the Sabbath/Holyday, with no business conducted that day. For countries who do not come from a religious tradition/belief in Old Testament, what do they do on Sunday? Is there another holyday or none?

posted on Apr, 23 2006 @ 03:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by desert
In America Sunday has taditionally been the Sabbath/Holyday, with no business conducted that day. For countries who do not come from a religious tradition/belief in Old Testament, what do they do on Sunday? Is there another holyday or none?

I do not know what they would do...

I do know Sunday is not the Sabbath never was and never will be.

Gen 2:2 And on the seventh day God ended his work which he had made; and he rested on the seventh day from all his work which he had made.
Gen 2:3 And God blessed the seventh day, and sanctified it: because that in it he had rested from all his work which God created and made.

(Fourth Commandment)

Exo 20:8 Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy.
Exo 20:9 Six days shalt thou labour, and do all thy work:
Exo 20:10 But the seventh day is the sabbath of the LORD thy God: in it thou shalt not do any work, thou, nor thy son, nor thy daughter, thy manservant, nor thy maidservant, nor thy cattle, nor thy stranger that is within thy gates:
Exo 20:11 For in six days the LORD made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day: wherefore the LORD blessed the sabbath day, and hallowed it.

posted on Apr, 23 2006 @ 05:02 PM
link   
The idea of 'weekends,' in general, as well as being set aside for something other than employment, is not a world-wide concept, from what I know. (but I could of course be wrong).

I think it is just another day--in which all daily things require being done...

posted on Apr, 23 2006 @ 10:45 PM
link   
I could be wrong here...but I believe that Friday is sacred to Islam...and in Jerusalem you can have some serious issues if you drive through Ultra-Orthodox neighborhoods on Saturday (the above poster is quite correct, the original Christians kept the Saturday Sabbath at least until into the 2nd century).

posted on Apr, 24 2006 @ 10:11 AM
link   
To my limited knowlege the word Sabbath means rest,peace, Shalom, or Salem.

Peace be with you ..
Peace/Rest is the name of my Lord..among many. It is not a day. I rest in Him ..all day ..every day..24/7. 365 days per year.

As a New Testament Believer..I am instructed not to observe days , times, months, and years. Not to hold one day above another. For all days belong to the Lord.

People meet on Sundays because that is the day most of them have off from work. Many work 6 to 7 days a week. Many observe Wednesday evenings to attend Worship. Nothing wrong with this or Sundays as a day to come together in Worship.

I have come to realize that this is a concept or line of thinking that is very foreign to many who claim the name of Jesus Christ. To much traditions of men blocking thier thinking.
THe Lord Jesus the Christ for remission of sins..is the Sabbath, Peace, Rest ..among many of His names. The Sabbath is a person in the New Testament. Anything else is Olde Testament bondage.
This concept of the Christians observing by traditions of men Sundays or Saturdays as the Sabbath is also what galls many non believers in that they recognize ungodly conduct any day but on Worship day. THey think this is undiciplined. I must agree with many of them. Many Christians cannot think this through ..hence it is easy for many non believers to put them in a corner by thier own words and traditions.

Many other religions keep days and festivals..daykeeping. ...observing days,times, months and years. Not me...not intrested. I'll seperate from that stuff thanks.

All days are my Lord's days. This is why I will not observe one day above another ...but remember Him. His Sabbath/Rest..every day.

Thanks,
Orangetom

posted on Apr, 24 2006 @ 11:08 AM
link   
Sunday is not necessarily the "true" Sabbath. However, as The Apostle Paul taught, it is "OK" to worship ANY day of the week. Friday sundown to Saturday sundown is also not necessarily the true Sabbath as some people -mostly Jewish- observe. In the year 2006, according to the solar calendar, the Sabbath is Tuesday sundown to Wednesday sundown. Next year it will be Wednesday sundown to Thursday sundown.

So, the point is to remember the Sabbath Day of rest and keep it Holy. Whether you/we do this on Monday or Friday I do not think matters really. I've been observing the Sabbath as the Jewish people do and I find it hard for me to switch to the Tues/Weds observance. My entire household changes on the Sabbath, all production ceases and we listen to praises and we do not discuss money or worries nor do we buy/sell. I actually look forward to the Sabbath now and even begin preparing for it at the beginning of the week!

There are a few Churches around here who congregate on Sabbath, however I think again, going back to Paul's teachings, that it is fine to worship any day of the week, provided we also remember the Sabbath and keep it Holy.

*I have read that some people believe that Sunday worship is a part of the mark of the beast..now whether that is true or not, noone can say. I guess I just find that hard to swallow as truth being that most people who attend and worship on Sunday are truly doing this for God and I just can't see anything wrong with that*

For the times we live in, not all people are fortunate enough to have Sabbath day off from work, but most people are able to take off on Sunday. I think God understands this and has no problem with it. I think that if you are having to work on the Sabbath then just think about it, remember it and honour it the best way you can. Maybe talk about God and Jesus to people, be more friendly, just do something you normally would not do during the rest of the week...

[edit on 4/24/06 by magestica]

posted on Apr, 24 2006 @ 02:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by orangetom1999
To my limited knowlege the word Sabbath means rest,peace, Shalom, or Salem.

Peace be with you ..
Peace/Rest is the name of my Lord..among many. It is not a day. I rest in Him ..all day ..every day..24/7. 365 days per year.

I rest in Him all days too, but one has not to do with the other here.

As a New Testament Believer..I am instructed not to observe days , times, months, and years. Not to hold one day above another. For all days belong to the Lord.

Yes all days belong to the Lord. Again this has nothing to do with the other.

People meet on Sundays because that is the day most of them have off from work. Many work 6 to 7 days a week. Many observe Wednesday evenings to attend Worship. Nothing wrong with this or Sundays as a day to come together in Worship.

So we should for get the law of God and keep Sunday holy because it conflicts with our work schedule? No...
Sabbath is the seventh day. In that day no work is to be done. It is the only day sanctified. Show me in the Bible where the Sabbath day has changed?

There is nothing wrong giving praise and giving thanks all days of the week. One has nothing to do with the other.

I have come to realize that this is a concept or line of thinking that is very foreign to many who claim the name of Jesus Christ. To much traditions of men blocking thier thinking.
THe Lord Jesus the Christ for remission of sins..is the Sabbath, Peace, Rest ..among many of His names. The Sabbath is a person in the New Testament. Anything else is Olde Testament bondage.

Bondage? so God delivered the children of Isreal out of the bondage of Egypt into Bondage of His law?... No, This is what the Pharisees, jews, and religions of today are making it in to. Bondage. The Sabbath is a delight. This is not traditions of men. This is the Law of God. Jesus came to fulfill the law, not to destroy it. Jesus even said it:

Matthew 5:17
17Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil.

This concept of the Christians observing by traditions of men Sundays or Saturdays as the Sabbath is also what galls many non believers in that they recognize ungodly conduct any day but on Worship day. THey think this is undiciplined. I must agree with many of them. Many Christians cannot think this through ..hence it is easy for many non believers to put them in a corner by thier own words and traditions.

I understand what you are saying here; but Christians are to never do ungodly conduct any day of the week. The Sabbath is a day of rest from worldly works from making prophet; spending time in His word and keeping the day holy unto the Lord. It is the only day He sanctified.

Many other religions keep days and festivals..daykeeping. ...observing days,times, months and years. Not me...not intrested. I'll seperate from that stuff thanks.

I agree with; but this has nothing to do with the weekly Sabbath.

All days are my Lord's days. This is why I will not observe one day above another ...but remember Him. His Sabbath/Rest..every day.

Yes again every day is unto the Lord. This has nothing to do with observing day over another in that regard. Show me in the Bible where Jesus is the Sabbath or became the Sabbath.

Matthew 22
36Master, which is the great commandment in the law?
37Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind.
38This is the first and great commandment.

above is commandments 1-4

Matthew 22
39And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.
40On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets.
*Underline and bolding added

above is commandments 6-10; making all 10 commandments. Jesus came to fulfill not to destroy. We keep the commandments becuase we are saved, not to be saved.

What is the best way to Love thy God with all thy heart and with all thy soul and with all thy mind?

John 14:15 If ye love me, keep my commandments.

Revelation 12:17 And the dragon was wroth with the woman, and went to make war with the remnant of her seed, which keep the commandments of God, and the testimony of Jesus Christ.

What is the testimony of Jesus?

Revelation 19:10 And I fell at his feet to worship him, And he said unto me, see thou do it not: I am thy fellow servant, and of thy brethren that have the testimony of Jesus: worship God: for the testimony of Jesus is the spirit of prophecy.

Revelation 14:12 Here is the patience of the saints: here are they that keep the commandments of God, and the faith of Jesus.
*Underline and bolding added

If you found error in what I presented. Please I ask you to show me how this is wrong with the Bible. Thank you.

posted on Apr, 25 2006 @ 12:41 AM
link   
I quite disagree with what you have posted...the premise..of day keeping..observing days.

Correct in Jesus came to fulfill the law..and he did. In this he is the law..the Sabbath..peace , Rest. Prince of Peace..He is the Sabbath..the fulfillment of the Law. On him rest all the Law and the prophets. He is the fulfillment of all this Law. The fulfillment of the Law is taken further in Him of which all the Law and the Prophets spoke.

Peace is one of His names among many names. To say Peace/rest be with you is to say Jesus be with you or my Lord be with you. Peace, rest or Sabbath. Salem.

THis rest is every day..all day..no matter what we are doing or not doing.

This has changed from the Olde Testament because He Fulfilled the Law.
It is finished. A finished work.

It has everything to do with the other. For He is Holy all day every day, all days.

The Olde Testament Law is our schoolmaster. To show us our need for a Savior.. for Grace....another of His names.

Remember Him every day all day and keep Him Holy. For He is the Sabbath the fulfillment of the Law as written.

Whenever two or more are gathered in His name ..there in the midst of them is He. Two or more gathered together is church..the Chruch meets and the church goes home. The church is not a building it is the congregation the assembly...meeting wherever,whenever. I have had this disagreement in chat rooms with Christians. Many do not realize that when we meet in chat rooms to give praise and glory to Him we are having church. For some reason so many seem to think it is the building. Traditions of men. As I recall at different times believers use to meet outdoors or in fields,in caves..anywhere they could. Very intresting to me how many do not seem to know this simple history of the early church.

The Lord Jesus the Christ for remission of sins is the Sabbath...a person not a day. IN him is the Law fulfilled. It is finished ..not on going.

Thanks,
Orangetom

posted on Apr, 25 2006 @ 10:15 AM
link   
Orangetom,

Are you saying then since I observe the Sabbath as a day. I have not put my complete faith in Jesus as the saviour?

Are you saying then if anyone is holding to observing a day as thee Sabbath they are under minding all what Jesus came to do for them and fulfill?

What you have said I have no refute. Through faith in Lord Jesus the Christ we keep all the commandments.

Perhaps I have been wrong; I will search the scriptures. Thank you.

*bahh spelling

[edit on 26-4-2006 by GameSetMatch]

posted on Apr, 25 2006 @ 10:25 AM
link   
Your post/both of them, have moved me in a way that has not stopped me thinking and talking about to others what you've written. For me, I still hold with the thinking that Jesus came not to abolish the law, but to fulfill them. Of course I don't think we today are as bound by the laws (the ten commandments) as those were in the Old Testament, but we are still meant to follow the laws.

What I've found is that when a person, such as myself, comes to know Jesus as the Son of God and Savior, is that I naturally desire to follow the laws and keep them. I feel that the closer I become to Jesus, the more I long to follow His ways and His teachings and thus the closer I become to God. It's a lot easier for me to explain when I'm talking rather that writing but nowhere does it say in the bible that Jesus came and died for us so that we would no longer have to keep His Commandments. He lives inside us when we accept Him, as do the Commandments, but again we are freed in Him yet bound with Him. We are not meant to be running wild in the world thinking we can break every law simply because He shed His blood for us, and that in the end we'll be saved.

I agree with you though, that He is Lord of the Sabbath, thus knowing and accepting and loving Him gives (me) people, a certain peace that I otherwise might not have ever known. There isn't a day, no matter what day of the week, that goes by where I don't think of Him and feel that I honour Him in some shape or fashion, however, there is an entire day that I long to put aside just for Him. That day becomes a complete day of rest, that means no laundry, no cooking, no TV or no outside/worldly influences to deter me and my family from resting in/with Him.

We can't do this everyday, for obvious reasons and it isn't always easy to do it for just 24 hours. But I must say that by putting an entire day aside for Him, it has brought me a greater sense of peace throughout the rest of the week, I am less tired, less stressed and just all around more calm in situations where I may have normally blown my top. Is it coincidence or blessing, I personally think it is the latter..

posted on Apr, 25 2006 @ 01:31 PM
link   
I must make this quick as it is soon necessary for me to shove off to work.

Very good post ..the last one you have made.

I need you to understand that in no way am I speaking badly of the Ten Commandments. They are excellent commandments to follow. So many problems among peoples would be solved without outside interference if more peoples adhered to these commandments instead of the traditions of men.

What has happened with the Advent of Grace..since the Cross when the Testator Died for us and brought in the New Testament by virtue of His death is that the Ten Commandments have been taken further ..to the Age of Grace. Unmerited Gift...Blessing. We still Observe the Ten Commandments but they have been taken further due to His Sacrafice.
As Christians we now Rest in Him...for he as you aptly stated is Lord of the Sabbath. He is the Sabbath by virtue of His Lordship.
This word we see so often in movies and literature...." Lord" This is no idle word..it denotes a concept called "Soverignty" ..no accident is is used and also no accident that so many are ignorant of its history.

We have a Soverign God...Lord...Soverign not subject to the traditions of men..thats what the word means...Lord. To be Soverign.
Many Feudal kings have sought to have this knowlege rubbed off on them by having a God we can see ..in their human reign. Thier feudal fiefdoms. So many men have attempted through the centurys to immitate or counterfit this system of our Lord by themselves being refered to as Lord or your Grace and having their crowns put on them by a handpicked priesthood. This gives the appearnce of Soverignty. In olde times this was often refered to as "Divine Right of Kings" a royal feudal immitation of our Lords Soverignty and all the baggage this imitation brought with it.
In the Western world the break away from this immitation of Divine Right of Kings is called. " Seperation of Church and State."
Our Lord is Soverign..Hence he is the Sabbath...all other immitations are the works of mens hands....counterfits..kingdoms made with hands. Our Lord has no need of such countefits or imitations. They are not of the Lord. This is a strong indicator of the name of the counterfitter if you understand what I am saying.

There is nothing wrong with meeting and worshipping on any day of the week. We are to meet , worship, give praise and glory , to make a joyous noise unto the Lord. Pick your day..whatever you want. As many as you want.
This picking a day to meet and worship in no way detracts from the concept that My Lord is the Sabbath..for He is Lord of the Sabbath. The Lord for whom the Law and the Prophets foretold.

Very good post you have made above.
Gotta shove off now..thanks,

Orangetom

posted on Apr, 26 2006 @ 08:51 AM
link   
My apologies as in my haste to shove off to work I missed your post.

No I am not saying that you do not put your complete faith in Jesus as the Savior. Not at all.

I am saying he is the Sabbath. We are to rest in him 24/7. This is what the word means Sabbath, Rest, Peace,Salem.

To use the expression "Peace be with you " is to say " The Lord Jesus Christ be with you."
For most belief systems peace means an abscence of strife. To a Christian the word Peace means the Lord Jesus the Christ for Remission of sins.

The Lord Jesus the Christ for remission of sins = Peace, Rest, Sabbath, Grace,Light, Immanuel, Salem, Mercy, and a host of other names.

Our rest is in Him ...24/7. We are to observe and keep Him thusly..all day every day. For He is Holy..He is the Sabbath.

We do not debate or argue over what day is the Sabbath since He is Lord of the Sabbath. He is the Sabbath.

As to what day to come together to worship..that is up to the individuals or members which make up the church. Meet once a week..several if you like.
But the New Testament Sabbath is a person...not a day. This keeps one out of all this Olde Tesatament tradition keeping, wisdom of men, and debating over what day or days to keep. For this is bondage to worry about what day to keep ..as if certain day or days are the Sabbath. This is what the Hebrew leadership were involved in. Such useless debates.

Many preachers or pastors.. do not teach this as it would lower the amounts in their plates if they did not keep the pews full on Sundays..or Saturdays or Wednesdays. They too have bills to pay.

I am not saying you do not put your full faith in Jesus Christ.
I am merely clarifying that the Sabbath is a person not a day. This takes mans will and thinking/logic and reason completely out of any such debate and puts it in the hands of the Lord Jesus the Christ for remission of sins...where it should be.

Thanks,
Orangetom

posted on Apr, 26 2006 @ 09:37 AM
link   
I need to take time and make a clarification or point about the Olde Testament.

The Olde Testament concerned a promise..a covenant..a Last Will and Testament to a certain people. There were as in all Wills and Testaments certain conditions governing this Covenant..or Testament. It was conditional upon the obedience of these people.
They were promised

1 A Land
2 A People
3 A Priesthood
4 A Sacrafice
5 A King

I should point out here that #5 A King was not a original promise as given by Moses on coming down Mt. Siani. Through Samuel, God spoke and delcared that he gave the Hebrews a King in his displeasure...or his dissappointment. God was not pleased in giving the Hebrews a King that they could see.

Notice something of importance here. Under these conditions..or promises...included in this was the concept of a Sabbath Day for worship To keep it Holy. Remember the Sabbath Day and keep it Holy.

Now notice that under the New Testament all of this is done away with and there is no Land, No People ,No Priesthood, No Sacrafice, No King as in the Old Testament configuration. This makes Olde Testament Levitical Priesthood impossible.

All of these five items promised to the Hebrew peoples are now embodied in the Lord Jesus the Christ for remission of sins.

He is the Sacrafice. It is finished..no more sacrafices needed..Made Once...a finished work.

He is the Land...His people are of every kindred and tounge on the face of the earth. Where ever you find His people there is He in the midst of them. His Kingdom is not of this world. Our Assemblys..when we meet and when we depart..are the Kingdom here on this earth. He is with us 24/7. IN this manner it is not a kingdom of this world...we are in this world but not of this world. WE are to be spiritual .in this not physical per se.

He is the Priesthood as our High Priest. No Levitical Priesthood needed. We are now all a royal priesthood in His Service.

He is our King..making all these man made feudal considerations ...moot. And his Kingdom is the Kingdom made without hands. Men and man made tradition/customs are not involved in this...including day keeping.

His people are where ever you find them...every kindred and tounge on this earth.
Foxes Book of Martyrs is a good read in discerning the trail of the Lords Church and people through the centurys..by the records of those who persecuted them unto death. Also see again the second part of this post concernig His Land ,meaning his people on this land.

All these five things..these promises..this Covenant ..are fulfilled in the Lord Jesus the Christ for Remission of Sins. By His once ..sacrafice of Himself..for us for our sins..he fulfilled all this Olde Testament requirements including the Olde Testamet Sabbath keeping..he fulfilled them all in Himself..in His Finished Work. This is why He is now the Sabbath. It is Finished.

With Him..in the completion of the Olde Testament...the fulfillment of the Will and Testament..he ushered in a New Testament...for the Testament is of non effect without the death of the Testator.
A will or promise of this type is not valid unless the Testator dies. THis is the last act of a Testator..his signature ...act to bring a Will and Testament into effect..the Testator must die. The signature effect to make a Will and Testament of effect is the death of the Testator..amazing to me how many people do not know this about a Last Will and Testament. For a will or promise of this type to be effective the Testator must die.
For it is obvious that our Lord did not die for the Olde Testament but the New Testament. For it is obvious and known that a Testator can change His Will and Testament as many time as He desires..the only one which will go into effect when He dies is the Last Will and Testament.

For this New Covenant was foretold in the Olde Covenant. THe Olde Testament was not done away with ..particulary the Ten Commandments..but the arrangement was taken further. And you see it in what I have explained above.
This is also why the Olde Testament is our School Master..that we would know these things.

Thanks for your time and your posts.

In His Holy Name...The Lord Jesus the Christ for Remission of Sins,
Orangetom

posted on Apr, 26 2006 @ 10:29 AM
link   
This is the single most important thread in BTS history.

orangetom, Thank you.

You speak (type) the truth; Bible confirms.

I was wrong. Thank you for showing me, my error.

James 5:19-21
19Brethren, if any of you do err from the truth, and one convert him;

20Let him know, that he which converteth the sinner from the error of his way shall save a soul from death, and shall hide a multitude of sins.

1 Peter 4:7-9
7But the end of all things is at hand: be ye therefore sober, and watch unto prayer.

8And above all things have fervent charity among yourselves: for charity shall cover the multitude of sins.

9Use hospitality one to another without grudging.

Whole heartly thank you. Praise be to our Lord Jesus the Christ.
GSM

posted on Apr, 26 2006 @ 12:45 PM
link   
I am humbled by your post. My heartfelt thanks for this humbling.

I should also tell you that I did not come to this conclusion alone. I was taught by Elders in the Word. I too had difficulty understanding. I know this because I still have kindred feelings for the flesh and the things of the flesh...the thinking of the flesh.
Being in the flesh when this Elder spoke to me of the Word and what it means , in a local steak house one evening, I had great difficulty with what he was revealing of the Lord Jesus Christ. I had no answers or replys but could only listen ..transfixed. Deep down inside I knew..I was convinced and convicted that everything he told and was teaching me was true. There was just that kindred spirit of the flesh which was still binding me to this world.
It was some 7 years later and miles and miles of time before I looked in the mirror and knew..... I knew what I was..what I was worth..I also knew without a doubt I was a convicted human...worthless. I had just been spending seven years and miles and miles trying to maneuver and wiggle myself out of this Truth. Problem was that over and over..I kept running out of wiggle room/excuses. I knew at that moment what it meant to be convicted..condemmed..worthless on my own merits....and Rightly so.

There was only one solution...get under the water.

I found a small Olde School Baptist Church which taught Soverign Grace...and was Baptised in His Holy Name in the James River here in Virginia.
The learning and teaching of the Word goes on. I can assure you It will be a lifetime occupation.
I have been Blessed to have good teachers who from time to time ..strangely enough in mans eyes, by mans standards...have been brought before me for My Lords purposes..to instruct me. This would seem to be a strange pattern by the way of men but I have also learned that if My Lord wants me to learn something of importance he will place those in my path who will for His purposes instruct me. And strangely enough ,by mens standards, I have learned not to question this. Because this cannot be of men..these things which have crossed my path. But then again...stepping outside of my own provincial tunnelvision...I have also learned that this is not my Path.

These things of the flesh..of the spirit of the flesh which used to draw me so powerfully back to the World..they are weakening in thier appeal. They no longer have the hold in which they once had. This is a good thing lest I had gotten into more trouble than I did...Praise His Holy Name. I was a much bigger Buzzard in those days than am I now.

I must make haste now to ready for work.
Thank you for your post and the humbling.

In His Holy Name..Praise and Glory, Jesus the Christ for Remission of Sins,

Orangetom

top topics

join