It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

work week around the world?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 23 2006 @ 01:44 PM
link   
Americans have a Monday through Friday work week, with Saturday and Sunday off, no business, save shopping/recreation, being done those days. But what about other countries? Do they have days off, when? Do other nations have a different work week?

posted on Apr, 23 2006 @ 01:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by desert
Americans have a Monday through Friday work week, with Saturday and Sunday off, no business, save shopping/recreation, being done those days.

That is not necessarily true. What about those places where you go shopping on Saturday and Sunday? Not to mention the resturants, movie theaters, etc.

Whenever my huband works third shift (11:00pm to 7:30am) his week begins on Sunday night and ends Friday morning. When we were in California, we worked nine hour days and had a 3 day weekend every other week. Some places work 10 hour days four days a week. Nine to five jobs Mon.-Fri are no longer the norm. They may be what most people in your field work, but that is not everyone. This country's work habits are more diverse than you may think.

posted on Apr, 23 2006 @ 02:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by desert
Americans have a Monday through Friday work week, with Saturday and Sunday off

You don't have a job where I work!

It's so busy there, that they are enforcing mandatory six-day work week.

And it has forced me to use up all of my vacation time already (24 days),

I hate working on the weekends!

I of course, will be looking for another job soon, hopefully for the better.

posted on Apr, 23 2006 @ 02:14 PM
link   
True to the above, unfortunately! According to early 1960's, by now we'ld all be working 35 hour work weeks and have so much time off for recreation we might get bored. Who nipped that idea in the bud?? Talk about supporting family values--ha! We're going backward to pre1950's working conditions. No progress there. Anyway, I was speaking of general idea of American week.

posted on Apr, 23 2006 @ 02:19 PM
link   
Or the general idea of an ideal work week!

Actually, ideal would be only four days of work.

There are also many factories working 12 hour shifts - btw.

Not everyone here works in an office, store, restaurant, etc. environment.

Just my 2 cents.

posted on Apr, 23 2006 @ 02:23 PM
link   

It's so busy there, that they are enforcing mandatory six-day work week.

This is another example of just how wrong one's conceptions of fellow ATS Members can be.

I had you down as someone who didn't work at all or worked for himself.

Purely because you always seem to be logged in !.

Shows how wrong you can be.

JM

posted on Apr, 23 2006 @ 02:39 PM
link   
The ideal work week was the norm after WW2. I do know people nowadays working 3 jobs, at various hours. There are reasons for this (feminism not being one of them! feminists said women had a right to work outside the home, not that they had to--who twisted this is another topic) But, I digress (which is ok here '')...I'm wanting to know, for example, do other countries work on Sats and Suns, or halftime on Sat, or what. What do they consider work days?

posted on Apr, 23 2006 @ 02:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jamesmickael

This is another example of just how wrong one's conceptions of fellow ATS Members can be.

I had you down as someone who didn't work at all or worked for himself.

Purely because you always seem to be logged in !.

Shows how wrong you can be.

JM

I work 3 PM to 11:30 PM evening shift. So I sleep weird hours, as well.

Thursday and Friday of last week, I had taken off, as well as tomorrow.

Also note that I had used 24 days of vacation.

But you're right I should get a life, I stay on here while I am at home.

Okay, sorry for inadvertantly hijacking this thread. I'll
now. Thank You.

[edit on 4/23/2006 by Mechanic 32]

posted on Apr, 23 2006 @ 03:40 PM
link   
Mechanic 32, no hijacking done--you've really let people around the world know about current trends in work. Food for thought. Sorry to hear about loss of vacation days--now that ought to be criminal, really. People need rest, play as well as work. Can't help but recall Jews in Germany being dispensible labor. I think that if there ever was a conspiracy, it's to keep the great American workforce ignorant of how much vacation (holiday) time other industrialized nations give their workforce. Are we killing our workforce with deteriorating working hours/days/conditions--sending people to compensate with stress, overeating, etc? Then not offering health care or pensions for old age? Hey, I think I just hijacked my own thread

top topics

join