It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Latino Activists Record US anthem in Spanish?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 24 2006 @ 10:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by shots
Why?

I just find it in very bad taste that's why. In my mind you do not go around and more or less mock the national song of any country, let alone start calling it "Our Anthem," knowing that it is the anthem of the United States. Hell some are not even citizens so how can it be their anthem?

Ah you gotta love the spirit of the average American, so much for the image it likes to give to the world of it being a welcoming country, now you have to be "American" to sing your anthem?

Let me ask you this? Would you go into the UK and mock God Save the Queen or disrespect it in any way? My guess if you did the Brits would string you up in an instant because they do not like it when you make fun of the queen in any way.

Please i live in the UK and would ask you to not make up lies about "the Brits". Many songs have come out cursing the queen, like the Sex Pistols "god save the queen", i dont remember seeing those artists "strung up".
Also I am willing to bet you are going to see a few of them carrying a Meixcan flag while singing it which will make it even worse yet.

Stay tuned; next weeks headlines will Read Mexican Invades the US

Well the Mexicans do a damm site more work then you Americans in your own country so you should be happy for yourself, then again you seem like a *Mod Edit* racist who would love nothing better then to see the Mexicans being beaten/deported in their thousands.

[edit on 24-4-2006 by Amuk]

posted on Apr, 24 2006 @ 10:41 AM
link   

I just find it in very bad taste that's why. In my mind you do not go around and more or less mock the national song of any country, let alone start calling it "Our Anthem,"

Its not mocking it. I think you are also taking the 'our anthem' bit in the wrong way, they aren't saying 'the american anthem isn't for us, we;'re making a new one, this is for our new nation' etc etc. They are adopting the national athem, in their own way.

My guess if you did the Brits would string you up in an instant because they do not like it when you make fun of the queen in any way.

Bah, the insitution is silly enough as is anyway, who even needs to work to mock it?

Stay tuned; next weeks headlines will Read Mexican Invades the US

See, thats the thing, its not about replacing america with a new mexican nation, its about adopting and accepting, and doing a little re-interpreting, of american stuff. Its part and parcel of assimilation, really.

I bet that an american remix done to a reggaeton beat would sound great! Maybe get some porto rican and cubano chicks to jump around to it! Whooo Haaaa!

zero tolerance
It's now called "The Illegal Immigrant Hat Dance"

See, here we can see what mocking and demoralizing and making a song out of dislike is all about.

[edit on 24-4-2006 by Nygdan]

posted on Apr, 24 2006 @ 10:51 AM
link   
Nygdan, you are wasting your breath (or your fingers) trying to present logical information. This is IMHO much to do about nothing.

posted on Apr, 24 2006 @ 10:56 AM
link   
Why make such a big deal? They can do whatever they want- Its not as if this new rendition will represent the USA in any way.
I dont think they'll be playing it at the start of the games.

Actually, i do think Carlos would do a great job with it.

posted on Apr, 24 2006 @ 10:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by Amuk
But I honestly dont see the problem with this, but I am old enough to remember Jimi Hendrix's rendition of the Star Spangled banner..........LOL

If it's anything like that, I will be among the first to buy a cd. I don't remember it personally, but I listen to it at least once a day on my mp3 player!

posted on Apr, 24 2006 @ 11:03 AM
link   
"I bet that an american remix done to a reggaeton beat would sound great! Maybe get some porto rican and cubano chicks to jump around to it! Whooo Haaaa!

Just give me some latin beat and watch out
I could restore sight to the blind!

posted on Apr, 24 2006 @ 11:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
But how are they 'more or less' mocking it exactly?

I will say that I DO have a problem with the intention of this recording, in that they're doing it "to show our solidarity with the undocumented migrants", meaning illegal immigrants. But these artists have every right to do this recording. Don't you agree?

They are mocking it by calling it their anthem when it is not.

I also agree with you on their intent. All they want to do is raise money for lobbyist hoping they can get the bill passed in the form they want it rather then as it should be. By that I mean they want amnesty for illegals already here and that I feel is wrong.

Yes they can record it all they want as long as they maintain the lyrics as they were written originally.

posted on Apr, 24 2006 @ 11:17 AM
link   
Viva nuestro anthem! Reggaeton en la estados Unidos!

Now people can actually enjoy the anthem!

With these girls dancing to it, I feel more patriotic already!

Immigration Rocks! See she "Loves NY"

Someone PLEASE tell me why we're trying to have less of this in the country????

posted on Apr, 24 2006 @ 11:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nygdan
Its not mocking it. I think you are also taking the 'our anthem' bit in the wrong way, they aren't saying 'the american anthem isn't for us, we;'re making a new one, this is for our new nation' etc etc. They are adopting the national athem, in their own way.

How can it be their anthem when they are not here legally?

See, thats the thing, its not about replacing america with a new mexican nation, its about adopting and accepting, and doing a little re-interpreting, of american stuff. Its part and parcel of assimilation, really.

Sorry but I think you are just fooling yourself, many of this activists have stated over and over they want their country back when in fact they signed a treaty ceding the lands to the US after the war.

posted on Apr, 24 2006 @ 11:35 AM
link   

Viva nuestro anthem! Reggaeton en la estados Unidos!

With these girls dancing to it, I feel more patriotic already!

Someone PLEASE tell me why we're trying to have less of this in the country????

God Bless America

posted on Apr, 24 2006 @ 11:40 AM
link   
There is nothing wrong with a latin beat. The traditional beat is boring IMO and the younger generation probably could care less about it. You are acting as if they are trying to force the nation to change the traditional beat to become latin. They are just doing it to support their fellow Latin-americans.

There have been parodies and rip-offs of this song and its beat for use as slander in many places. These guys arent even changing the message. They just releasing it with a melody that relates to latino. Being American means being allowed to be whoever you are and express whatever you came from. It does not mean assimilate into the collective and change your past culture to suit the wants of the current one.

posted on Apr, 24 2006 @ 11:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nerdling
It's freedom of speech.

You either support it or you don't.

Don't be deliberately obtuse, Nerdling. One can support freedom of speech without supporting the message. You know it, so why not contribute something of value, rather than pointlessly exercising your freedom of speech.

For the record, I too find it disrespectful to co-opt the U.S. National Anthem (as it would be equally disrespectful for us to start calling the French National Anthem “our hymn”).

It's all about pissing people off and making headlines. People don't care anymore who or what they crap on, as long as they make the papers.

posted on Apr, 24 2006 @ 12:03 PM
link   

How can it be their anthem when they are not here legally?

Who's not here legally? The people making the remix?? Why are only illegals going to be listening to it?

Sorry but I think you are just fooling yourself, many of this activists have stated over and over they want their country back when in fact they signed a treaty ceding the lands to the US after the war.

Agreed, but these Aztlanites aren't running the show, most immigrants, illegal or otherwise, aren't plotting to overthrow the government and start a new mexican empire, anymore than the irish and italians that immigrated here generations ago were part of some papist plot, for example.

People don't care anymore who or what they crap on, as long as they make the papers.

How is this crapping on anything?

They are remixing the american anthem to a reggaton beat and the like. Its like making tacos with american cheese. Or putting a little chili powder in your meatloaf.

It ain't insidious, its delicious!

posted on Apr, 24 2006 @ 12:09 PM
link   
LOL...

An American holds the honor of butchering our National Anthem. Remember? She made a total fool of herself in front of millions???

Guess who. (A little trivia)

Now THERE was something to get peeved about.

THAT was the day that WAS. Never mind the latins....

Oh, what the heck. Our own Roseanne Barr or whatever her name is these days. IMO, THAT was insulting.

[edit on 24-4-2006 by dgtempe]

posted on Apr, 24 2006 @ 01:13 PM
link   
Maybe a Latino version of the US Anthem would sound something like this...
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Apr, 24 2006 @ 02:13 PM
link   
Yeah why would they ever ask Roseanne Barr to sing the National Anthem in hte first place. I mean could she actually sing anyhow. I'm having trouble remembering when it was, wasnt it the at one of the World Series games in the 90's? But yeah she did butcher that one bad, if I had a rubber hose I probably would have beat her. Anyhow, I'm kinda torn. In cases like this I'm usually a whatever type of guy, but I do have a sense of tradition and our national anthem is one that doesnt need changing in my opinion. I understand times change, but there are some things meant to stay the same. What does that say about the younger generation(my age group) if they need to put some beat into the National Anthem just to enjoy it and appreciate it?

[edit on 4/24/2006 by ludaChris]

posted on Apr, 24 2006 @ 02:34 PM
link   
Who says that tradition is going to be changed just because someone
decided to add a latin beat to the words of the US anthem????

C'mon people its not like this song is being made to replace the original.
Its just another form of protest. Just another form of free speech.
And its just like other posters have said before.
Go to any baseball game or any other event where someone is chosen to
the US anthem. Its always a bit different, someone always adds their own
spice to it... sheesh so much crying over nothing.....

posted on Apr, 24 2006 @ 02:35 PM
link   

People don't care anymore who or what they crap on, as long as they make the papers.

How is this crapping on anything?

They are remixing the american anthem to a reggaton beat and the like. Its like making tacos with american cheese. Or putting a little chili powder in your meatloaf.

It ain't insidious, its delicious!

I'd agree if it weren't specifically stated in the article that the release of this is timed to coincide with the Senate's restarting debate on the "illegal issue." Further, it is explicitly stated in the source that the artists are doing this in a show of support for "migrants."

Therefore, the motivation is clearly not to just make a snappy reggaeton jam. Therefore, the clear connotation of "our anthem" is not "we like it and made it snappy with a new beat," but instead follows along the lines of, "this is our anthem now." Which, is ominously close to the Aztlanesque idea of, "this is our land, Whitey, and we're gonna take it back."

The thing is, Nygdan, we can argue the semantics forever, but I took one of my degrees in English (with a particular focus in rhetoric). One of my favorite areas of study dealt primarily with critical, semantic analyses of the written word (especially "news" articles). I’m not necessarily an expert, but I’m nobody’s fool on this stuff either. If you've got a source that shows a different version of events, I'll be happy to look at it, but as it stands now, there is only one reasonable connotation, given what's written in the article.

That said, the only way your two food-related comparisons would be truly analogous to the situation (given the connotation of “our anthem”) would be to take them a step further and give them new names, such as “Honky-Only Pie” or “Mexloaf.” You’d have to ascribe to them some name that suggests that not only has the item been co-opted, but that it, in essence, belongs to a particular group, with an emphasis on exclusion of others. That is certainly what a national anthem does on an international level, which is why when a group tries to co-opt the U.S. anthem for a purpose that tends to exclude the laws of the United States, some find it offensive. Not illegal, of course. Just offensive.

And, I'll say that dgtempe's point about Rosanne dovetails nicely with what I wrote about getting one's name in the paper. I think her display was deliberately designed to offend, and it did. I think this restructuring of the anthem, coupled with the label “our anthem” is a deliberate attention-grabber at best, and a thinly-veiled insult at worst.

Insidious? Probably not, but certainly not “cool” either.

[edit on 24-4-2006 by Hamburglar]

[edit on 24-4-2006 by Hamburglar]

posted on Apr, 24 2006 @ 02:38 PM
link   
I feel a sense of tradition also. But- this isnt something that will be played in traditional ways and settings.
Unlike the Roseanne fiasco, i dont foresee any games started to a latin beat either.

So, what 's the harm? Party seeking people going to Club Salsa and dancing a national anthem, while a little strange now, would make lots of people feel American.

It's an honor that latins would come up with that.
They love this country.

To some, its disgusting and a problem because some people have a problem with anything or anybody latin.

The immigration problem doesnt even have anything to do with this,BTW.
that's a horse of a different color.

Its a shame people can be so narrowminded.

I will add: Supposing it will be recorded because of the imigration problem;
SO? Unless the words are disrespectful and/or totally changed, (which i would be livid about) what the heck is the problem???

Some of you should stop the hate. I am NOT for illegal imigrants in this country, and yes something should be done.
But what's a song but not a good memory of something you like? Unless its country and Western, of course.

Also- All civilized countries of the world, encourage the teaching of another language. In THIS continent the prominent languages are both English and Spanish.
I think it makes sense to teach Spanish.

[edit on 24-4-2006 by dgtempe]

posted on Apr, 24 2006 @ 03:02 PM
link   

Who's not here legally?

Those that are not here legally of course
You know the ones whose cause the artists are supporting.

Agreed, but these Aztlanites aren't running the show, most immigrants, illegal or otherwise, aren't plotting to overthrow the government and start a new mexican empire, anymore than the irish and italians that immigrated here generations ago were part of some papist plot, for example.

Obviously you have not seen the radio and TV ads from LA and San Diego. If you had you would know where I am coming from and you would be singing a new tune. Several groups (all activists) have made it very clear they think the US belongs to them or at least certain portions. Many also claim the treaty they signed was illegal therefore it is their claim it is Americans who are the illegals :shk:

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join