It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Castaway Found Floating on Raft in North Sea

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 23 2006 @ 07:51 AM
link   
Little is known about this mysterious man found floating on oil barrels lashed with wooden planks in the sea between Denmark and Norway. He claims his name is George Williams, he was thrown overboard from a ship, is a "stateless" American, and wants to go to New York. After being taken to a hospital for treatment of dehydration and a frostbitten foot, he is being held by Swedish authorities as they try to sort out his story.

www.comcast.net
STOCKHOLM, Sweden - Swedish authorities Saturday were investigating how a man calling himself a "stateless American" ended up floating on a raft of oil barrels and wood planks in the waters between Denmark and Norway.

The man, who carried no identification, spoke perfect English and said his name was George Williams, was found by a Norwegian oil tanker on Friday morning, floating in the Skagerak sea on a raft of four oil barrels held together by a frame of wooden planks.

He told police he had been thrown from a ship several days earlier and now wanted to go to New York, but offered little further information.

He asked to be taken in by Swedish authorities, and shielded his face from photographers when he was taken to a port in southern Sweden.

"If he was thrown off a ship, they must have thrown off the raft for him to sit on as well, so I don't know," Swedish marine police spokesman Bengt Albinsson said. "We are trying to figure out the circumstances, but we will have to see how much he wants to tell us."

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Interesting story, but it doesn't add up. Perhaps he is a fugitive and is trying to avoid indentification and prosecution. Or maybe he is trying to escape the pursuit of nefarious elements he has run afoul of. One thing is for sure, he doesn't want to stick around Northern Europe.

I'm looking forward to more details on what's up with Mr. Williams, or whatever his name is, as this story unfolds

posted on Apr, 23 2006 @ 08:27 AM
link   
OOohhh interesting. I cant wait to see how this one unfolds.

That is just odd.

posted on Apr, 23 2006 @ 08:39 AM
link   
Interesting, it "kind of" reminds me of the Piano man incident.

posted on Apr, 23 2006 @ 09:10 AM
link   
Thrown overboard, but was given a raft? Haha. Lucky guy.
Yeah, sounds like he's avoiding identification. Just have to wait and see what happens, I suppose.

posted on Apr, 23 2006 @ 09:15 AM
link   
Another Piano Man.

Very interesting.

I hope they followup on this one.

posted on Apr, 23 2006 @ 02:18 PM
link   
Lock him up until he tells the truth or just put him and his raft back where they found it.

posted on Apr, 23 2006 @ 02:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Astronomer70
Lock him up until he tells the truth or just put him and his raft back where they found it.

I admit his story is suspicious.... but this is jumping the gun, isn't it? I mean, he hasn't done anything wrong, right?

After he talks to the embassy, maybe things will be different... but as yet all he's done is kept relatively silent pending communication with the U.S. embassy... suspicious, but hardly criminal...

posted on Apr, 23 2006 @ 02:30 PM
link   
I may be speculating here, but no one throws someone overboard with a raft.

I'd like to see him explain that one.

posted on Apr, 23 2006 @ 02:34 PM
link   
Everybody hates the USA...

but some guy floating on a raft with frost bite and from heaven knows where wants to go there though...

Tea

posted on Apr, 23 2006 @ 03:07 PM
link   
Hey, maybe it's the cruise ship dude. He made his raft in Greece, then sailed north.

posted on Apr, 23 2006 @ 03:47 PM
link   
Could he be another French oil-rig Captain???

top topics

join