It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The War on Terror - making the world a safer place?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 23 2006 @ 03:36 AM
link   
This is one of the frequent justifications for the bogus War on Terror, that it makes the world a safer place. Well, it seems that it's breaking news that this justification is looking a little shopworn:

Terror attacks and kidnappings worldwide exceeded 10,000 for the first time last year, propelled in part by a surge in Iraq, according to government figures to be released soon.

... the numbers are a striking reminder that violence around the globe has dramatically increased in the more than four years of the war on terror.
Terrorist violence in Iraq is up in every category in 2005, including armed attacks and kidnappings. The official said Iraq will represent more than 50 percent of the total increase in terrorist incidents. The year before, the center said there were 866 terror attacks against civilians and other noncombatants there.

And did they count the terror their own soldiers are spreading among the citizens of Iraq, or the activities of US-backed death squads there? I doubt it.

We then get a lot of stuff about how methods of counting have changed, they have more people devoted to the job, before, they only used to count attacks causing over $10,000 worth of damages or serious injuries and so on, therefore comparing this year's statistic to last years is like comparing 'apples to oranges'. Fair enough, I thought. But then:

The counterterrorism center's Web site and various government officials have stressed that counting attacks is more art than science. For instance, on the morning of Aug. 17, 2005, there were 350 small bomb attacks in Bangladesh. The counterterrorism center considers that one attack.

Anyone REALLY think that the War on Terror makes the world safer for us all? Especially (as has been pointed out in another thread) Iran claims to have 10.000 suicide bombers who will retaliate against the US and UK if we invade?

posted on Apr, 23 2006 @ 05:16 AM
link   
great post. How can the war on terror make the world a safer place when Dick Cheney said himself that we're heading for a major era of warfare.

[edit on 23-4-2006 by Crazy_Mr_Crowley]

posted on Apr, 23 2006 @ 05:22 AM
link   
Just a thought from your forum name - are you an Ozzy fan by any chance?

posted on Apr, 23 2006 @ 06:48 AM
link   
Firstly, the War On Terror is never about making the world a safer place. It's about waging war on the terrorists and those who endanger the liberty of the democratic people worldwide. Or that's what Bush wants us to believe.

In my opinion, it's never about any of the above. It all boils down to the control over the world's geo-politics and global economy. It's about profiteering from all these conflicts that is happening worldwide and the war profiteers are happy as long as there's a conflict in any part of the world.

Don't tell me you feel a lot more safer than it was before. The reason is because whatever Bush did, he had stirred up a hornest's nest and conflict is brewing in almost every continent of the world. More and more terror attacks occurred and people are getting more and more devided especially in the Middle East, EU and the U.S itself.

If you ask me I think the War On Terror is absolutely unnecassary. You no longer live in the world where the notion "it's either kill or be kill" is valid. We're not barbarians, not anymore.

[edit on 23/4/06 by Heartagram]

new topics

top topics

join