It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

<My Near Death Experience and Ascent to Heaven>

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 29 2006 @ 12:57 PM
link   
I appreciate that many NDE experiences relate a meeting with a religious figure such as Christ. And I also appreciate when NDE'ers are fundamentally altered by the exprience and seek prayer as their meditation to get closer to God. However, personally, I believe slavish devotion to dogmatic religions is a waste of effort. I don't believe God cares whether or not people believe in the myths and rules of any archaic or modern religion.

As far as prayer goes, I believe the true masters make their lives a prayer. Each moment is a meditation including thanks for every single breath, articulated in a very personal way as a gift to the universe - no strings attached. What is called living the life, or walking the talk. It requires true devotion and perhaps an intensity of focus on and in the NOW that would relieve us of the desire for or need of television or other distractions which make us a captive audience rather than involved contributors/participants.

It is the promise that life can, every moment, have the intensity of transcendancy. I'm not there but the notion keeps me in check and hopeful and striving.

posted on Apr, 29 2006 @ 01:13 PM
link   
Seattlelaw, you have crossed many hurdles. Other people will or will not do as you have. Get rid of the desires first, to make way for the next step. "Chop wood, carry water" or "praying unceasingly," that is being Awake to Life. Be awake as much as you can, so as not to miss an opportunity. They are there, so stop looking.

posted on Apr, 29 2006 @ 01:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by seattlelaw
However, personally, I believe slavish devotion to dogmatic religions is a waste of effort. I don't believe God cares whether or not people believe in the myths and rules of any archaic or modern religion.

Thank you for your contribution to this thread seattlelaw.

Certainly you have the right to believe what you wish…all I can tell you is that I was invited to spend eternity in the light of God, in the kingdom of the lord, by putting my faith in Jesus Christ.

What more can I say, I got to heaven by accepting Jesus Christ as my savior. I suppose you can try other ways but I know how I got there.

I hope you find what you seek…

Blessings…

posted on Apr, 29 2006 @ 01:34 PM
link   
Thanks desert. When I let go of the fear amazing things do happen. The gifts are all around me. When I relax and let go the box opens. I am still deprogramming myself from a childhood of dogma. I try to find laughter in the moments when I get caught up in the old ego and anger. They occur less frequently. Tomorrow I am 45. I feel blessed and fortunate. Now I have two young daughters I hope can get there sooner than I have, and without the baggage. It's a wonderful challenge.

Kinglizard, thank you for making this possible by sharing your NDE. By personally disowning religion as a path to enlightenment or salvation I do not intend to criticize those who follow Christ. I feel a strong personal connection to Christ. I had a personal experience when I was a six, being raise Irish Catholic in Chicago, where I stood in the alley, behind the church in the sun, and asked Christ if He was there. He answered me. I was exhilarated and a little frightened. But I got my answer.

I do not believe the dogma is what Christ was about. The messages of Christ are truth. It's the manipulation of the message that bothers me - the dogma, the fear, the warnings of hell, etc., the division of the people into the chosen and the hell-bound. There is no love in those messages. And IMO Christ is Love.

[edit on 29-4-2006 by seattlelaw]

posted on Apr, 29 2006 @ 02:28 PM
link   
I don’t follow man I follow Christ. I believe the Bible accurately records the life and teachings of Jesus so this is what I follow and study. I belong to a bible based church that teaches from the word. I would be wary of any organization that claims to follow Christ and teaches outside the Bible.

Seattlelaw, it sounds like you had a life changing experience. Do you consider yourself a Christian (Follower of Christ)?

posted on Apr, 29 2006 @ 02:34 PM
link   
Seattlelaw, Happy Birthday! Continue to laugh at cosmic jokes. Yes, I believe today's children will be lightyears ahead of us spiritually.
Kinglizard has been blessed and blesses us with his NDE.
Plus, Kinglizard, the new avatar is really cool!

posted on Apr, 29 2006 @ 02:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by desert
Yes, I believe today's children will be lightyears ahead of us spiritually.

Just a question: Why?

And, happy birthday Seattlelaw

posted on Apr, 29 2006 @ 02:51 PM
link   
Thanks to you all for the birthday wishes.

Am I a follower of Christ, a Christian? I would say that I endeavor to live an open and honest life in which I try to respect all life without prejudice but am available to assist another when that is requested or desired. I also believe that labels don't apply to me as regards my affection for Christ. Thus, I am no longer a Catholic. I would say simply that my values hold Christ's teachings in high esteem and I do work to incorporate them into my daily life. I also believe that there is myth that surrounds Christ and that many accept myth as fact. I find no harm in this, necessarily, but personally I take the point of the teachings and leave the stories themselves behind.

Alright, I'm off to the airport to pick up my dad. Everyone have a great weekend. I'll check in on you all sometime soon.

posted on Apr, 29 2006 @ 03:00 PM
link   
To Volatile, thanks for asking. We pass on more than genetic material to each generation. From personal observations (or look up/read Teilhard de Chardint) I see young people searching spritually but searching higher. (for example, reading/discussing books by Jim Marion). I beleve the universal rise in religious fundamentalism is a reaction to this spiritual growth. Humanity's growing pains.

posted on Apr, 29 2006 @ 04:14 PM
link   
I myself is 15, and have great respect for the elders (those who believe in a religion, practice sprituality, are teachers in martial arts, yoga or meditation) and for some reason I have to disagree.

I don't believe that spirituality is something that can be geneticly passed on. Spirituality is something pure and unique to each person, but still the same. In the end, we all come out equally.

So any reports that say someone is higher in spirituality than another, just because of generation in physical plane, can go put on a donkey suit and eat grass.

posted on Apr, 29 2006 @ 06:36 PM
link   
Volatile, I did not say spirituality was genetically passed on. Elders pass it along. And, I might add, my list of spiritual resources was painfully limited. Yes, people are all different, but in general young people nowadays are different spiritually than prior generations, because these elders are speaking to and teaching them.

posted on Apr, 29 2006 @ 07:43 PM
link   
Right, how did you discover your 'limit'?

posted on Apr, 29 2006 @ 07:53 PM
link   
Volatile, I saw your list of resouces and wanted to point out that I had not included them in my brief writing; there are many resources.

posted on Apr, 29 2006 @ 08:09 PM
link   
well being 13 and full of angst I dont have overly much respect for my elders... but then again its not them I dont have respect for but more the fact that they have authority over me. I have always hated authority and have been labeled as a troublemaker because of it so now the spotlight is on me by default...

posted on Apr, 29 2006 @ 08:32 PM
link   
TristanBW9456, you're learning how to negotiate authority. You'll be an elder someday, can you visualize that? Angst at 13 is common. Life is scary, even for adults, just different things to be scared about. Take care of youself. You are on the right path if you are seeking beyond you.

posted on Apr, 29 2006 @ 08:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by TristanBW9456
well being 13 and full of angst I dont have overly much respect for my elders... but then again its not them I dont have respect for but more the fact that they have authority over me. I have always hated authority and have been labeled as a troublemaker because of it so now the spotlight is on me by default...

You know its a commandmant from god that you have to honour thy father and mother.....Just give it a try. My parents....are not the best but I stillhave to honor them.

posted on Apr, 29 2006 @ 09:43 PM
link   
Poison, good advice. Following the command to honor parents helps you keep your cool when you have disagreements. And when you're not arguing, it can help score some points with them.

posted on Apr, 29 2006 @ 10:16 PM
link   
As I said I respect them as people but thats the problem. I respect people when they place themselves in a position where they are peers (albiet much more knowledgable) offering help or constructive criticizm rather than forcing their views upon me without fully understanding my oppinion.

I am fine with them helping on things and showing me where I went wrong but sometimes they will cut me off in mid-setence and take things completely out of context and punish me for trying to explain my point of view. At the least if they have authority then they must have the abbility to look at things from other peoples point of view and the abbility to know when they are wrong.

[edit on 4/29/06 by TristanBW9456]

posted on Apr, 30 2006 @ 01:13 AM
link   
I stumbed onto this very interesting thread and would like to thank Kinglizard for sharing such a wonderful experience with us all.

I would also like thank everyone for experessing their views on faith. I personally thank wheter you believe in the dogma of the church or you believe souly in the teachings of christ, that we all need to respect each other and see God as love and to me that is the most important thing. To me if you believe in Christ or other religious figures(meaning of God) that if you love God and try to show love that all the rest will fall into place and you will be allowed back home in heaven. What ever your faith you should follow it whole heartly

Desert I also notice that you have become a sort of counselor to the youth in here the best of luck to that.

V., I did not know that you were 14, you seem to be wiser than your years, I thank you are off on the right track to life, I wish I could of been more like you at that age.

Blessings to all
Cortara

posted on Apr, 30 2006 @ 01:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by TristanBW9456
As I said I respect them as people but thats the problem. I respect people when they place themselves in a position where they are peers (albiet much more knowledgable) offering help or constructive criticizm rather than forcing their views upon me without fully understanding my oppinion.

Tristan, I think it is fantastic that you are online, reading this stuff and able to participate in the discussion. I wonder whether I would have had the insight or self awareness when I was thirteen, way back in 1974. We had no internet, no videotape or dvd or mp3. Even 8 track was still to come. We had 3 network TV channels and a couple VHF channels (don't ask). I had a transistor radio that only picked up radio stations (no cd's or tapes) and I loved it. I had no idea what was coming. I wonder what you will be amazed by when you reach 45? I hope I'm there to be amazed along with you.

I have 10 and 7 year old daughters and I can understand your angst. They are both bright kids, and the 10 year old in particular challenges me almost every day. It is a challenge because we parents don't always do the exactly right thing. We were kids too once and, believe me, it wasn't that long ago. We make mistakes. Also, there are times when parents have to direct traffic without dissent. Sadly, at times, we're like cops. We simply don't always have the time or energy to explain why we need you to do what we need you to do.

My advice is to choose your battles carefully. In other words, when you decide your parents don't understand you, you need to make certain the fight is worth the effort. You may feel justified challenging them several times each day but trust me, it's not a good idea. We have limited energy - limited resources. When we get tired, especially after a hard day, we get short and that turns into a battle which you, as a teen, cannot win. Amazingly, sugar works with parents too. Give them a little love and understanding and you can move mountains. Challenge them and they will react as though you are the enemy (if subconsciously).

You should expect conflict and sometimes pain. It's part of becoming an adult. Your parents won't tell you because they are protecting you from fear and pain. It's against their nature. Along with the fear and pain comes understanding and lots and lots of excitement and fun. Try not to swagger too much around your parents as you come into the knowledge. But at the same time, enjoy it and live it large. God has given you all the tools to experience life so do so and enjoy it. It is meant to be. Parents have a hard time letting go of the control. It's an incremental thing. You're not ready for independence and they know that. Enjoy the ride and remember, if they are like my parents, few people will ever love you as much as your mother and father.

So honor that. Respect that. Love that. Cherish that. Some people never have the chance. And don't get too heavy dude. Thirteen is time for still being a kid and loving that too! Take care pal and remember one thing ... it's all good.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join