It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is the body a temple for the soul, or prison for the spirit?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 14 2006 @ 04:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by knowledge23
Each soul [subconscious] is bound within this material body in a definite time frame. During this time Good and Bad deeds are committed.
Is this somehow recorded or does it affect the subconcious?
Either way does the good and bad affect re birth?

K23

Well, for one... I'd like to see our structure as the following:
Body. = Physical

Mind. = Conscious and Subconscious.
Soul. = Astral and Etheric.

I think, when one commits a deed both good and evil, it affects the soul. It makes a 'cut' in the fabric of it so that it was will be remembered. This is why sometimes when some guy has shot another guy, the first guy will become psychologically disorientated. Same goes for the loving old lady that walks around the park and talks and bless' everything, as people will begin to see a huge aura on her... More likely be attracted to her company.

As goes for rebirth, according to Buddhism, this would probably be one of the building-stones for 'karma' though i'd have to be true

posted on May, 14 2006 @ 05:20 AM
link   
Volatle, spot on my friend. However there is a point which i personally believe should be included.

As, I understand, menguard mentioned that the soul is an awarness within boundries.

If we go as per the generous equation which you have put forth, which i agree to, then, Mind=Conscious and not the soul. I believe the soul has a small fraction of concious and subconcious. This is the point where my thoughts differ from yours a bit.

Would you agree to the statement of volatle menguard? or do you differ? Would appreciate if you could elaborate if you do.

Menguard not taking a hit at you but since the discussion is interesting it would be great to have another mind in the discussion.

Thankyou,

Rgds

K23

posted on May, 14 2006 @ 05:51 AM
link   
I believe the soul acts on impulse and instinct and moral, and maybe also a subconscious to interact with the astral or etheric world. But our definition of consciousness is when something has a mind. We should look past that, and say; "What if the soul has a consciousness, but not a mind?".

posted on May, 14 2006 @ 06:44 AM
link   
On the initial topic, I suggest that interested parties on what European thought has contemplated in the last 2,000 years look at the beliefs of the Manichees (Iranian in origin), and later the Cathars and Bogomils (hybrid groups). These held that materials (and therefore the world in general) are intrinsically sullied, and that our task is to avoid materials, in which our souls are imprisoned, and that our destiny is release from this state of affairs into one of "pure" spirit. It is a dualistic belief, and Cathar and Bogomil doctrine was a sort of grafting of Christian scripture and doctrine on top of Manichaeism. The etsblished churches in East and West considered the position for several centuries, and moved towards a position of rejection of the idea.

You won't find much online that's very accurate about the Cathars. A good book, for anyone interested in these issues, is below. This draws out the beliefs by way of extensive quotation of contemporary accounts of the face-offs between ecclesial and Cathar authorities in Western Europe in the middle ages:

R. I. Moore, The Birth of Popular Heresy (University of Toronto Press, 1995)

I don't know of a similar survey of Eastern Bogomil beliefs.

Cheers.

posted on May, 14 2006 @ 07:09 AM
link   
If you feel imprisoned then perhaps you need to meditate...chant, do some yoga.

Your obviously lacking the spiritual knowledge to free yourself.
Meditation is very powerful. Try it if you havent.

Buddists are fantastic to get you started but I am not ga ga over 'if you want it, just put it out there...yanno all the stuff that supports your material needs'.

But, its a good start aside from the self preservation concept.

posted on May, 14 2006 @ 07:47 AM
link   
d60944,
The Gnostic groups you mention saw the material body, indeed the material world, as a prison that entraps the sparks of the Divine within.
The material world as a creation of Darkness created by an evil 'god' (Satan, the demirge) that is in direct opposition to the God of Light and spirit.
The god of the Old Testament was believed to be this evil god of materiality and the god spoken off by Jesus as 'His Father' in the New Testament, the God of Light and spirit.
Their belief of Dualism directly challenged the church doctine of Monotheism, hence in due course many such groups were exterminated.
It is now commonly believed by Christians and others that God spoken of in the Old Testement is one and the same as the New Testement God.

posted on May, 14 2006 @ 01:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by NJE777
If you feel imprisoned then perhaps you need to meditate...chant, do some yoga.
Your obviously lacking the spiritual knowledge to free yourself.
Meditation is very powerful. Try it if you havent.
Buddists are fantastic to get you started but I am not ga ga over 'if you want it, just put it out there...yanno all the stuff that supports your material needs'.

Very true... But lacking spiritual knowledge? Its a matter of belief.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join