It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Teeth cleaned or childbirth?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 22 2006 @ 01:56 PM
link   
I went to the dentist yesterday for a 'cleaning'. I sat in that chair for an hour, with a woman (who wasn't beautiful either), scraping my teeth, under my gums, blood everywhere. And my teeth are very good (dentists words, not mine). Now I aint no wimp honest. I have had my fair share of fights, and got scars, broken nose to show for it. But as I was lying there, for 1hr now dont forget, I was thinking.

Is there anything more uncomfortable/painful that you willingly volunteer for? The only thing that comes to mind is childbirth, but I was with my wife for that and soon as she had the drugs it was a doddle! And seems as you only give birth on average 2.4 times in a lifetime compared to having your teeth cleaned every 6 months for say from age 18 to 55, thats 37 yrs x twice a year...thats 74 times x 1hr thats 74 hrs.

Average birth is roughly 12hrs, so you would have to have 6.16 children to get the same pain as having your teeth cleaned. I know what I would rather! What do the women think?

(I may regret posting this)

:bnghd:

posted on Apr, 22 2006 @ 01:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mcphisto
but I was with my wife for that and soon as she had the drugs it was a doddle!

Gosh I bet she wasnt thinking that

posted on Apr, 22 2006 @ 04:46 PM
link   
I'm a dude and I'd rather give birth than have my gums scaled.

posted on Apr, 24 2006 @ 03:03 PM
link   
I think only a guy, who can only abstractly consider the pain, could ever seriously consider the two as equal. I am not a mom yet but i will bet that the reason that no actual moms have replied with a post is because the comparison seems so ridiculous....

posted on Apr, 24 2006 @ 03:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lianna
I think only a guy, who can only abstractly consider the pain, could ever seriously consider the two as equal. I am not a mom yet but i will bet that the reason that no actual moms have replied with a post is because the comparison seems so ridiculous....

Hey, I've seen a birth and been to the dentist. Giving birth is a piece of cake! Any man could do childbirth and we wouldnt make so much fuss over it either! Bothering them busy doctors for gas and air! There's people suffering on them wards woman!

posted on Apr, 24 2006 @ 03:52 PM
link   
Root canal, but not any normal root canal, but on an infected tooth. The pressure from the infection was so huge the pain disabled me. No exaggeration at all, I could not function.

I had to quit a part time job because of it last year, no kidding. It was the day before Christmas Eve and I can honestly say I have never felt more pain in my life, and it was non-stop pulsating pain. The Dentist was not about to start the process then, so she loaded me up with painkillers to get me through the holiday.

Not trying to sound tough, but I can handle my pain. But this was entirely different; it just cut right through me. You know how you can kind of "grunt" through certain types of pain? Not this one folks.

I was like a crying little school girl who just had her dolly taken from her and I am not ashamed to admit it.

I can’t imagine pregnancy was worse than that, and I was right there in the heart of the action when my son was born, so I have an idea.

posted on Apr, 24 2006 @ 04:47 PM
link   
I actually like the dentist. He keeps my smile nice and white and can make the most unbearable pain go away. As long as there is a TV in the ceiling, I can deal with pretty much anything he throws at me. I'm not going to do the whole pregnancy thing, so the dentist is as bad as it gets for me.

It's not the childbirth that scares me so much, it's the 18 years directly following it.

posted on Apr, 24 2006 @ 04:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by DuzeyIt's not the childbirth that scares me so much, it's the 18 years directly following it.

Oh yeah? Imagine an 18 year root canal. You can't send a root canal to its room.

posted on Apr, 24 2006 @ 05:06 PM
link   
The thought of having a child grow up with me as an example is more frightening than any root canal I've ever had.

I can barely remember to feed my cat half the time. :shk:

posted on Apr, 24 2006 @ 05:15 PM
link   

Average birth is roughly 12hrs, so you would have to have 6.16 children to get the same pain as having your teeth cleaned. I know what I would rather! What do the women think?

pfffft

You can't even begin to compare the two.

Personally, I have one child. My labour lasted about 30 hours, and the only drugs I was given were administered after the birth and they didn't do anything, anyway.

I also go to the dentist every 6 months, and I'd go to the dentist every second day and bear that pain before I'd even consider giving birth again

Really, speaking from my personal experience with child birth and dental cleaning, you cannot even begin to compare them and like Lianna said, to do so is ridiculous.

posted on Apr, 24 2006 @ 05:18 PM
link   
After giving birth twice, I would have to say that I'd rather have my teeth cleaned. Once the initial pain of the injection is over, I'm fine. I won't have anything done to my teeth without anesthesia.

posted on Apr, 24 2006 @ 05:46 PM
link   
is this thread even real....

OK, getting your teeth done is a piece of cake... stick a needle in take tooth out, root canal... filling etc.... equal normal pain.

Now child birth on the other hand... now that is REAL pain! You could never understand it, unless you were a woman!

So shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

MEN THEY NEVER GET IT! TUT TUT!

Oni x x

posted on Apr, 24 2006 @ 07:00 PM
link   
Ah, but you dont a needle for cleaning. Just scraping under the gum line with a sharp scriber like tool from the dark ages. Having a pup you get that needle in the back which completely numbs you from the legs down, gas and air and a nurse to hold your hand! Its a wonder they dont give you a cup of tea through the intravenese (sp).

ITS A DOODLE I TELL YOU.

posted on Apr, 24 2006 @ 07:17 PM
link   

Having a pup you get that needle in the back which completely numbs you from the legs down, gas and air and a nurse to hold your hand! Its a wonder they dont give you a cup of tea through the intravenese (sp).

Not so fast

While many women may have epidurals, quite a large amount don't. And epidurals aside from the women I have talked to gas and/or shots of things like demerol barely even take the edge off.

And like I said, the only pain killers I had were administered after birth, so don't tell me what it's like to have a baby. I don't think other women would appreciate it, either.

:shk:

You may be joking, but until you're in that position, it might be best to not trivialize the whole thing.

[edit on 24-4-2006 by parrhesia]

posted on Apr, 24 2006 @ 07:44 PM
link   

Ah, but you dont a needle for cleaning. Just scraping under the gum line with a sharp scriber like tool from the dark ages. Having a pup you get that needle in the back which completely numbs you from the legs down, gas and air and a nurse to hold your hand! Its a wonder they dont give you a cup of tea through the intravenese (sp).

ITS A DOODLE I TELL YOU.

Ummmm, No. I got knocked out for the first and the doctor pulled the kid out. But I was wide awake for the second. I pushed all nine pounds of that kid out without any anesthesia. Trust me, I'd rather have dental work.

posted on Apr, 24 2006 @ 10:59 PM
link   
What you also have to consider is that pushing the baby out isn't the only part of child birth.

I had two children...and one of them was 11 pounds when he was born.
They told me that you don't need to call the hospital until contractions are 5 minutes apart. By that time the contractions are strong enough to make it hard to walk, if you can at all. Mind you, this is before you even get to the hospital, therefore...no drugs yet.

Then there's a possibility of complications, tearing, extreme blood loss, fainting (I am anemic so I had these complications) and all that fun stuff. Plus you bleed for a whole month after the child birth and a lot of women experience infections and blod clots after giving childbirth.

So with that said, I'd rather take the tooth cleaning where the discomfort lasts a day or two compared to the discomforts that come along with childbirth that last about a month.

[edit on 24-4-2006 by snowflake_obsidian]

posted on Apr, 25 2006 @ 12:48 PM
link   
Please spare me!!! I was only having a bit of banter! If you get this worked up over a thread on the PC, no wonder childbirth is such torture.

posted on Apr, 25 2006 @ 04:06 PM
link   
Skippytjc got it right about his tooth nerve pain--now that is on par with childbirth. And snowflake_obsidian was sure right about possible continuing pain from childbirth. Vote for teeth cleaning anyday. Maybe try a different person to clean teeth. Ever notice, for ex, the difference in pain between nurses/lab techs drawing blood, sticking with needles?

Oh, BTW, one theory I heard years ago says men make war because they don't bleed monthly and suffer the pain of childbirth.

top topics

join