It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Who's on ATS Right now - Seems to be a delay

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 22 2006 @ 12:30 AM
link   
There seems to be a delay, from the time a member logs off, and their name is removed from the 'Who's on...' list.

Is it just me, or does anyone else notice that too.

How does that reflect on the accuracy of the statistics that the board posts, i.e., most members on at same time, etc.

posted on Apr, 22 2006 @ 12:35 AM
link   
I would assume they are surfing the net, rolling up a matress, or using the can.
One or more of those.

posted on Apr, 22 2006 @ 12:39 AM
link   
No, I'm talking about a member logging off.

On the members posts, it says member was online xx minutes ago, but in the 'Who's on..' box, it still lists the member as being online, and logged in.

posted on Apr, 22 2006 @ 12:42 AM
link   
It's probably a difference between 'active' and 'logged off', perhaps?

posted on Apr, 22 2006 @ 12:56 AM
link   
I've noticed it. Seems most likely a Cron-job or script-type thereof. Server [database] refresh.

The bandwidth and server load to "keep it real-time" just wouldn't be feasible, IMO. Just as with the "Buddy List" the "benefit" does/would not outweigh the "cost", with regards to server/cpu calls and bandwidth.

Perhaps SO could weigh-in and put forth the "actuals", but I think the above pretty much sums it up.

$.02

[edit on 4/22/2006 by 12m8keall2c]

posted on Apr, 22 2006 @ 12:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by 12m8keall2c
The bandwidth and server load to "keep it real-time" just wouldn't be feasible, IMO. Just as with the "Buddy List" the "benefit" does/would not outweigh the "cost", with regards to server/cpu calls and bandwidth.

Perhaps SO could weigh-in and put forth the "actuals", but I think the above pretty much sums it up.

[edit on 4/22/2006 by 12m8keall2c]

Good enough for me. I thought it was just me.

Close this thread, as my question had been adequately answered for me.

Thanks.

Mechanic 32.

posted on Apr, 22 2006 @ 01:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mechanic 32
Close this thread, as my question had been adequately answered for me.

Thanks.

Mechanic 32.

No need to close it, perhaps others will happen across this while seeking an answer to the same or similar question.

new topics

top topics

join