It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Empirical support for prayer in medical settings

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 15 2003 @ 03:29 PM
link   
If someone is experiencing medical problems, it may be quite helpful to pray for them. I'm sure some people have heard about this line of controlled medical research, however I am bringing this up to educate those that haven't seen it:

393 patients in the San Francisco General Hospital�s Coronary Care Unit participated in a double blind study to assess the therapeutic effects of intercessory prayer. Patients were randomly selected by computer to either receive or not receive intercessory prayer. All participants in the study, including patients, doctors, and the conductor of the study himself remained blind throughout the study, To guard against biasing the study, the patients were not contacted again after it was decided which group would be prayed for, and which group would not.

It was assumed that although the patients in the control group would not be prayed for by the participants in the study, that others-family members, friends etc., would likely pray for the health of at least some of the members of the control group. There was no control over this factor. Meanwhile all of the members of the group that received prayer would be prayed for by not only those associated with the study, but by others as well.

The results of the study are not surprising to those of us who believe in the power of prayer. The patients who had received prayer as a part of the study were healthier than those who had not. The prayed for group had less need of having CPR (cardiopulmonary resuscitation) performed and less need for the use of mechanical ventilators. They had a diminished necessity for diuretics and antibiotics, less occurrences of pulmonary edema, and fewer deaths. Taking all factors into consideration, these results can only be attributed to the power of prayer.

www.plim.org...

posted on Oct, 15 2003 @ 06:57 PM
link   
Just when you think prayer isn't enough or that He isn't listening..something fantastic happens and maybe even years later you realized He DID answer your prayer(s)..There is no time factor involved when it comes to God and the things He does..this I've come to realize alot lately..and now I never forget to pray, at least once a day, for those I love and for those I've never even met or don't even know at all..

One thing I've noticed is that I never pray for myself..wonder why? Does anyone else feel this way or know why?

Nice thread MKULTRA

posted on Oct, 17 2003 @ 08:40 AM
link   
I'd like to see them repeat that with prayers of other faiths.

posted on Oct, 17 2003 @ 11:45 AM
link   
It would work just as well of course, Byrd... As it isn't some supernatural being assisting, but it's the positive human thought channelled and aimed at one purpose...that is doing the healing.
All you have to do is believe that it will help, and direct it to the recipient...similar to placebo effects....

posted on Oct, 17 2003 @ 11:49 AM
link   
That's the type of stuff I like to hear. I like to read about people who research in support of their faith, not follow it blindly. I think it's admirable that there was a study done into this, because it was sorely needed. The power of prayer. Wow. Undeniable proof.

I'd just like to say that I do consider myself christian, not norse pagan or anything like that. However, I do claim to be Loki. Therefore, I'm a contradiction of sorts. Rest assured that Christ is my savior, but Loki is my, oh how did Lancelot put it in the Holy Grail? Ah, yes, Loki is my personal Idiom. Yes, that's it. I worship god, but love Loki too. That's it. Peace.

posted on Oct, 17 2003 @ 12:16 PM
link   
prayer is like hypnotic suggestion in my eyes, healing throught the mind

posted on Oct, 17 2003 @ 02:04 PM
link   
I did a poll on this a while back. I don't thin people can deny that prayer works, however it does, anymore.

This type of research, among other things, I believe, suggests that the benefits of prayer are more than placebos and just positive thought, because they have researched the effects of a stranger praying for an un-knowing patient, and the results were still positive.

new topics

top topics

join