It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The future military

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 21 2006 @ 05:16 PM
link   
Times change. New weapons are invented. Old ones will be discarded or sold to a third-world country. What will the future military look like? How will future wars be fought? Do give you guys some ideas here's what I think: In the sea will be plasma stealth submarines that shoot satalight guided torpedos and nukes with multiple re-entry warheads. Aircraft carriers will have the ability to submerge(they carry the aircraft inside themselves) tanks will fly and have armor and weapons that are stronger but lighter then today's. The soldiers will be wearing fully armored armored suits, the helmet will have night vision and a laser sight, the soldier's weapons will be rifles that fire laser bursts. Aircraft will also have plasma stealth and satalight guided missiles. Space will be full of satalights. Some satalights will have lasers, others will be precise enough to pinpoint targets for most missiles, etc etc. Ok that was just an example. Tell me what you think earth's military will look like in the future. Tell me about new weapons that are being invented as we speak. Tell me what would be the best weapon to field in the future. Tell me how battles will be fought in the future. Criticize my example. Post pictures. Go ahead.

Peace out from Russian soldier

posted on Apr, 21 2006 @ 11:58 PM
link   
WOW, You left this thread pretty damn open.
All you said was Future.....Are we talking 5-10 years...25 years...1000 years!

Its virtually imposable to predict the future over 20-25 years...thats why in all those reports about the future tech, they always mention the year 2025...because you just cant imagine farther then that without going completely Sci-Fi.

I dont keep very up-to-date on the Russian tech...But if its anything like Americas then its easy to see where the military will be at in around 10 years...maybe 15, but farther then that it gets fuzzy, theres just to many variables.
The (US) Navy future Battleship is called DD(X), it will be very stealthy, its main gun will be a rail gun (magnetically fired shell), it will be able to divert its power to what ever needs it (IE:rail gun, propulsion, lasers) it likely wont have a laser on it when it starts its service life...but its being made to one can be added at a later date when the solid state laser technology matures.
Its future carriers are called CVN-21, they will be stealthy, and launch stealthy aircraft (not all planes will be stealthy though).
The Army has an utterly Massive program going on called the FCS (Future Combat System), it involves about every thing you can think of, I would name some items...but the list doesn't end...If you want to learn about it just google "Army FCS".
The Air force has the F-22A, which will be its top fighter for at least 20 years. The F-35 will start becoming operational in a few years.
They are retiring Many of their bombers, So I would expect a new Stealthy Supersonic (maybe hypersonic) bomber to go operational within 15 years.

ok...now on to your post (
)

Russian soldier
In the sea will be plasma stealth submarines that shoot satellite guided torpedoes and nukes with multiple re-entry warheads.

Nukes (ICBM) already have multiple re-entry warheads...

plasma stealth may work for torpedoes...but not the entire sub...you could keep enough gas on board to cover the whole thing, and even if you could it wouldn't be long until you run out of it and turn into a normal sub, and to use the supercavitating effect to your advantage you need to move quickly, so the entire sub would need to be rocket powered, Its just not conceivable. Even if you could have enough gas to last more then a minute, it would need big storage tanks, and room for the rockets & fuel, and then all the normal sub items...including the crew. Modern subs are cramped and VERY expensive as it is...If you make a Supercavitating Submarine, be prepared for it to have limited capabilities & a Massive price tag, likely around 10 billion (per sub).

Aircraft carriers will have the ability to submerge(they carry the aircraft inside themselves)

Japan had them 50 years ago...although I’m sure they dont look like the image you have in your head, they only had 3 biplane aircraft, and had to surface to deploy them.
I think sub aircraft carriers are feasible, but again...not in what you imagine. A normal sub has missile tubes, Lockheed Martin is working on a aircraft that sits inside of it (with its wings folded), they sub would be around 150 feet underwater, and release the aircraft, where they use rockets to get going, then once in flight they spread there wings out and the rockets stop and the turbine jet engine kicks in, flying the UAV to wherever, it will probably be equipped with cameras, have a good loiter time so it can find its intended target, and then release its bombs, then it fly’s back to the sub and lands (like a big kid doing a belly flop) into the ocean a couple miles away from the sub (so it doesn't tell the enemy where the sub is). Then the sub deploys a unmanned underwater vehicle to go and fetch the plane and tow it back to the sub.

tanks will fly and have armor and weapons that are stronger but lighter then today's.

thats pretty obvious, things are always getting lighter & stronger. But if a tank can fly...I think it kinda losses the "tank" namesake. Theres kind of a "flying tank" already, called the A-10.

The soldiers will be wearing fully armored suits, the helmet will have night vision and a laser sight, the soldier's weapons will be rifles that fire laser bursts.

fully armored suits should start showing up in around 10-15 years (its a part of the Army's FCS). Night vision built into the face shield will be farther off. Not sure what you mean by "laser sight", are you just referring to laser pointers on guns?
As for laser bursts...lol, maybe in a 100 years.

Aircraft will also have plasma stealth and satellite guided missiles.

Same problem as the sub, the gas inevitably runs outs, and then your back on radar.....then what?
Russian Rumors (for some time now) have talked up plasma stealth...but I just dont see it being all that great. The US got it right with RAM (radar absorbing Material), it needs to be a good shape, and is costly, but it makes it next to invisible from radar for as long as its in the sky, and not just a short burst on invisibility.
Satellite guided missiles???? How? I'm assuming your referring to an A2A (Air-to-Air) missile, which means its target is a aircraft thats moving very fast, a gps guided missile can't hit a moving target. It works great for buildings because the dont move, you just put in its coordinates and drop the bomb...and if the building was on wheels and it moved...the bomb would miss.

Space will be full of satellites.

Theres thousands of satellites in space now, although most are dead (out of fuel), but I think the number of operational sats in space in a little under 800.

Some satellites will have lasers, others will be precise enough to pinpoint targets for most missiles.

Are you talking about a space based laser?
That will happen...its inevitable, But one that will have enough juice, and be technologically possible to make, wont happen for at least 30 years...thats also including the time of political bickering about "arming space".

Whew...I'm done already.

posted on Apr, 22 2006 @ 10:12 PM
link   
Let don't go far about 1000 years in the future. In the near-future, somewhere fifty years later (I will still be alive, now only 14 years old). Stealth, antigravity plane will be common sight for countries like U.S, Russia and China? EU?. All submarines and aircraft carriers will be powered by fusion. Laser systems should be available, perhaps there will be space fighters?

After all, we cannot predict the future.. let just wait and see.

posted on Apr, 23 2006 @ 01:11 AM
link   
Yeah, when I said FUTURE I meant anytime in the future. My example was meant for 70-100 years from now

posted on Apr, 23 2006 @ 02:25 AM
link   
Human soldiers will become obsolete in about 20 years already we see battle ready machines starting to roll out. I highly doubt we will ever end up in a Terminator situation though. Even the next generation jet fighters will probably be unmanned as well. Why not you save human capitol and you have and endless army you can mass produce in factories.

the next logical step in about 25 years will be robots.

posted on Apr, 23 2006 @ 04:33 AM
link   
I doubt that humans will be completely phased out in 20 years.
Machines just can't respond to situations like us.
And you have to have a power source and some way of repairing the machines.(you can't just build factories out in the field) then you have to have someone to actually repair them.

The only place that's feasible is in urban environments where they have to have some way of determining who's military and who's not.

Unless you want every body getting pissed off at you because you killed civillians.

posted on Apr, 23 2006 @ 09:23 AM
link   
We will never be completely out of the loop however at our current progression of technology our world will look like I Robot by 2030. As for power sources Im sure they will figure something out they always do. Your argument is that machines could not respond like we do. Your right but that only in this time period AI is on a fast track to developement as we speak. As for building them I am sure all assembly will be done at home then they will be shipped to the battlefront via air and sea in unmanned vehicles.

posted on Apr, 23 2006 @ 10:04 AM
link   
Murcielago good response post!!!
One thing I expect to see in the future is the continued advancement of the heavy armored tracked tank. Armor and defense systems on tanks are evolving right along with anti tank weapons.

[edit on 23-4-2006 by Heckman]

posted on Apr, 23 2006 @ 12:11 PM
link   
I dunno. Hate to be the cataclysmist (is that even a word?!), but i think we going to see something of a regression in military technology and tactics.
Modern mechanised warfare relies aircraft and mobile infantry which in turn rely on vehicles that use the internal combustion engine. Unless an alternative power source is found (completely off topic i know, but its a far reaching issue) then its going to become increasingly difficult for even the richest nations to field advanced mechinzed armies. Take oil out of the equation and everything collapses. Its the linchpin of western society.
Without it every Challenger,every F22, every type 45 destroyer will grind to a halt.

Lets speculate that 50 to sixty years ahead we have not found a viable and economical alertantive to fossil fuels. You can kiss goodbye to vast columns of diesel-downing tanks and kerosense kraving jets. Goodbye to the concept of invading and occupying nations in general.
Instead well be seeing localised conflicts, fought with whatever is locally produceable. Robotic UAVs and the like will not be an option becuase the coponents will not be able to be shipped to the assembly point/ or all fabricated in one place.

I would speculate (stressing that word) that well be seeing a return to a more turn of the century/ world war one era style of military, in that it will be infantry based combat, and more close quarters. We will still see automatic weapons and sophisticated communications systems. GPS and infra red sensory equipment will also be available to some extent, but they will be prohibitably expensive. Combat will be localised, breif and bloody. With technology becomming less of a dedciding factor, we will see emhpasis being placed on training and infantry level combat skill. Each nation will become less concerned about force projection and more concerned with tailoring an army to be effective and economical and suited to its local area. (e.g. local geography, available manpower, rescources etc.)

Not really a shiny, high tech vison of future warfare, but when is war ever beautiful?

posted on Apr, 23 2006 @ 02:19 PM
link   
TheSilentProtagonist - Your views are ludacris, that will never happen. We have plenty of oil on earth, theres still a lot that hasn't been found, or is in a place wheres its not quiet cost effective to get it (IE: Antartica).

But 50 years is to far to speculate...thats really the reason I just dont like this thread...ITS TO OPEN.

In 50 years though...i would guess that we will either be filling up our vehicles with water, or they will have betteries in them. (Future scenerio: You pull into your garage once your home, and the car pulls power wirelessly from a source in your garage, that is connected to the grid. Gas Stations will be power stations, where you can pull in, and after 1 minute they are 90% charged use a quick charge method.

Theres just to much speculation, we could have a huge battery breakthrough in 10 years that make them 10,000 times more efficient.....ya just dont know.

As for Anti-Grav, This tech is the holy grail of aviation, theres is nothing that would impact how we live more than this would. I dont see this being possible for at least 50 years...but probably more like 200 years.

[edit on 23-4-2006 by Murcielago]

posted on Apr, 23 2006 @ 04:57 PM
link   
Lol ok yeah, fifty or sixty or so years is a bit wooly ill admit, but i did say i was wildly speculating! just looking at it from another perspective. You did say it was a rather open thread.

i wasnt talking about a sudden and abrupt vanishing of the worlds oil, i meant thats it just going to become more and more expensive as oil reserves begin to dwindle and it becomes less cost effective to dig deeper into reserves to find it. Hardly "ludacris" views. I was just imagining what it would be like should we not find an alternative to oil. But anyway, we digress.....

Oil or no oil, i still think were gonna see more military downscaling, and better training of our infantry to deal with irregular warfare and insurgencies. I think the american Land Warrior program is a good indication of the direction were going, using technology to augument a the individual soldiers skills rather than being a "quick fix".

posted on Apr, 23 2006 @ 05:14 PM
link   
Ok, to make this topic easier to reply to, lets talk about the future 100 years from now.

posted on Apr, 23 2006 @ 05:20 PM
link   
You guys are right. Oil will eventually run out. But humans are smart, so they will find a new power source. My opinion is that the world should turn to solar energy. Everything that needs a powersource can have a solar power generator
(the generator's size will depend on the size of what it powers, ie a tank will have a big one, a UAV will have a small one. The generator stores excess energy so the vehicles won't stop at night. Solar energy is a very good idea. Weapons maybe too can use solar energy, perhaps some weapons will absorb large amounts of energy, magnify it, then shoot it out. I don't know. But I still stick to solar energy when oil runs out.

posted on Apr, 23 2006 @ 09:04 PM
link   
Oil will not run out, there's lot of oil in the world, lots and lots of it.

What may get in shorter supply is oil that you can pull out of the ground for $4-$8 a bbl. Oil shale in the Rockies exceed all of the ME oil supply. The problem is you've got cook the rock to get it out and it cost about $40 a bbl.

You can turn just about anything into fuel, even dead cats. Even failling that, there plenty of fuel to be found in coal and world's lousy with that.

Regading future weapons.

To quote GTA:VC: In the future there will be robots.

posted on Apr, 23 2006 @ 09:16 PM
link   
While I agree that the current military is tied closely to oil and oil refinement , the refinement part seems to be often overlooked. I believe IF and note the big IF oil is still the main power source for propulsion technology in the future 100+ years then we might see an increase in well and refinery defense possible hardened stealth underground or underwater refineries. If anything the ability to send supplies around the world is getting easier not harder. Just because one area lacks some natural resources doesn't mean it cant be shipped in . Also as Russian soldier stated

people are smart
if oil is the key to an effective war machine and if a military lacks oil they will find a way to use their resources. In WW2 Germany which had massive coal mines started the development of underground coal refineries that converted coal into fuel. Brazil has developed a massive ethanol fuel production from sugar cane. There are even reports from scientist that some oil fields are actually refilling with oil from deep underground undermining past estimates of the earths oil deposits!!! I have to say in 100 years even the absolute best military scientist would have no idea what will be going on in 100 years. There is a huge tech gap there especially at the rate that technology changes the world these days. We might be using advanced gas powered platforms or we might be flying around the stars at hyperspace speeds powered by some unknown energy or maybe both!! nobody knows...

posted on Apr, 23 2006 @ 10:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheSilentProtagonist
I wasn’t talking about a sudden and abrupt vanishing of the worlds oil, i meant thats it just going to become more and more expensive as oil reserves begin to dwindle and it becomes less cost effective to dig deeper into reserves to find it.

It would do just the opposite. As the price of oil per barrel increases, it becomes more attractive to drill in harsher terrains. It may cost more to drill there, but you know your product will still turn a healthy profit.

Russian soldier
My opinion is that the world should turn to solar energy. Everything that needs a powersource can have a solar power generator (the generator's size will depend on the size of what it powers, ie a tank will have a big one, a UAV will have a small one. The generator stores excess energy so the vehicles won't stop at night. Solar energy is a very good idea. Weapons maybe too can use solar energy, perhaps some weapons will absorb large amounts of energy, magnify it, then shoot it out. I don't know. But I still stick to solar energy when oil runs out.

Solar Power generator??? Are you saying if you had it your way, virtually everything on earth would have solar panels on them? That would not only look ugly, but rely very heavily on good weather. The Solar cells collect the energy, and store it in batteries...batteries are heavy and perform bad in cold temps.

and if a tank had big fragile solar panels on top of it, all the enemy would need to do it shoot bullets at it....and once the panels are all shot up...the tank will only go as far as the juice in its batteries allow. And what happens to your big powerful army when your faced with clouds for several days.
And I cant even imagine how you think solar powered weapons will work???

All in all, Solar everything......Would be an amazingly dumb idea. (no offense)

top topics

join