It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

An area 51 Janet, but what is the deal with those engines??!!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 21 2006 @ 04:35 PM
link   
I may not be up to speed with engines and aircraft that are non-military, but please tell me these are not the production engines fitted as standard??

Are they some kind of noise suppressiuon / IR suppression? as with the B-2, if any of you folks in the know fill me in I'd be very appreciative. Oh and one thing about the site, there are some spectacular aircraft images on there, just follow the links at the top of the page!

home.earthlink.net...

posted on Apr, 21 2006 @ 04:42 PM
link   
They look like standard JT-8D's to me, why didn't you want them to be standard?

I have many pictures of 737-100 and 200's and there is nothing externally remarkable about that one at all.

posted on Apr, 21 2006 @ 05:11 PM
link   
It was the length and depth of them that got me, and not being into civil aviation and so used to modern stuff that i didnt even have a clue about those on that plane - as i say, cheers for the info .

posted on Apr, 21 2006 @ 05:27 PM
link   
You're welcome. What you have on that picture is an example of cutting edge 1960's airliner engine technology
They do look odd if you are used to todays big fans.

posted on Apr, 21 2006 @ 05:29 PM
link   
They are freaky if you sit behing them and the thrust reversers pop up and back, you swear the engine just came apart

But as waynos asserts they are the standard engine before the CMF's became the engine du jur

posted on Apr, 21 2006 @ 05:44 PM
link   
1 explanation from me:

out dated picture

737's (I think their what that is) used to use jets like that. I remember when I was eight thinking that they looked a lot cooler on the little models I bought at the airport when we traveled (I do that a lot since I can get cheap tickets because my dad works for united airlines)

posted on Apr, 21 2006 @ 06:13 PM
link   
Here's a PANAM with the same, or very similar, egines.

www.panamair.org...

posted on Apr, 21 2006 @ 07:04 PM
link   
as I said its nothing unusual and its just an out dated picture

posted on Apr, 21 2006 @ 10:05 PM
link   
It's not an outdated picture. The JANET 737s are configured as 200-series with the turbojet engines. They were never reconfigured with the newer turbofans.

posted on Apr, 21 2006 @ 10:11 PM
link   
okay then out of date plane. your point is?

posted on Apr, 22 2006 @ 03:52 AM
link   
I suppose his point is that the picture could have been taken yesterday, while your post suggests it is a very old picture, perhaps?

Actually I don't believe that any 737's were ever converted to take the newer engines. 737' s with pylon mounted CFM-56's were all built that way from new, this is just an old plane still in service.

[edit on 22-4-2006 by waynos]

posted on Apr, 22 2006 @ 04:17 AM
link   
There are still a lof of -200s flying around. Aloha Airlines flies them interisland here, hundreds of flights a day. The -200 IS old, but still reliable.

You're right Waynos, there was never a conversion kit made to mount the new engines. They would have had to replace the wings to mount them.

posted on Apr, 23 2006 @ 04:31 PM
link   
Why teach an old bird new tricks?

If it gets the job done, why change?

Shattered OUT...

top topics

join