It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Culture of Corruption spreads to Democrats

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 21 2006 @ 02:18 PM
link   
The Democrats have had a field day recently, playing holier than thou because of Abramhoff and Delay. Now, it seems that they play the same games.

Oh, what a surprise!

The Wall Street Journal reported yesterday that federal prosecutors have opened an investigation of Mollohan's personal financial disclosures. The article also raised questions about earmarks -- or special provisions included in federal spending bills -- that he has steered to nonprofits in West Virginia in the past five years. Mollohan, a member of both the ethics and appropriations committees, has not been accused of any wrongdoing. He acknowledged in an interview making real estate investments with the head of a nonprofit company that received federal money from earmarks Mollohan backed. But, he contended, he is fully "at risk" in the investments and received no special favors in either financing or locating the investments.
Corruption

[edit on 21-4-2006 by jsobecky]

posted on Apr, 21 2006 @ 02:23 PM
link   
Currupt Politicians?!

I don't buy it. Not in America.

Becky...say it ain't so!

posted on Apr, 21 2006 @ 02:47 PM
link   
The only possible answer to the corruption in Washington is whenever the Republicans gets busted.....lets point our fingers at the Democrats and say "well they did it to" and when the Democrats get busted lets point our fingers at the Republicans and say "well they did it too"

Anything to keep from holding the thieving rotten SOBs responsible for their actions. We might actually have to look at the problem then.

posted on Apr, 21 2006 @ 04:56 PM
link   
I wouldn't lie to you, DaFunk. I was as shocked as you were.

Term limits, that's my solution. Because that's the only way a third party candidate, and thus a chance at real change, has a prayer of getting elected.

posted on Apr, 21 2006 @ 06:11 PM
link   
Yes it's a shocker but it brings the fact that corruption in Washington is well spread and goes far and the reason we don't get anything done is because both side in congress are trying to cover their own butts.

That is why when something comes out is quickly pushed away.

What a shame.

But we should not be surprised, power corrupt, money corrupt and politicians are the most corrupted people in our nation.

posted on Apr, 21 2006 @ 06:22 PM
link   
Beat me to it Marg. You are 100% correct as well. Corruption isnt a republican, democrat, green, or communist issue. Its a human issue. I mean were all tempted to take, do, or say things we shouldnt at some point or another. Its just a matter of acting on those impulses. Its really hard for me to understand corruption because I can say no to my temptations because I know its wrong. But I think its the power you get being in a high position that corrupts these men and women, its not that they are all born this way, but the power corrupts them. Its been like this throughout history and it wont change.

posted on Apr, 25 2006 @ 07:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by ludaChris
Beat me to it Marg. You are 100% correct as well. Corruption isnt a republican, democrat, green, or communist issue. Its a human issue. I mean were all tempted to take, do, or say things we shouldnt at some point or another. Its just a matter of acting on those impulses. Its really hard for me to understand corruption because I can say no to my temptations because I know its wrong. But I think its the power you get being in a high position that corrupts these men and women, its not that they are all born this way, but the power corrupts them. Its been like this throughout history and it wont change.

Indeed. So much can be said here. Man is corrupt and dispensed to wrong doing by his/her nature....many will argue against even this....yet, power is the aphrodisiac that enlightens evil in our minds and souls. Our leaders- we elect (in free nations)- succumb to the tasty morsels thrown their way and follow the trail of crumbs to their own version of grandmas house- where the ol' wolf will ultimately come for them...
History is untimely and tends to repeat. Wait a second and it will change the same way.

posted on May, 3 2006 @ 10:40 AM
link   
Becky:

That the Democrats are part of the "culture of corruption" in Washington is, like, NOT a shock.

However, I don't think your quote there about Mollohan quite captures what the problem is. The article seems to be talking only about Mollohan's possible personal corruption, that is, taking kickbacks or inside investment information to plump out his own purse. Sure, that kind of thing happens, and it's a temptation for politicians just as power-dazzled young interns are.

But the real problem, the thing that is ruining our democracy, is completely legal, which bribery of the kind the article is talking about isn't. It's not when pols take money for their own personal bank accounts. It's when they take it, systematically and in huge amounts, for their campaign chests, and proffer policy considerations in return.

Not all pols are personally corrupt. But every last one of them is corrupt in terms of campaign financing, whether they want to be or not, because they have to be. A campaign costs lots of money, and if you don't have that money, honey, you can't run. And that means corporate donors (from whom most of the money comes) have veto power over who can run for elected office.

And THAT'S how they wield such obscene influence over our government -- NOT by greasing the palms of the occasional greedy, corrupt politician under the table.

Which is why, although I agree that term limits is a pretty good idea, it will not solve the problem of entrenched corruption. The only thing that will is a system of public financing of campaigns, which will cut the need for the corporate donations, and leave politicians beholden only to those they SHOULD be serving: the voters.

posted on May, 3 2006 @ 01:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Amuk
The only possible answer to the corruption in Washington is whenever the Republicans gets busted.....lets point our fingers at the Democrats and say "well they did it to" and when the Democrats get busted lets point our fingers at the Republicans and say "well they did it too"

That's why I like it when my Representative or Senator holds a town hall meeting in my area. The last one held in my town was a Republican Representative that got to pointing fingers at Senator Robert Byrd pointing out things that were "wrong" with Byrd's interactions with Social Security. During the Q&A session, I asked one simple question:

"If you so disagree with Senator Byrd, what have you done to counteract him or to bring sanctions against him if the charges were warranted?"

I got a lot of stammers and "uh's" and such. It ended up, "Well, he is entitled to say what he wants, but I disagree with him."

Now, I wasn't trying to defend the Senator or his party. My point was that I didn't want him to gripe and point fingers at someone else unless the Representative himself was willing to take some sort of action and defend his own position.

It seems that it is left up to the watchdog groups to find out what our people in Washington, DC are doing or not doing and then to yell their head off about it.

JDub

new topics

top topics

join