It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

POLITICS: Over 1,000 Arrested In Largest Immigration Raid In U.S. History

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 21 2006 @ 12:31 PM
link   
Thursday, Federal Agents (ICE) arrested seven former and current managers of IFCO pursuant to criminal complaints issued in the state of New York. All these individuals have been charged with conspiring to harbor, transport, and encourage and induce illegal aliens to live in the United States for commercial advantage and private financial gain. Each conspiracy charge can carry a penalty of up to 10 years in prison and a fine of up to $250,000 for each alien with respect to whom the violation takes place. In addition to the criminal arrests, ICE agents yesterday conducted “consent” searches or implemented criminal search warrants at more than 40 IFCO plants and related locations in 26 states that resulted in the arrest of roughly 1,187 illegal alien IFCO employees.

www.cbsnews.com
Homeland Security is getting tough on illegal immigrants and the companies that hire them. In a series of nationwide raids, agents on Wednesday arrested executives and employees of a manufacturing company – and the feds warn this is just the beginning.

Homeland Security Secretary Michael Chertoff announced the results of the sting on Thursday, calling it the largest worksite enforcement operation in U.S. history.

"In fact, we arrested more people in this single worksite enforcement operation than in the entirety of last year," he said.

Chertoff said agents of Immigration and Custom Enforcement raided the offices and plants of IFCO Systems across the country. The raids resulted in the arrests of seven managers and 1,187 of the firm's illegal employees across 26 states. Chertoff said about 53 percent of the firm's employees during 2005 had invalid or mismatched Social Security numbers.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

According to Chertoff, this case began after officials got a tip that IFCO workers in Guilderland, N.Y. were seen ripping up their W-2 forms because they did not intend to file tax returns which makes one wonder if the FEDS were more interested in the money from the tax fillings, rather then the fact they were here illegally.

Also of concern is the timing of the arrests. It seems rather convenient they would pick yesterday to make the arrests rather then let's say a month from now after the planned May 1, protests.

Or is this a ploy to make it look like they intend to do something by sacrificing 1,000 plus so they can get 500,000 by passing an immigration bill that is filled with flaws?

The next question is will they deport those illegals that were arrested or will they just issue them a summons to appear in court on a certain day only to have them disappear into other parts of the country?

With that said, the timing is suspect; but the message is a good one if they continue to carry out more operations like this.

Related News Links:
www.usatoday.com
biz.yahoo.com

[edit on 4/21/2006 by shots]

posted on Apr, 21 2006 @ 01:26 PM
link   
Wow. That’s something I didn’t expect to happen.

I have mixed feelings about this news. On one hand, I think it’s a good thing. After all, anyone in this country who breaks the law must pay the consequences. There are plenty of people who commit ‘victimless’ crimes and they still have to pay the consequences. Why should illegal immigrants be any different? I’m all for the employers being arrested, but these illegal immigrants knew the law, too and I think they should be held accountable for breaking it.

I know, they’re trying to feed their family, but the prostitute who’s trying to feed her kids and the drug dealer who’s just trying to feed his family can’t use that excuse for the crimes they commit, regardless of their reason for breaking the law. This is a country of laws and every person should be held to the same standards.

And I can’t help but think that this company will now have to hire US citizens, which, in my mind, is also a good thing.

So I support this action in theory.

On the other hand, it’s no secret how I feel about this administration and when Michael Chertoff does something, I automatically ask myself two questions. What is in it for the administration? And… What are they trying to cover up or draw our attention way from? I know I’m a cynic, but I also question the timing. It’s been a well-known fact for many years that illegal immigration is an issue in this country. Why are they making this so public NOW? Why are they taking action NOW?

And several flags went off as I read the entire article…

Chertoff said about 53 percent of the firm's employees during 2005 had invalid or mismatched Social Security numbers.

I’m paying my taxes every year. I never cheat, I never even stretch the truth and here are people taking advantage of ME and I’m not too crazy about that. And if I falsified my SS number or my taxes, I’d go to jail.

Detention centers are filling up rapidly, and some are already over capacity.

Hmmm… Detention Centers, huh? Wonder where we’re going to get more detention centers… I guess we’ll have to build them. Then, once all the illegal immigrants either go home, get pardoned or become legal, what will we do with all that detention space?

Hmmmm...

posted on Apr, 21 2006 @ 01:29 PM
link   
I am glad that our officials are doing something about the problem with laws braking for hiring illegals.

But. . . I also wonder how long will this last and when if something will come out about the New on the table immigration laws that we still have not clue what is going to be about.

GA is also taking measures against businesses that hire illegals.

posted on Apr, 21 2006 @ 07:18 PM
link   
So 1,000 out of 20,000,000. Only 19,999,000 more illegal immigrants to go. And probably around another 1 million + US business's to fine.

apc

posted on Apr, 21 2006 @ 09:24 PM
link   
Homeland Security is pretty incompetent when it comes to immigration enforcement. This has to be a "Lets actually do something to make it seem like we're not asleep."

posted on Apr, 22 2006 @ 10:37 AM
link   
Has anyone other then me noticed one very funny statement in the story?

I am talking about where Chertoff stated the investigation started when they saw the illegals burning their W2's. I find that very strange, since I have never been handed my W2 at work. Mine have always mailed to me all my life no matter what size the company was.

apc

posted on Apr, 22 2006 @ 10:45 AM
link   
The only jobs Ive stayed at for longer than a week were small businesses. If I were pesent at the time of distribution, my W-2's were handed to me. Large corporate environments would always mail them, though.

posted on Apr, 22 2006 @ 10:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by apc
The only jobs Ive stayed at for longer than a week were small businesses. If I were pesent at the time of distribution, my W-2's were handed to me. Large corporate environments would always mail them, though.

I agree; that what makes this strange, in this case the firm is a rather large one, therefore it seems only logical they would mail theirs out just as others do, but allegedly this is not the case here.

Frankly this makes me very suspect that catching them in the act of burning them is the reason the investigation started. I smell a rat

posted on Apr, 22 2006 @ 11:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by shots

I am talking about where Chertoff stated the investigation started when they saw the illegals burning their W2's.

I did find that very strange and that's why I looked for it in all 3 of your sources and couldn't find any mention of a W2. Did I just miss it? Which source is it in?

posted on Apr, 22 2006 @ 01:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by ImplementOfWar
So 1,000 out of 20,000,000. Only 19,999,000 more illegal immigrants to go. And probably around another 1 million + US business's to fine.

I think your numbers are a bit inflated. Most estimates put the number of ii's at 10-12 million.

The way to knock that number down quickly is to go after the employers. If they ain't paying, the ii's ain't stayin.
Nothing gets a businessman's attention quicker than to grab his wallet.

from shots
Frankly this makes me very suspect that catching them in the act of burning them is the reason the investigation started. I smell a rat.

It very well may be. That was a dumb move, burning the W2's. It's something that would attract attention with or without an immigration problem, especially around tax time.

posted on Apr, 22 2006 @ 01:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic

I am talking about where Chertoff stated the investigation started when they saw the illegals burning their W2's.

I did find that very strange and that's why I looked for it in all 3 of your sources and couldn't find any mention of a W2. Did I just miss it? Which source is it in?

No it was there yesterday in the yahoo link that has since been updated but I did find the same by doing a search in another source. This is identical to what yahoo had yesterday.

Link

The case began after officials got a tip that IFCO workers in Guilderland, N.Y. were seen ripping up their W-2 forms because they did not intend to file tax returns, Chertoff said.

That is one of the reasons I hate using Yahoo news as a source it is here today gone tomorrow, but there you have it from another source proving it was said as stated.

posted on Apr, 22 2006 @ 01:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by jsobecky

It very well may be. That was a dumb move, burning the W2's. It's something that would attract attention with or without an immigration problem, especially around tax time.

Most certainly a dumb move for sure, but it bothers me more that they caught them burning them. I smell a rat there alone, something is not right there. This is not a mom and pop operation that might hand out W2's it is a rather large company in fact reportedly the largest pallet comapny in the US, who would normally mail theirs out. Could this be a Freudian slip on the part of DHS/ICE?

[edit on 4/22/2006 by shots]

posted on Apr, 22 2006 @ 01:42 PM
link   
Not to make a big deal or anything, but I looked yesterday. I had my response typed in word because your story was still pending and not accepting replies. It wasn't there then either. I searched the Internet for it and couldn't find anything about W2s. How odd.

Thanks for providing the other link.

Yeah, something's not right here. That's why I say I'm suspect of the motives.

posted on Apr, 22 2006 @ 02:35 PM
link   
Here you go just as I suspected and this is in the Houston Area alone there is no mention what happened in other areas

Fifty-three were released because only those who are fugitive aliens, wanted by another law enforcement agency or considered threats to national security must be held in custody, Hatfield said. The 53 must stay in touch with ICE every two weeks while they try to obtain legal immigration status or face deportation hearings.

"We lack, at times, a sufficient amount of bed space to hold those non-priority type aliens, which needs work," Hatfield said.

Source

Imagine that 53 free to roam although it does say they have to stay in contact with ICE and I doubt that will happen in all cases. :shk:

Seems to me the right thing to have done was charter a bus and take them to the border and release them to Mexican authorities, that is a hell of a lot better then letting them roam the streets here where they can grab a bus to NY and get lost in the masses.

posted on Apr, 23 2006 @ 09:23 AM
link   
If they really want to make the largest set of immigration arrests in history, why don't they barricade in all the illegal immigrants next time they have a big protest on American soil, and then check the ID of every single person, taking them into custody if they can't produce a green card or other 'proof of citizenship' type document?

That will sure take out a big chunk real quick.

apc

posted on Apr, 23 2006 @ 11:15 AM
link   
The Man is not allowed to stop people in the middle of the street and ask for papers. There must be probable cause, and being at a protest doesn't cut it.
Tearing up W-2's does.

The best technique that covers all the bases is poorly done and underutilized. Places of employment known to employ illegals, like IFCO in this case, can be visited and employment records requested. Anyone suspect can be questioned.

posted on May, 2 2006 @ 04:31 PM
link   

Imagine that 53 free to roam although it does say they have to stay in contact with ICE and I doubt that will happen in all cases. :shk:

Seems to me the right thing to have done was charter a bus and take them to the border and release them to Mexican authorities, that is a hell of a lot better then letting them roam the streets here where they can grab a bus to NY and get lost in the masses.

Mexican authorities? you do know that a large percentage of illegals are not mexican right?

But hey let mexico deal with them, they are surely competent.

And forget about due process right because im sure the government never makes mistakes when they arrest people.

But hey they are not real Americans so all those pesky inaliable human rights don't apply to them.

posted on May, 2 2006 @ 06:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheEXone

Mexican authorities? you do know that a large percentage of illegals are not mexican right?

OK change that to nation of Origin in stead of Mexico alone. I do however disagree with you on your assessment that there are more other nationals them their are. Hispanic.

But hey they are not real Americans so all those pesky inaliable human rights don't apply to them.

Full Civil rights only apply with those that enter legally. the only civil rights they have as I understand it under law is their right to a lawyer and human treatment while in custody

One precedent would be the wet foot dry, foot law in place although I am sure there are more now after 9/11.

[edit on 5/2/2006 by shots]

[edit on 5/2/2006 by shots]

posted on May, 2 2006 @ 06:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheEXone

Civil rights only apply to those that enter legally with visas etc, and yes there is the exception of being treated humanly but they are not the same.

Agreed, they are absolutely not the same. I am actually all for most of these Mexican guys and gals. Not all, but most. Yes, I recognize there are other immigrants from other countries involved as well. Yes, the commerce of the country would in some ways be affected. Yes, we've made our bed and we must lie in it, too. Yes, a lot of crazy stuff is happening. We have to make do with what has already happened and work on preventative measures to stop it from happening again if the people do so decide. I could have sworn that I saw official polls somewhere with the majority (and that's over 50% folks, I know some like to discount 60% as not enough) that said they were all for amnesty for those already here.

Don't any of us notice how this is yet again dividing us as a country?

posted on May, 2 2006 @ 06:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by niteboy82
I could have sworn that I saw official polls somewhere with the majority (and that's over 50% folks, I know some like to discount 60% as not enough) that said they were all for amnesty for those already here.

I saw a poll on CNN where 60+% people that illegals are hurting the economy. I have hard time reconciling these numbers. Maybe the CNN audinece is more educated than an average American.

I personally think that amnesty on that scale and under these circumstances is crazy.

Don't any of us notice how this is yet again dividing us as a country?

So be it. In fact this time it's not along the party lines -- both the Dems and the Reps are split on this issue. People who are in favor of the amnesty, imho, are simply supporting this measure while courting the Hispanic vote, which I find disgusting.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join