It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Giant ATS Projects

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 20 2006 @ 09:05 PM
link   
Hi, I was thinking, and I thought, why does'nt ATS do a giant Collaborative Project. We could have a list of Things, such as UFO's, NWO, Etc. Then ATS members would vote on the top 5, then we would all contribute something to a collaborative project, and everyone would be encouraged to participate. Is this possible, or would this be just too hard? What do you think?

P.S. : when we are done with the project, we could send it to the TinWiki to be an article

[edit on 4/20/2006 by The_Time_is_now]

posted on Apr, 20 2006 @ 09:12 PM
link   
These never seem to work out. But if you are committing to organize and keep this train moving...I'm in and will help anytime I can.

The major gaps in the past on collaborative efforts has lain in the areas of:

1. Communication (u2u's to keep all involved members up to date on what is needed, what is being worked on, what their part is, when their deadline is)

2. Follow-through - they never seem to come to completion.

If you can FIX the above two fall-throughs, you've got my help. But that also means I'll be expecting a u2u to let me know what's planned and what's needed.

lol

[edit on 4-20-2006 by Valhall]

posted on Apr, 20 2006 @ 09:13 PM
link   
You know it sounds like "scholar" research project. If you have an idea for research you could contact ADVISOR and assemble a team.

btw- I love the idea of sending it to TinWiki when complete.

posted on Apr, 20 2006 @ 09:21 PM
link   
Well I think there should be an Incentive to participate, otherwise people won't really care. If you were to put, say a 600 point reward for helping, then maybe people would help. But there should be some rules on how you can get the points, like you shoud contribute 5 times or something, in order to get the points. It also would be benificial to the TinWiki, because the database would grow very large.

posted on Apr, 20 2006 @ 09:37 PM
link   
I also think that we should have a U2U vote for the projects topic, Members will pick from a list of suggested ideas what do you think?

posted on Apr, 20 2006 @ 11:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by The_Time_is_now
I also think that we should have a U2U vote for the projects topic, Members will pick from a list of suggested ideas what do you think?

So make like a huge subject list and make it our goal to like finish all of them or something? I think that could work, but instead of like points I think like a major update on ATS should occur or something. I dunno what, cause points seems sorta lame to keep giving out. Ok now I don't know where I was going with this, but I think the Mod's and Council could figure out something. Anyways just a thought.

posted on Apr, 21 2006 @ 12:13 AM
link   
You're onto something, poster.

I have never involved myself in "research" at ATS, even though I'm a professional researcher IRL (and handsomely paid for it, too). I've got a number of articles published, and am working on a major textbook.

But, as you say, there is no point in earning more points, so there's no incentive to volunteer up for a research team. Especially since I'm so adapt, I often end up doing the bulk of the work when I am assigned a team, and here there is quite literally no payoff.

If I do conspiracy research (and I've done plenty), why bother to collaborate with other ATS'ers, many of whom may not be as adroit or driven as myself?

You sir, have hit the nail on the head.

posted on Apr, 21 2006 @ 01:25 AM
link   
The thing is, the person has to want to do it. The reward being a completed study;

Once a team has completed their collaborative research and authored a final research "paper", it will be published to our news portal, and press releases will be broadcast to traditional media.

The research forum already has a decent point reward;

Contribution is rewarded by points for every post (250)... and if something astounding is uncovered, the entire research team gets an additional bonus (1,000 to 5,000 depending in what is uncovered). If the finished piece is carried by mainstream media (non-conspiracy sites), each member team will receive 50,000 points.
At the conclusion of a research project, team leaders receive an additional 2,500 points bonus, regardless of the outcome of the project.

Research Forum: Information and Guidelines

So it is not, the points.

As for a large scale project, I have to agree with the Val, with first hand knowledge. Projects and members all have great momentum in the start, how ever communication seems to be lacking.
This is understandable, and have had no problem with being a little slack with guideline #3;
"3- Once a research project is selected, team members picked, and project launched, we expect some contribution to the project at least every 48 hours. Research projects that slip under this pace may be subject to removal or team modifications."

With this in mind I have added the; "estimated time allocation" based on weekly and or monthly contributions. Mentioned in thread Research Forum and Project REFORM 2.0 But being a scholar has been a use it or lose it feature. Thus it works out pretty good, simple motivation.

Once we can maintain regular projects, I'm sure a "giant Collaborative Project" would be a possability. All interested are welcome to inquire, however it must be stressed "that this effort is intended to be a serious and scholarly effort". As is mentioned in link, equal "number of offline sources in addition to online". That sort of thing and such, you know.

I do think it is possable however, don't get me wrong. My confidence in the community here, is outstandingly solid. Online sources get exhausted, with very few off line. Access can be an issue, but for another time and thread.

Any and all interested in the research forum, are more than welcome to read the topped threads and or, u2u me with any comments/questions.

posted on Apr, 21 2006 @ 09:37 AM
link   
Well I think that we should do it, but the major problem is getting members to want to participate in it. What should we do to get them to want to do the project? Any Ideas or thoughts?

posted on Apr, 21 2006 @ 09:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by The_Time_is_now
What should we do to get them to want to do the project? Any Ideas or thoughts?

It would be a lot easier if they were self motivated, and wanted to do it to just improve the site. I mean I know I would, just for the fact that the staff does a lot, so it seems like it is our duty to do something like this.

posted on Apr, 21 2006 @ 09:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by The_Final

It would be a lot easier if they were self motivated, and wanted to do it to just improve the site. I mean I know I would, just for the fact that the staff does a lot, so it seems like it is our duty to do something like this.

Ok, then, how will we get this project started, because I am not sure how to go about it. Also, i think that instead of having multiple reaserch projects going on, it would be easier to have just one at a time. That way it would get done faster, and it would be of a better grade, because it will have more people working on it.

posted on Apr, 21 2006 @ 09:51 AM
link   
Well I am not exactly sure if anything like this has been done before, and I don't think that we have a protocol for such a thing. So what exactly is the project? Would it be an off shoot of the research forum? I think we need to figure out exactly what it is first before going about and doing something.

posted on Apr, 21 2006 @ 10:33 AM
link   
I think it should be separate of the research forum, because it won't be seen by many if its there. Until a day ago, I never even knew there was a reaserch forum. Not many people go there, so it should be seperate. We could ask some Mods for help with this.

posted on Apr, 21 2006 @ 06:40 PM
link   
Does anyone else have any ideas? I would like to hear them, because I want to get this project started already.

posted on Apr, 21 2006 @ 09:50 PM
link   
Uh well I liked the idea about like during an overhaul of like Tinwiki. There really isn't much else I can see us doing just because ATS seems to have everything else figured out with some protocol but Tinwiki is new so this could work.

posted on Apr, 21 2006 @ 09:53 PM
link   
Well I think that it would really help the Tin Wiki.

posted on Apr, 22 2006 @ 02:21 AM
link   
Let me know if I can help in any way. Not sure what it entails, or what the subject will be, but hey...great way to learn and get familiar with ATS and other members.

Cheers!

posted on Apr, 22 2006 @ 05:49 PM
link   
I'd help if it ever happened. Anyway if you can send me a u2u automatically when I'm warned then you can do it for something like this right?

new topics

top topics

join