It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Taiwan-China Policy Shift

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 20 2006 @ 08:40 PM
link   
SOURCEBush also reiterated his support for the "one China" policy regarding China's renegade province, Taiwan. "We don't support an independent Taiwan," Bush said.

Hu called Taiwan "an inalienable" part of Chinese territory, pledging to seek a peaceful reunification while resolving never to allow Taiwan to "secede from China by any means."

During the welcoming ceremony, the introduction of the national anthems referred to China as the "Republic of China," the term used by Taiwan to describe itself. Outside Source (CNN)

What the HELL is going on? Didn't we support a FREE Taiwan VERY recently???

WITH CLINTON????

WTF!?SOURCE

posted on Apr, 20 2006 @ 08:57 PM
link   
It may be simply doublespeak, but even if such, the below link may be of interest:

On April 10, 1979, President Carter signed into law the Taiwan Relations Act (TRA), which created domestic legal authority for the conduct of unofficial relations with Taiwan. U.S. commercial, cultural, and other interaction with the people on Taiwan is facilitated through the American Institute in Taiwan (AIT), a private nonprofit corporation. The Institute has its headquarters in the Washington, DC area and has offices in Taipei and Kaohsiung. It is authorized to issue visas, accept passport applications, and provide assistance to U.S. citizens in Taiwan. A counterpart organization, the Taipei Economic and Cultural Representative Office in the United States (TECRO), has been established by the Taiwan authorities. It has its headquarters in Taipei, the representative branch office in Washington, DC, and 11 other Taipei Economic and Cultural Offices (TECO) in the continental U.S. and Guam. The Taiwan Relations Act (TRA) continues to provide the legal basis for the unofficial relationship between the U.S. and Taiwan, and enshrines the U.S. commitment to assisting Taiwan's defensive capability.

Following de-recognition, the United States terminated its Mutual Defense Treaty with Taiwan. However, the United States has continued the sale of appropriate defensive military equipment to Taiwan in accordance with the Taiwan Relations Act, which provides for such sales and which declares that peace and stability in the area are in U.S. interests. Sales of defensive military equipment also are consistent with the 1982 U.S.-P.R.C. Joint Communique. In this communique, the United States stated that "it does not seek to carry out a long-term policy of arms sales to Taiwan" and that U.S. arms sales would "not exceed, either in qualitative or in quantitative terms, the level of those supplied in recent years," and that the U.S. intends "gradually to reduce its sale of arms to Taiwan." The P.R.C., in the 1982 communique, stated that its policy was to strive for a peaceful resolution of the Taiwan question.

The United States position on Taiwan has been clear and consistent, as reflected in the Three Communique's and the Taiwan Relations Act (TRA). The U.S. "one-China" policy acknowledges that both Taiwan and the Mainland are part of China. The U.S. insists on the peaceful resolution of cross-Strait differences and encourages dialogue to help advance such a resolution. The U.S. does not support Taiwan independence. President Bush clearly stated U.S. policy on December 9, 2003. The United States is opposed to any attempt by either side to unilaterally alter the status quo in the Taiwan Strait. The United States has endorsed dialogue and exchanges between the two sides and has encouraged the P.R.C. to engage the democratically elected leadership of Taiwan.
US State Department: Taiwan

seekerof

posted on Apr, 20 2006 @ 09:06 PM
link   
Found this www.ceip.org... and this www.taiwandc.org...
interesting. Clinton and Bush same policy. What can Mr. Kristol say now?
Bottom line for any policy is what would USA do if Taiwan declared independency and wanted to use force? Perhaps Bush will leave that also to another President to sort out.

posted on Apr, 20 2006 @ 09:40 PM
link   
Thats weird, but what is double speak? I thinkthat bush is just trying to confuse us as to what his true intention is.

posted on Apr, 20 2006 @ 09:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by The_Time_is_now
Thats weird, but what is double speak? I thinkthat bush is just trying to confuse us as to what his true intention is.

I provided a link to what 'doublespeak' is.
If your asking in what way I mean that Bush is doublespeaking, which he really is not doing, per se', then simply consider that the US is trying to get China to lean in favor of taking a harsher stance against Iran and their so deemed "peaceful intent" nuclear program and continued uranium enrichment.

seekerof

[edit on 20-4-2006 by Seekerof]

posted on Apr, 20 2006 @ 10:00 PM
link   
Yes, doublespeak, ambiguous evasive language, so not only confuses us but perhaps China as well. Useful if you want someone to believe what they want to hear, as in We won't be in Iraq more than one day necessary.
Kind of sounds like we consider mainland China the Republic, with Taiwan the unruly child belonging to the one China. Remember, Taiwan served its purpose as the example of fighting Communism. With the fall of USSR and Eastern European communist countries, Taiwan as an example is not as important as mainland China a trading partner, rather as our giant manufacturing plant and home to billions and billions of consumers.

posted on Apr, 20 2006 @ 10:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by desert
Yes, doublespeak, ambiguous evasive language, so not only confuses us but perhaps China as well.

This foreign policy is very weird when you consider, by virtue, we should support a free & democratic society. It makes me want to rush the gates of the WH. Why aren't we more concerned with # like this?

posted on Apr, 20 2006 @ 11:18 PM
link   
This is exactly what he should be doing. I personally support an independent Taiwan, but this kind of diplomacy will help keep the situation in the straights from escalating. I'm sure Taiwan knows that if China were to forcefully take Taiwan, we would be there to help. I would bet even if Taiwan declared independence we would be there to keep the Chinese from invading over that. I sure hope we got their back 100 percent, without help I fear Taiwan wouldnt survive a full fledged attack from China. Even though China doesnt have the amphibious capability to get troops and equipment to Taiwan yet, in the next 10-15 years they will.

[edit on 4/20/2006 by ludaChris]

posted on Apr, 21 2006 @ 05:42 AM
link   
The US has been opposed to Taiwanese independence since Nixon.

This doesn't represent any change of policy.

posted on Apr, 21 2006 @ 06:11 AM
link   
Its called keeping China happy, Blair and the Queen did the same when President Hu visited the United Kingdom. What was more interesting, was the joint press conference. Hu was sitting back, nicely relaxed but Bush didn't look his strong self. Bush seemed awkward when reporters kepting asking why Bush didn't press on about democratic reform...

top topics

join