It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

One Definition of Terrorism

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 20 2006 @ 07:43 PM
link   
Definition: A psychological disturbance, injury, or death in a victim caused by a hatred-based individual or group.

To me, Russia is still a terrorist.

posted on Apr, 20 2006 @ 08:37 PM
link   
There is not one singular definition of terrorism. Every agency in the US Govt. has a different definition. And I would bet it would be the same in other countries. I believe its part of the problem the world has identifying terrorists in a unanimous voice. We all have different definitions of the word. Not just on a national level but look at how the definitions differ on an individual level just on this board. Some see groups such as Hizballah and Hamas as terrorist organizations, others see coutries as a whole as terrorist states. So I think it all depends on perspective, but I believe one definition should be eventually agreed upon by the world so we can band together in identifying terrorists and stopping them before they strike.

posted on Apr, 20 2006 @ 09:13 PM
link   
Well, to the american Government, you and me could be considered terrorists, because we are talking bad about them sometimes right. How many of the people in Gauntanimo bay are actually terrorists, and how many are just regular people, caught in a misunderstanding? I would say about 15% are terrorists in gauntanimo bay, and the rest are not a threat.

posted on Apr, 20 2006 @ 09:29 PM
link   
A balanced view usually reveals the truth but do it in a USA beneficial, positive way. Remember who feeds you.

posted on Apr, 20 2006 @ 10:44 PM
link   
form merriam wenster online

The definition is: the systematic use of terror especially as a means of coercion.

so US government uses war as a means for their own purpose. the war not only killed many people, also created great terror in the mind of rest.

Conclusion: US is even wrose than terrorist.

posted on Apr, 21 2006 @ 10:31 AM
link   
The United States of America has probably devoted more resources to fight terrorism than any nation in history. Anybody have numbers on this?

posted on Apr, 21 2006 @ 10:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by GreatTech
Definition: A psychological disturbance, injury, or death in a victim caused by a hatred-based individual or group.

how is russia terrorist according to this defintion? Why must all terrorism be out of hatred, couldn't it be out of cold calculation?

so US government uses war as a means for their own purpose.

War is not terror, it might be terrible, but war isn't used to inflict terror. War is where you kill people that disagree and oppose you. Terrorism is where you kill people cow and frighten other people, and even at that, a definition of terrorism should probably distinguish between soldiers and civilians.

posted on Apr, 21 2006 @ 01:28 PM
link   
Thank you for the nuances Nygdan. I believe that if a civilian believes war is not terror, than that civilian should become a soldier. If a soldier believes war is terror, then that soldier should become a civilian.

posted on Apr, 21 2006 @ 02:10 PM
link   
If you want to say that all war is terror, then thats fine, but it kinda makes the word 'terrorism' so broad as to be useless. Anyone thats not a pacifist becomes a terrorist.

posted on Apr, 21 2006 @ 02:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nygdan
If you want to say that all war is terror, then thats fine, but it kinda makes the word 'terrorism' so broad as to be useless. Anyone thats not a pacifist becomes a terrorist.

Just like "Jihad", it’s almost meaningless now days.

I mean, theoretically, even Osama himself would consider some people "terrorists".

Its all relative.

posted on Apr, 21 2006 @ 07:21 PM
link   
War is a heightened state of terrorism and terrorism is a lowered state of war. Hitler's victims, Hiroshima's, and Nagasaki's make 9/11/2001 look like three granules in the sand.

posted on Apr, 21 2006 @ 07:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by skippytjc

Just like "Jihad", it’s almost meaningless now days.

I mean, theoretically, even Osama himself would consider some people "terrorists".

Its all relative.

Darn skippy didnt think you had it in you...

Now this is step one to discovering who your worst enemy is, have an open mind skip and maybe you will see the light

[edit on 21-4-2006 by motionknight]

posted on Apr, 22 2006 @ 04:18 PM
link   

War is not terror, it might be terrible, but war isn't used to inflict terror. War is where you kill people that disagree and oppose you. Terrorism is where you kill people cow and frighten other people, and even at that, a definition of terrorism should probably distinguish between soldiers and civilians.

So with that definition the war on Iraq falls in which category?

posted on Apr, 22 2006 @ 04:35 PM
link   

Didn't the US have a "Shock and Awe" campaign during the Iraqi War....

Shock and Awe is a military doctrine and a method of unconventional warfare that attempts to destroy an adversary's will to fight through spectacular displays of power. Its authors label it a subset of rapid dominance, a doctrine that advocates defeating an adversary by swift action against all aspects of their ability to resist, rather than by strictly military forces. It is a product of the National Defense University of the United States, and has been notably applied in the 2003 U.S. invasion of Iraq.

However, "shock" and "awe" are both synonyms of terror. To that extent, or from the perspective of the insurgent forces fighting conventional forces in military theatres such as the Middle East who frequently use terrorist doctrines or methods, or both, shock and awe is difficult to distinguish from terrorism because of the large number of indiscriminate civilian deaths. Mortality due to violence in Iraq since 2003, for example, has been due to coalition forces far more than insurgents. [1]

en.wikipedia.org...

Terrorism is considered unconventional warfare. The lines blur rapidly when trying to distinguish terrorism from war or battle or any other fight. Generally, terrorism is considered illegal force by a given country, therefore, other states cannot be terrorists, but they can support terrorism. But, then it still becomes a matter of perspective because one state may consider it legal while the other considers it illegal.

Another definition is that it is the peace-time equivalent to a war-crime. If this definition is used, than I guess all terrorists in the eyes of the US are now war criminals rather than terrorists, since the US is in a "War on Terror."

In general, terrorism doesn't really mean much except subjectively and is primarily used to express disapproval or attack the moral legitimacy of the so-called "terrorists." But, then again, when is war every completely moral? War is simply a word that legitimizes killing another person.

posted on Apr, 22 2006 @ 04:49 PM
link   
I have to agree that 'terrorism' is a hard word to define what with it still evolving on the fly. I'm sure the world will see new depths of depravity before all is said and done. It's the scurge of the Earth.

posted on Apr, 22 2006 @ 04:53 PM
link   

Well put. War is an instrument of policy wherein one nation attempts to impose its will upon another. Despite its violence and chaotic nature, there are more-or-less-universally observed rules dictating limits to how a war is prosecuted.

Terrorism, almost by definition, observes no rules at all, and depends on its victim's knowledge of that fact. That's how a state of terror is created -- when you know the attack is going to come at you and your family, innocent civilians all, and (probably) not at your country's professional soldiers. A side benefit to a terrorist campaign is that it can force its target-country's government to behave exactly as how the terrorist defines its behavior, i.e. paranoid, bellicose, and suspicious of its own citizens.

Somebody once said that in a war, the worst that can do is kill you. In a terrorist campaign, they can make you a slave. (And then kill you...)

This is a good discussion. I'm reasonably new here, but all you smart and friendly people make me glad I joined.

Baack

posted on May, 2 2006 @ 03:32 PM
link   
Assume terrorism and war both involve violence against others and that war involves soldier to soldier violence and terrorism involves civilian to civilian violence: which has created more death and injury, by country and time?

Also, what are the terms for soldier to civilian violence and civilian to soldier violence? Any statisitics on this?

posted on May, 2 2006 @ 09:32 PM
link   
terror was firstly introduced by a modern day Bram Stoker--George Bush Senior to scared every creatures from north to southern pole, and now it royally scared him and his fellas. Well--Dracula that consumes Mr Stoker. Even his son is having hard time to drag his ass to catch some snooze (sleep well junior....)

posted on May, 2 2006 @ 09:42 PM
link   
Be thankful you have food to eat. No matter where we live in the USA it is almost Beverly Hills compared to most of the world.

new topics

top topics

join