It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Oil companies suppressing mass transit development technologies like magnetic levitation

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 20 2006 @ 05:06 PM
link   
There must be cases of oil companies trying to halt the exposure of certain technologies like maglev to protect their own 'special' interests. Apparently congress had appropriated $26.2 million to identify maglev system concepts for use in the United States and to assess the technical and economic feasibility of these systems.
The ramifications in changing our ways of travel for the better could be huge not to mention subduing our oil fetish as a planet. I'm wondering
have the oil big boys been preventing the inevitable- a steering towards other more efficient ways like magnetic levitation and other transportation technologies? Is there any proof or evidence around to support this?.. I'd be very interested to hear anyone's feedback, knowledge, understandings..

Its a great site by the way, i only found it today for the first time and see there are some great things going on/ interactions.

Peace.

posted on Apr, 20 2006 @ 05:41 PM
link   
I don't think anyone in particular is trying to supress maglev technology in the States. The big problem is the paradigm shift which would be required in building maglev systems, especially as city transportation. The cost are really astronomical, and 26 Mill for research is a drop in the bucket. Additionally, Maglev still requires significant electricity (coal/nuclear) to operate- it uses electromagnets, rather than natural magnets.

This is also in the wrong place. See you in Peak Oil.

new topics

join