It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Woman Builds House From Jet

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 20 2006 @ 02:39 PM
link   
"The wise (wo)man build his house out of an old 747!" A woman from California has been given approval to build her house using parts from a 747 Jet.

news.bbc.co.uk
The wing of the Boeing jet will be used for the roof, its nose as a meditation temple while its trademark "bulge" will serve as a loft.

The plane's parts were obtained from an aeroplane scrap yard in California.

"The recycling of the 4.5 million parts of this 'big aluminium can' is seen as an extreme example of sustainable reuse and appropriation. American consumers and industry throw away enough aluminium in a year to rebuild our entire aeroplane commercial fleet every three months."

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Although this is a bit of a 'one off' concept it should be an eye opener to all.

This project is an excellent method of recycling what would be otherwise scrap metal and while her house will probably look like an eyesore (being made almost entirely of aluminium) I think it shows just how innovative humans can be.

On the otherhand most people don't have several million dollars to build a property from scratch. Nevertheless, I think concepts such as these should be given more consideration in the long run. If costs could be reduced for smaller scale projects the right developer could create a niche market for first time buyers and potentially help fix some of the UK's (and elsewhere's) housing issues.

posted on Apr, 20 2006 @ 03:24 PM
link   
There was a company on Ebay that was selling refurbished jet airliners as houses, they would literally come out to your property and put a converted airliner on bascily a rotating pole. They looked really neato on the inside, but the price was outrageous as you can imagine. That was several years ago, just after 9-11.

posted on Apr, 20 2006 @ 04:25 PM
link   
It's a shame that if you want an eco friendly house it costs more money to build than a standard house.

The same applies to food. If you want organic food you have to pay extra as if it's something special... It's the way they've been grown for hundreds of years!

Maybe in the UK we'll see prices dropping for the above since the next election fad is based on "Green Britain"

But how long will that last? Two minutes after whoever wins! then we'll all go back to the usual!

David Cameron will ditch his bike, John Prescott will change his eco-gas car for a guzzler, we'll all say hello to being charged on a per mile basis for driving to work and in return, we'll have more lovely plumes of black smoke from the back of buses while we drive because they wont even bother to use alternative fuels for their ageing fleets!

posted on Apr, 20 2006 @ 04:42 PM
link   
$100,000 for materials isn't that bad...but then a couple of million to put it together? I don't think that I'll be building myself one of those houses just yet....

posted on Apr, 20 2006 @ 10:02 PM
link   
This just shows that some people who have money don't have the sense to spend it wisely. How many homes would that have rebuilt in New Orleans, Louisiana, Eastern Texas? Quite a few I would think and many would have benefited immensely. Instead one artist is enriched and one dingbat has created an eyesore for her neighborhood as an excuse to spend money she never earned.

posted on Apr, 21 2006 @ 09:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Alikospah
This just shows that some people who have money don't have the sense to spend it wisely. How many homes would that have rebuilt in New Orleans, Louisiana, Eastern Texas? Quite a few I would think and many would have benefited immensely. Instead one artist is enriched and one dingbat has created an eyesore for her neighborhood as an excuse to spend money she never earned.

If they stick to the elevations and blue prints, it won't be an eye sore at all.

As for helping others, if you're so gung ho about it, sell everything you have, live like a monk, and donate everything to charity. As long as she obtained the money legally, it's hers to do with as she pleases.

top topics

join