It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

OP/ED: Drudge Rape Poll: Disgusting

page: 8
<< 5  6  7   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 7 2006 @ 10:33 PM
link   
I respect that df1, but along that line of thinking any quotes on here are suspect to those same rules.
All we have are the statistics unless we go out and travel the country asking every man, are you a rapist?, short of that all we have are the stats.

In that same thread, lets say the stats are padded (probably), by as much as 10%, heck even 20%...It is still a shocking number.

I worked vice for awhile and I can tell you with no padding at all, the number of unreported rapes is staggering. Being among the prostitute population (no not like that..HAHA) I heard all kinds of horror stories. Most often when asked why they did not report it, came the answer, "YOU wont do anything." or "He will just come back and hurt me worse next time."

A lot of work needs to be done in the legal system on this. No I do not have the answers, only more questions.
Thanks

posted on May, 8 2006 @ 10:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by Savonarola
I'm saying that if even one innocent person goes to jail, that "one" is too many.

Just popping in here to say that I agree with this. Ideally all the guilty people would be in jail and all the innocent ones would be free. That is the goal for which we should strive.

I know we have an imperfect system, however and sometimes innocent people end up incarcerated and guilty people go free. Neither is ok. Neither is good. Neither is acceptable. And I won't pick "which one is better", because they're both unacceptable.

So, while even one innocent in jail is too many, one guilty rapist on the street is also too many.

posted on May, 8 2006 @ 01:17 PM
link   
I can agree with you on that one!

posted on May, 8 2006 @ 04:08 PM
link   
I'll go along with the weapons training for women and rape being considered "assault with a deadly weapon". I'll also support the death penalty for repeat rapists. What troubles me is the lack of compassion for someone merely accused of rape. The other thing that bothers me is the lack of punishment for those who file false accusations of rape. Those people who have been raped or who work with rape victims should be leading the fight for tougher penalties for false accusors. I don't mean that someone who honestly misidentifies a rapist, but those who do it for revenge or worse yet profit. A couple years ago a prominent professional football player in my area was accused of rape for the purpose of extorting money from him. Luckily for him a person who heard the woman discussing what she was doing stepped foreward and his innocence was established. It is people doing things like this that make it harder for actual rape victims to get justice. Women's organizations should be pushing to increase the penalties for fale accusations, instead they are doing their best to sweep it under the rug. Studies have been done that show between 20 and 40 percent of rape accusations are either false or an innocent person has been accused.

False Rape Accusations May Be More Common Than Thought

Convicted by Juries, Exonerated by Science: Case Studiesin the Use of DNA Evidence toEstablish Innocence After Trial .

posted on May, 8 2006 @ 04:46 PM
link   
OH MAN
I agree 100%
The penalty for a false rape accusation should definitely be more than just the old "False reporting a crime" thats only a misdemeanor here and that is ridiculous.

posted on May, 8 2006 @ 05:17 PM
link   
I don't know the numbers and I don't take FOX New's word for anything, but I'm sure there are some false rape accusations. And I agree that the false accuser should be punished if it's proven that they falsely accused. I don't know why they should be punished any more than any other false reporting of a crime in which they name someone as commiting the crime.

And I can also imagine a situation where an alleged rapist is found not guilty when he actually DID commit the rape. So my concern is that just because they cannot prove a rape occurred, that doesn't necessarily follow that the accusation was false. Perhaps a rape occurred, there's just not enough evidence to prove it in court.

This gets into what the definition of rape and sexual assault are and I've been talking with a friend about that. It's different state-by-state. There isn't necessarily DNA involved in every case of rape or sexual assault. So the absence of DNA doesn't mean the victim wasn't raped.

But I think IF someone falsely accuses a person of rape, they should be punished, as long as it's proven.

posted on May, 8 2006 @ 06:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
I don't know the numbers and I don't take FOX New's word for anything,

Sources other than FOX NEWS

Research Shows False Accusations Of Rape Common

False Accusations of Rape: Follow the Evidence, Not the Ideology

Some Facts About Rape And False Accusations Of Rape

posted on May, 8 2006 @ 11:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
...So my concern is that just because they cannot prove a rape occurred, that doesn't necessarily follow that the accusation was false. Perhaps a rape occurred, there's just not enough evidence to prove it in court.

This gets into what the definition of rape and sexual assault are and I've been talking with a friend about that. It's different state-by-state. There isn't necessarily DNA involved in every case of rape or sexual assault. So the absence of DNA doesn't mean the victim wasn't raped.

And what if a couple had consentual sex but the woman claims the man raped her - and they find his DNA in her vag? It her word against his, and vise versa, when it comes to rape or not-rape.

I guess this is where God fits in.

-S

[edit on 9-5-2006 by Savonarola]

posted on May, 9 2006 @ 06:16 AM
link   
Cutting down on actual rape is the solution to all these secondary issues of false rape accusations / false convictions and so on, because fewer cases mean more thorough investigations, less clandestine acceptance (if it happens all the time and the world is still turning, it can't be that bad....) and on top of that, statistically, less cases mean less mistakes, even assuming a constant percentage of judicial errors.

It's a matter of preferences, the govt's don't want you to own any weapon, of course, the question is wether you're willing to take your chances with sexual predators who sometimes kill for fun or the minions of the empire. harsh and unfair to say the least.

top topics

<< 5  6  7   >>

join