It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

OP/ED: Drudge Rape Poll: Disgusting

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 20 2006 @ 02:28 PM
link   
Recently the Drudge Report released a poll asking it's viewers whether or not the Duke Rape Accuser's identity should be released. The results were 80% for revealing her identity and 20% against it. In total, there were over 76,000 responses.

www.drudgereport.com
[[[ DRUDGE POLL ]]]
SHOULD DUKE ACCUSER'S NAME BE REVEALED?

YES
80% 60,807
NO
20% 15,665

Total Votes: 76,472

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Frankly, I find even the notion of attempting to release the identity of a rape accuser disgusting. Whether or not, the accuser's accusations have merit, she deserves her privacy. I would imagine that since NBC released a photo of her, North Carolina may not have a law protecting rape accuser's identities. If not, they should.

Even if it were the case that this woman's story has been fabricated, revealing her identity puts every other woman who is considering reporting a rape in a terrible position. Isn't suffering the ordeal enough? Now we must punish women for simply accusing someone of such a heinous crime by telling the entire world of their experience?!? Let them suffer the indignity an the injustice in peace, on their own terms, not publically.

Overall, I believe the results of this poll speak volumes about the mental position of the average American. To argue that an accuser should lose her dignity so we can feel better about some white Lacrosse players' public image smacks of lack of consideration. Maybe folks should use this poll as an opportunity for some introspection...

Maybe we're so starved for the TRUTH that we are beginning to demand it in the wrong places. Maybe we should be asking ourselves why we've lost our faith in what we're told and now question everything. I suspect this poll is simply emblematic of the American public's desire to get the full, true story about what we're being told, while we are being told it.

It's a shame that we have to vent our frustrations at being lied to on a potential rape victim.

[edit on 20-4-2006 by parrhesia]

mod edit, title fix

[edit on 21-4-2006 by DontTreadOnMe]

df1

posted on Apr, 20 2006 @ 03:46 PM
link   

submission
Frankly, I find even the notion of attempting to release the identity of a rape accuser disgusting. Whether or not, the accuser's accusations have merit, she deserves her privacy.

I find it outrageous that a woman can ruin a mans life by playing the rape card without revealing her identity. Under the US system of justice, the accused should always have the right of facing the accuser, no matter what crime is being accused. Not doing so deprives the accused equal protection under the law and impedes the ability of the accused to present adequate defense.

posted on Apr, 20 2006 @ 03:54 PM
link   
These type of polls do not use valid polling techniques. It simply shows the results of people that are more likely to vote and usually shows a high bias toward one end of the scale. I doubt if the results reflect the opinions of the average American.

NC

posted on Apr, 20 2006 @ 04:31 PM
link   
The rape card? What rape card? What the hell does that mean?

posted on Apr, 20 2006 @ 04:35 PM
link   
Guys, let's keep this civil thank you.

Regardless of cheap internet polls the identity of the victim should be protected.

Trial by media never works out right.

posted on Apr, 20 2006 @ 04:38 PM
link   
df1, the man does have the right to face his accuser--in court. That is where he sees her--along with the jury, judge, lawyers and those that sit in audience. But in the press, it is a different story. That is where the shielding of the rape victim occurs. Because, it is felt that the woman would be "raped" in the press all over again if she were to be revealed.

But, I always wonder about this issue about shielding the woman in the press. Does that subjugate the woman--by "protecting" her from the media glare? Or should a woman be brave enough to face the press as equally as the man accused? I think that's where the meat of your arguement lies.

[edit on 20-4-2006 by ceci2006]

posted on Apr, 20 2006 @ 04:50 PM
link   
ceci, exactly!

Those who need to know her identity know it. Aside from that, we have no right, nor any need to know who she is.

Of course, this highlights just how one's life and/or reputation can be ruined simply by rape accusations and if proven false, when the identity of the accuser is hidden, prevents public accountability on her part. However, to say "playing the rape card" is trivializing the real experiences women have and while there have of course been false claims of rape, to make a woman reveal her identity in the face of such trauma due to the few who would mock the seriousness of the claim by falsely accusing someone is ridiculous.

Or should a woman be brave enough to face the press as equally as the man accused?

Are you implying that a woman is being cowardly in wanting privacy when dealing with the act of rape?

posted on Apr, 20 2006 @ 04:52 PM
link   
Why should her name be revealed? What good would that do? Aren't all alleged rape victims' identities kept private? Why should this one be any different?

And as cici2006 said, they will face their accuser. From what I understand they have faced her before and know who she is already. People who think she should be revealed are just a little too nosy, imo.

It's hard enough for a rape victim to report it and go through the process of being tested and questioned. To reveal her name to the public serves no purpose whatsoever and makes it less safe for future victims to come forward.

Let the courts handle it. It's none of our business.

posted on Apr, 20 2006 @ 04:56 PM
link   

Even if it were the case that this woman's story has been fabricated, revealing her identity puts every other woman who is considering reporting a rape in a terrible position. Isn't suffering the ordeal enough? Now we must punish women for simply accusing someone of such a heinous crime by telling the entire world of their experience?

I think she should keep her identity secret if only to protect other women whose claims may be justified and proven. To FORCE this woman to reveal her identity shows the lack of sensitivity 80% of american's seem to possess these days.

posted on Apr, 20 2006 @ 04:56 PM
link   
Rape is a humiliating experience. I agree that it is equally humiliating to be accused of such a crime, particularly if the individual is later released for being the wrong person.

Unfortunately, this is one instance where the person who suffers the greater humiliation is given the benefit of anonymity. Sometimes life is unfair.

I'm sure the misogynists will come out of the woodwork now.

ArchangelOfCool's post reminded me about one reason why rape victims are afforded anonymity - it's to encourage women to report rapes to the police.

Before anonymity, women were subjected to further victimization by the press, etc., so a significant number of women did not report being raped. Crimes were going unpunished.

Rape is one of the most heinous crimes committed against women. It should not go unpunished.

I realize men are raped as well but, as a woman, I cannot speak about how a man feels about it.

[edit on 4/20/2006 by brEaDITOR]

posted on Apr, 20 2006 @ 04:59 PM
link   
Drudge is running out of material. Why even run a poll like this anyway?

Real Scientific.

posted on Apr, 20 2006 @ 06:15 PM
link   
Why would Drudge run this poll? Simple. Rich white kids. Sadly the conservative media is obsessed with rich white kids. Natalie Holloway and now these poor privilidged boys and the nasty black stripper.

In regards to the poll it is disgusting. Protection of the victim is critical to ensure crimes are reported. If she lied, let's find out in court.

posted on Apr, 20 2006 @ 06:28 PM
link   
The rape card means, (and this has nothing to do with this specific case), but all a woman has to do is yell rape and the man will be arrested and possibly charged by that causes him so much grief, he loses his job etc. even if the sex was consenual, if she wants some sort of revenge this causes alot of grief for the man if he is innocent.

this has happened to some of my friends so this does happen.

posted on Apr, 20 2006 @ 06:34 PM
link   

The rape card means, (and this has nothing to do with this specific case), but all a woman has to do is yell rape and the man will be arrested and possibly charged by that causes him so much grief, he loses his job etc. even if the sex was consenual, if she wants some sort of revenge this causes alot of grief for the man if he is innocent.

How many of your friends?

posted on Apr, 20 2006 @ 06:46 PM
link   

Originally quoted by dannia
Are you implying that a woman is being cowardly in wanting privacy when dealing with the act of rape?

[*Open mouth. Insert foot*]No. It was simply a rhetorical question.

I am a woman. If I were raped, I would not want to face the glare of the media spotlight. I believe that when women go to the police and tell of their rape, they are courageous because so many times these crimes are not reported. And I, like Benevolent Heretic and many others, would like this to be left to the courts to decide and not the trial of "public opinon".

The media, in its worst capacity, puts the woman in an excruciating light. Not only do they put her entire sexual history on trial. They make her seem like she "asked for it", when rape is a crime of power.

So, in this case, the woman in question deserves her privacy. Her family deserves privacy. And her child, deserves privacy.

And Drudge sinks lower in my book of indecency.

[edit on 20-4-2006 by ceci2006]

posted on Apr, 20 2006 @ 07:52 PM
link   
Why have this poll? Because, same reason Natalie Halloway has entire days dedicated to her on Fox News, rich white people. How many poor black people have dissapeared, been raped, so forth, never covered, but some pretty rich white girl gets kidnapped and literally has weeks worth of coverage even after cutting out commercial breaks. Rich white boys get accused of rape and that evil black woman must be lying.

posted on Apr, 20 2006 @ 08:14 PM
link   
The whole issue of rape isn't something easily discussed. The fact is that, men in general feel that rape is too easily said since the outlines of a rape are most often times vague. Being so a woman could easily say rape when it wasn't and get the man in an extremem amount of trouble as mentioned earlier. Since this is the case, most people feel that the woman should have to show her idenity, as a way to "put your money where your mouth is". Personally I feel that cases like these should not be covered on the media, and if they are not to this "Hollywood" status that it has achieved. And it is true, millions of crimes and court cases happen each year and they aren't shown on TV. The fact is, is that since these "white American boys" are going on to a prestigious school it has become headlines. So my opinion would have to be yes, the women should have to appear in court, but no cameras. It is not important for everyday people like us (ATS as a whole) to witness these things. But the sad fact is that since this court case has received such notoriety, keeping the identity now will be extremely difficult anyways.

On a more personal note I do understand what XphilesPhan is saying though. I am currently a Junior in High School and I deal with this sorta stuff a lot more than you would guess. I know guys who are constantly called into the Office or even by the Police because a mad Ex-Girlfriend said that he raped her. It is really tragic, but unfortunately there is no other way.

posted on Apr, 20 2006 @ 08:16 PM
link   
I dont think the accuser OR the accused names should be reviled till after a verdict is handed down....and then only those found guilty names should be made public.

posted on Apr, 20 2006 @ 08:26 PM
link   

Originally quoted by Amuk I dont think the accuser OR the accused names should be reviled till after a verdict is handed down....and then only those found guilty names should be made public.

I don't know that even this is such a good idea Amuk, I think that all that does is perpetuate the notion that these Court Cases should be treated as a Football Game or an event to watch. I do not disagree that the public should be informed but cases such as these that are private do not need to be publicized and if so not to this extent.

posted on Apr, 20 2006 @ 08:31 PM
link   
Not to sound harsh..

But what does this have to do with conspiracies??

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join