It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

73p/schwassmann-wachmann 3

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 27 2006 @ 02:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by davenman
This just in...

The Hubble Telescope has just released images of a couple of the fragments.

Those Hubble vids and images are actually at least a week old:
hubblesite.org...
www.spacetelescope.org...

Current images are on the link I posted earlier from UA,
same place as the author of the book you noted.

Originally posted by Regenmacher

Observations of Comet 73P/Schwassman-Wachmann 3
Updated 2006 Apr. 27, 13:00 UT

[edit on 27-4-2006 by Regenmacher]

posted on Apr, 27 2006 @ 03:20 PM
link   
[Mod Edit: removed unnecessary quote of Entire preceeding post]

Ohhh Regenmacher you are ohhh Soooo Great. You're information is the most reliable of all sources and your opinions are more important than any others...

Ohhhh I worship Thee oh Regenmacher thy one and only Regenmacher

WE worship you ohhh great one!!!

[edit on 27-4-2006 by Neon Haze]

Mod Edit: Big Quote – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 4/27/2006 by 12m8keall2c]

posted on Apr, 27 2006 @ 03:33 PM
link   
NOTE: Please direct your contributions to the topic of this thread and NOT towards other members.

Specifically:

2) Behavior: You will not behave in an abusive and/or hateful manner, and will not harass, threaten, nor attack anyone.

Thank you.

[Edit: to add]

Perhaps ALL those involved in this thread should take note of the following, from davenman.

Originally posted by davenman
You know what guys....chill a little!!

One of the main rules of these posting boards is to respect one another. There is no need for name calling or personal attacks. Let's keep it to the facts. Even conjecture based on evidence is encouraged here.

So far facts have been presented and so has conjecture.

davenman

[edit on 4/27/2006 by 12m8keall2c]

posted on Apr, 27 2006 @ 03:54 PM
link   
I plan on imaging the B and C segments tomorrow night from a darker site in the Virginia area outside Leesburg. I am an amateur astronomer myself and primarily do imaging these days so im hoping to get some nice exposures this weekend since its new moon and the weather is supposed to be clear. The C segment is supposed to pass very near M57 (the ring nebula) sometime near may 7th and that should also make an excellent photo op!

Everyone has some nice points in here and i think everyone should stop busting neon's kiwis. He makes alot of valid points and obviously has the experience and education to back up what hes saying.

Chances are it wont hit us, but being concerned and weary over something like this that is trailing so much debris is definitely warranted imo. Its not like NASA or our representative government would tell us if it was going to hit us anyway. Should make a heck of a fireworks display either way if all that dust enters the atmosphere

posted on Apr, 27 2006 @ 04:04 PM
link   
If you need someone to host the pictures for you I'll be more than glad to host them in my staff account here. Email them to me at [email protected] with something about "ATS COMET" in the title (so I don't end up deleting it
).

posted on Apr, 27 2006 @ 04:29 PM
link   
Regenmacher: Thumbs up! Some sound scientific thinking going on.

Regarding likely trajectory changes:

Most likely forget about them, unless the fragments travel through large gradients of the gravitational field, which at these distances is unlikely. The Moon could play a rule in this respect.

Otherwise it's just plain conservation of the impuls vector, and nothing will happen.

posted on Apr, 27 2006 @ 05:17 PM
link   
NASA is now officially fed up with collision fiction....press releases issued.

NASA says comet fragments won't hit Earth USA Today
Chunks of a comet currently splitting into pieces in the night sky will not strike the Earth next month, nor will it spawn killer tsunamis and mass extinctions, NASA officials said Thursday.

"We are very well acquainted with the trajectory of Comet 73P Schwassmann-Wachmann 3," said Donald Yeomans, manager of NASA's Near-Earth Object Program Office, in a written statement. "There is absolutely no danger to people on the ground or the inhabitants of the International Space Station, as the main body of the object and any pieces from the breakup will pass many millions of miles beyond the Earth."

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

NASA Clarifies Information on Comet Approach NASA.gov
Astronomers have been observing the comet for more than 75 years. The trajectory of this comet has been monitored and refined over time, and its path around the sun is well understood.

The comet has broken into more than 40 fragments. Any pieces resulting from the breakup of its main body will come no closer than 5.5 million miles to Earth, or more than 20 times the Earth-moon distance, during its closest approaches May 12 - 28. Neither the main comet nor any of its pieces pose a danger to Earth.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Do they need to do another to quell the false fear propaganda?

posted on Apr, 27 2006 @ 06:02 PM
link   
No disrespect to you rainmaker because i honestly think your posts and sense of humor are pretty cool but i dont believe a peep that comes out of any govt sanctioned agency. I grew up paranoid because of my dad and his military career and the things that he had access to while serving in the JCS. He never gave me specifics of course but he always told me never to trust the government and that they were into some "very bad stuff". So please forgive me if i dont accept the party line. I wish i was skilled enough in astronomy and had the time to calculate my own orbits but alas im just a simple astrophotographer and have a passion for the night sky...

I think this like anything we discuss on this board is worthy of a 2nd look and not so easily dismissed as fear mongering. More than likely it is but i like to always keep an open mind

Cmdrkeen, i have my own website so i will more than likely host them there with my other pics but thanks for the offer. I will post a link if they turn out.

posted on Apr, 27 2006 @ 06:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Escrotumus
No disrespect to you rainmaker because i honestly think your posts and sense of humor are pretty cool but i dont believe a peep that comes out of any govt sanctioned agency..

The peep is in the rampant leaks.

Considering there's thousands of amatuer eyes on the sky, it would be nearly impossible for NASA to pull the clouds over the public on this one. They would risk destroying their credibilitty and open themselves up to a major class action lawsuits, if something did hit the planet. They're on public record now that there is no threat. NASA wouldn't make such a claim if they saw an ECO or they would of just clammed up from the start.

They would have to pray real hard the thousands of civilians and students who work with NASA are silent too
The foam breaking off of the shuttle is a good example on how well NASA stops data leaks.

Some amatuer observation reports here:
www.astronomy.com...
www.csastro.org...
www.skyhound.com...

I'm not saying the comet isn't worth watching and there's always the possibility the parameters could change however slim. But, I am not losing any sleep over it, nor will I promote fear in a fear crazed world and risk a case of bad karma kicking my ass to Andromeda and back.

The trend is your friend as they say in they boiler pit, so bet the trend.

[edit on 27-4-2006 by Regenmacher]

posted on Apr, 27 2006 @ 07:05 PM
link   
NASA Clarifies Information on Comet Approach NASA.gov
Astronomers have been observing the comet for more than 75 years

im sorry but as i understand,te tradjectory plotted from thw origial spotters..
on 1930 August 24. estimated a route for the comet

AS A SINGLE BODY

it has now fragmented into 40 + pieces

ok sceptics... can any body on here... you know who you are you clever little
poopooheads"bugslife quote" tell me the EXACT tradjectory or each incoming fragmet...????

as i said before.. was a little fun with a bit of doomsdaying. but now it,s not looking so funny..

gravitational or impact influence from 2006gy2 could mean a big difference from a BIG DOOMSDAY JOKE and a serious local environmental disaster

please understand this is not my personal opinion.

while i am perfectly aware this would not be a "global killer",the immediate vicinity would be vapourised adjcent to an impact of even a small "truck" size piece of comet at 20,000 km,s ps due to the kinetic energy

ok here,s a bit of "doomsdaying for you too"
the freakiest day of my life was when i went to a local video shop' remember vcr,s????"

i followed before some of the studies of nostradamus.. with a SUPER HIGH degree of scepticism

guess what i saw on the cover that struck my mind!!!!

THE FALL OF COMMUNISM!!..

i laughed my poverbial boobies off as this was august 19991 and Mikhail Sergeevich Gorbachev had just been kidnapped by communist rebels protesting about his pro western/democratic stance

i actually put the video back as i thought."well that messes up his current "prophecy"

i stopped laughing the very next day when he was released and then shut down the kgb ,arrested his security force kidnappers and within weeks communism was officially wiped out!!!!!!!!!!

imagine your feeling when you had read this only the back of a sensationalist video cassette

i started backtracking a lot of his previous uncannily correct theories

napoleon. "hister"/ hitler , etc

i was particularly disturbed because directly after the fall of communism was.... guess what????

THE END OF DAYS

all references were to suggest it came from the middle east/death of mabus early in a conflict as... guess what 2??? 7 fiery comets passed overhead

ok maybe this is just bull pooopooo but!!!!

According to Nostradamus

CII, Q62
Mabus will soon die, then will come,
A horrible undoing of people and animals,
At once one will see vengeance,
One hundred powers, thirst, famine, when the comet will pass.

america is amassing troups for a assault on iran/time has run out on iran to shut down his nuclrear prog/iran hs threatened to wipe out isreal/iran is proposing releasing oil by the euro per barrel nest week/comet 73p is passing by within weeks

doesnt it seem that everything is getting kinda out of control,or is it just me getting paranoid.

personally i,m preparing for the worst,

ie stocking up on vodka blue label

posted on Apr, 28 2006 @ 03:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by AGENT_T
doesnt it seem that everything is getting kinda out of control,or is it just me getting paranoid.

Indeed it crept up on me a bit quick, I was expecting a couple of years atleast, seems things are in place all of a sudden, it all started this year with Iran, It will end with GOD having his final say that's for sure.

I just hop I get to take my special pants with me.

posted on Apr, 28 2006 @ 04:27 PM
link   
OK, Agent_T, for you a less mathematical version of it all.

Suppose you have gravity. And suppose you have a really large apple. Now that apple you drop from very far away. But hey, you shoot a BB-gun at it. And the apple falls apart. The apple was travelling at 60 km per second, and your BB made it fall apart with a few meters per second relative to prviouslyt whole apple trajectory. Sooooo, do you think that the gravitational pull of the Earth changes a lot for each of these fragments?? And do you think that the few meters per second makes a lot of difference on top of 60 km/s??

posted on Apr, 28 2006 @ 04:40 PM
link   
Ok.. umm.. apples and BBs?

What about a better analogy. NASA shoots a satellite at Mars. They use the planets gravity (much smaller than earth's) to slow and capture the satellite. Five times out of eight, or thereabouts, NASA gets it wrong and the satellite crashes into the planet.

What was NASA saying again...?

posted on Apr, 28 2006 @ 05:18 PM
link   
What does NASA have to do with the above explanation??

That is my explanation! (claiming copyright as we speak :-) )

posted on Apr, 29 2006 @ 02:51 PM
link   
I imaged the C fragment lastnight and it is definitely getting brighter. I was only able to find the B and C fragments from the relatively dark site i was at which has alot of skyglow to the east where the comet was at 11:00 lastnight when i was imaging it. The image is a bit off in focus but you get the gist

posted on Apr, 29 2006 @ 03:01 PM
link   

I imaged the C fragment lastnight and it is definitely getting brighter.

Awesome. Will we be able to see this comet with the naked eye?

posted on Apr, 29 2006 @ 03:09 PM
link   

The image is a bit off in focus but you get the gist

It may be off focus, as you say, but that's a great pic, imho.

Here's hoping for some clear moonless nights as these fragments pass.

impressive, Escrotumus...

posted on Apr, 29 2006 @ 03:17 PM
link   
I had some problems with my equipment lastnight and didnt realize that focus wasnt right until after the subs were taken unfortunately.... The comet is only a naked eye comet from the darkest of sites and only after the first week in may. Its easily visible now with binocs from a relatively dark site and with an 80mm refractor from suburban skies after 11pm. I may head out again tonight to reimage the things that i was imaging lastnight with the whole focus debacle >:|

Thanks for the compliments!

posted on Apr, 30 2006 @ 07:34 PM
link   
FYI- Here is a site that will have a live webcam and discussion.

forum.slooh.com... s=0&postorder=asc&highlight=

Meh....It costs money.

Anyone know who is carrying it on the Internet for free?

[edit on 30-4-2006 by dgtempe]

posted on May, 1 2006 @ 08:21 PM
link   
quote: Originally posted by AGENT_T

I will be stockin up on the whisky and aftershocks ......

Aye well only how many days to go before we either see it or it hits us

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join