It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is the outlook for this storm season?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 20 2006 @ 01:26 AM
link   
Ok so for those of you that know me i love meteorology. so here's my question for all my fellow meteorology lovers..

Based on the data you have observed so far or things that you have read from professionals or news sources..what do you think this storm season is going to be like? better than last year? worse? we have already seen an increase in tornado activity......pretty excting, unless there is death involved. if the storms intensify this season i wonder if there will be an increase in wierd weather phenomenon? just some things to ponder and discuss for people interested in this type of thing.

I think this will be something we can look back on once the season is over and see whether or not we underestimated or overestimated what was around the corner. please try to post a credible source with your opinon if you can.

thanks for your posts in advance!

Cherrio!
Digitalgrl

posted on Apr, 20 2006 @ 07:22 AM
link   
In common with the professional's predictions, I expect another active hurricane season - though with not so many named storms as last year. Main basis for this is the fact that the Atlantic Multi-decadal Oscillation is still in its warm mode, and there is (as yet) no sign of any el nino development).

I think it's really difficult to say how many will make US landfall though.

I don't really follow the tornado season that much, although several friends will be out there next month chasing. However I note that if the main season sees as many nado's as usual, it'll be by far a record year due to the unsually high number in March and April - ths may of course be countered by the season ending earlier though? We'll see.

posted on Apr, 24 2006 @ 11:23 AM
link   
In my fifth post here, I give a few links to predictions of the 2006 storm season. My biggest concern right now is with the soaring cost of fuel. How do we evacuate if we can't afford the gas?

I would reccommend that those in hurricane prone areas start keeping extra gas on hand now! Both of my vehicles are full and refueld often. I don't want to face another evacuation like I did for Rita without gas reserves.

posted on Apr, 26 2006 @ 01:02 AM
link   
I think its gonna be a wierd storm season and it has been so far in southern California. We had hot tempreatures and practically no rain in December, and alot of rain in March and April. Its as if the rainy season started late.

posted on Apr, 26 2006 @ 01:55 AM
link   
Due to the extremely warm winter we had I would have to assume that this summer will be very hot as well. Tendancies show that warmer summers (with a few exceptions) produce more storms. So I would have to say, watch the news, keep an umbrella close, and dont let a big storm suprise you.

posted on Apr, 26 2006 @ 07:47 PM
link   
The 2006 Hurricane system will be similar to 2005, but with not as many storms forming. The intensity of the Hurricanes will be brutal though. The ENSO will be neutral by the time the season starts. The ITCZ is already juicing up and looking very scary with pops coming out of the CV daily. There is some mention of scattered convection down the by Guatemala, which I will think will the where the first system forms. We all have to be prepared. The ridge increasing in the mid-west will only get stronger as the weeks go by and if the ridge stays, there will be troughing will allow the storms to trek west, along the east coast or fish. IF the ridge bridges with the BH, then god be with us all.. Take out the popcorm, grab a seat because the show is about to begin soon enough.

posted on Apr, 26 2006 @ 07:55 PM
link   
Someone mentioned earlier that we should store gasoline.
Can you tell me what kind of containers to store it in?

Also, I live in the Tampa Florida area and I would like to know if anyone can tell me what kind of devastation Tampa would have if a Cat 4-5 makes a direct hit on Tampa.
Thanks!

posted on Apr, 26 2006 @ 07:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by MagicaRose

Also, I live in the Tampa Florida area and I would like to know if anyone can tell me what kind of devastation Tampa would have if a Cat 4-5 makes a direct hit on Tampa.
Thanks!

Gasoline should not be stored at all, as it is combustible, but if you should have to save place the gas in a plastic container. What do you need the gas for?

MagicaRose, you don't wanna know what devastation a Cat4 or 5 would do to Tampa. Just think about this, If Charlie had come in like it was suppose to about 90% of St. Pete would be underwater and 10-15 feet of water would inundate Downtown Tampa upto 10-20 miles inland (The bay to Brandon Approx). The devastation would two fold to what Katrina did.

posted on Apr, 27 2006 @ 01:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by hdstrng

Originally posted by MagicaRose
Thanks!

Gasoline should not be stored at all, as it is combustible, but if you should have to save place the gas in a plastic container. What do you need the gas for?

Gas powered electrical generators run, of course, on gasoline. Also, gas stations tend to run out of gas whenever an area is forcast to be the target of a hurricane. When storing gas, it is advisable to rotate your supply. That is, put your stored gas in your vehicle and refill your container. Gas can go bad, or become contaminated. Use ONLY containers that are certified as gas storage containers.

When traveling with containers, keep them separated and do not let them rub against each other. Plastic containers can create static electricity if they rub against each other.

Only store combustible products in a well ventilated area. Keep out of direct contact of heat sources.

Storing Gasoline

posted on Apr, 27 2006 @ 02:25 PM
link   
The Tampa area would have to sustain a direct surge up the bay to really ravaged the area. It certainly could happen. The scenario that NOLA went through would not be replicated here. South Tampa and South Pinellas would have surge but the retention of water in NOLA was the exception. Hurricane Charlie did bend east hard and late which is disconcerting. Beware any hurricane that gets into the southern gulf from Aug. 20th to Sept. 20th. The water temp should be at 90 degrees through that period.

top topics

join