It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Police returning firearms in New Orleans

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 19 2006 @ 11:40 PM
link   

LINK

The NRA and other groups sued the city, saying it took away people's means of protection amid the lawlessness that gripped New Orleans.

"Natural disasters may destroy great cities, but they do not destroy civil rights," said Alan Gottlieb, founder of the Second Amendment Foundation, which joined the NRA in the lawsuit.

But, the hitch is:

Some owners complained it was difficult to get them back. Gun owners must bring a bill of sale or an affidavit with the weapon's serial number. Police also are running criminal background checks on those claiming weapons.

Some gun owners found the weapons were evidence in a crime and not eligible for release. Others did not have the proper paperwork.

I can't imagine trying to find paperwork in the mess that was down in N.O. My father gave me my rifle and my shotgun so there is no paperwork for either. I would have lost both of my guns too.

JDub

MOD EDIT: Trying to make the entire post not be bold.

[edit on 4/20/2006 by cmdrkeenkid]

posted on Apr, 20 2006 @ 12:12 AM
link   
I agree, how can they expect for someone to have all the appropriate documents? Most of their stuff damaged, a piece of paper is probably dissolved by now.

The firearms should have never been taken in the first place....but since they decided to take away our 2nd Amendment...they should have at least had a good gun-to-owner tracking system....a ticket or something.

Sporty

new topics

join