It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists find rivers under Antarctic ice

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 19 2006 @ 03:43 PM
link   
"and could support ancient life"
but what sort of ancient life??

today.reuters.co.uk...

Mod Edit: Long URLs – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 2006-4-20 by wecomeinpeace]

posted on Apr, 19 2006 @ 05:48 PM
link   
Well if it is a isolated enviroment as i think it is, it can be a breeding ground for whatever organism seems to arise, because the mystery of how life actually began is still unsolved. this not really a isolated event though, i mean on europa, one of jupiters moons, their is supposidly liquid water under the miles of ice. both of these inncidents could harbor life because as far as i know, every living organism requires water to live. Water is and will remain what we need to look for when searching for cases of new life.

the rivers under antarctica our interesting because they could harbor new forms of life we have never seen before. Very interesting discovery and topic

posted on Apr, 20 2006 @ 07:27 AM
link   
Update: the lakes are not isolated, they seem to be connected by rivers therefore less probability of finding unique life forms.

See here.

Mod Edit: Long URLs – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 2006-4-20 by wecomeinpeace]

posted on Apr, 20 2006 @ 07:48 AM
link   
I've read the Russians want to go ahead and drill through to one of the lakes, contamination be danged. They're supposed to be pretty close to breaking through.

posted on Apr, 28 2006 @ 05:04 PM
link   
Yes, the rivers do apparently correspond to a 10,000 year old map that shows Atlantis i believe, leading to speculation, (which goes against the geological record) that there was no ice there back then.

posted on Apr, 29 2006 @ 03:58 AM
link   
Got any varification that these lakes are around 10000 yrs old? It seems interesting that you mentioned that because that's also the estimate for the approximate age for the pyramids all over the world. I find that VERY intriguing. Hope you can varify that. We'll have a great thread discussion then.

I'll keep an eye out.

TheBorg

new topics

top topics

join