It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

China prefers Boeing.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 19 2006 @ 02:47 PM
link   
"5.2 Billion and all I get is this #@$% hat?" - Jintao (tis' a joke, relax)

AP

Chinese President Hu Jintao tries on a company ball cap he was given following his address to Boeing Co. employees inside the company's producton facility, Wednesday, April 19, 2006, in Everett, Wash. Hu, who dined Tuesday night at the home of Microsoft Corp. Chairman Bill Gates, was invited to tour Boeing's Everett plant on Wednesday, just days after Chinese officials confirmed a commitment to order 80 Boeing 737 jets in a deal valued at $5.2 billion at list prices

Why is this significant? "List Prices", no super shady deal just to undercut Airbus, this is a legitimate profitable sale.

[edit on 19-4-2006 by skippytjc]

[edit on 19-4-2006 by skippytjc]

posted on Apr, 19 2006 @ 05:03 PM
link   
I think the part of the sentence 'at list prices' is telling us that the deal is worth that amount IF list prices are adhered to, ie the reporter has done a quick calculation because he doesn't have the exact information to hand, rather than it meaning China is paying list price (which they may do, but thats not what I feel the sentence means).

posted on Apr, 19 2006 @ 06:37 PM
link   
Almost every aircraft sale is couched in the"List Prices" term. Airbus and Boeing do not want other airlines to have a look at other deals (nor do the airlines want thier compeditors to know how much they paid either).

Its like a car, you should never pay the MSRP no?

posted on Apr, 19 2006 @ 10:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by skippytjc
"5.2 Billion and all I get is this #@$% hat?" - Jintao (tis' a joke, relax)

I like that!! Just shows that the A/C and weaps fora are always so freakin' sensitised!! DEFCON 4 everyone!

What's the true deal with Microsoft and China?
Both moving to shut down Google aye??

Ok back on topic:

Are these 50 jets all for the govt. owned China Airlines(South/NW/SW etc. etc.) ? Or private Airlines are incld. in this deal too?
Sooo many fuel guzzling jets!!
Where's China going to get all that fuel?

posted on Apr, 20 2006 @ 12:27 AM
link   
Fuel guzzling?
New planes are anything BUT fuel guzzling. If they were there's no way they could have flown a 777-200LR from Hong Kong to London non-stop. New engines are VERY fuel efficient. You want fuel guzzling, look at the older planes many US airlines are still flying.

posted on Apr, 20 2006 @ 04:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by Zaphod58
Fuel guzzling?
New planes are anything BUT fuel guzzling. If they were there's no way they could have flown a 777-200LR from Hong Kong to London non-stop. New engines are VERY fuel efficient. You want fuel guzzling, look at the older planes many US airlines are still flying.

I meant due to this deal, the china's need for secure energy supplies will become even more important.

top topics

join