It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Man Consumes 6,500 calories a day and still only 100 lbs!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 19 2006 @ 02:46 PM
link   
Here is a link to the story:

articles.news.aol.com...

Seems so strange in an age where people are going so far as to have major life-altering surgeries to shed dangerous weight that this man could only reach just over 100 lbs by having to eat 2 1/2 times the average male's daily consumption of food and drink.

Apparently though the cause of his issues is known but I would think there might be some surgery or medication for him that could allow him to gain the weight and absorb the nutrients and minerals his body needs without his having to spend large portions of his day eating and drinking. How frightening it must have been for him and his family when he was so very small and started school. Interesting comment from the nutritionist who is not used to having clients desperately needing to gain weight.

It will be interesting to see how this man progresses as he gets older and if doctors can help him medically over time. Hopefully, his condition will improve and not hamper the quality of his life.

posted on Apr, 22 2006 @ 04:00 AM
link   
Same thing's going on with me and I'm lighter and older than that guy.

I don't really care if I get stuck like this though.

posted on Apr, 22 2006 @ 05:08 AM
link   
oops dbl post, sry.

[edit on 22/4/2006 by ANOK]

posted on Apr, 22 2006 @ 05:09 AM
link   
I can relate to this story and the aol discussion about it.

His situation is not that rare, lots of us around with the same problem. It's just not taken serioulsy like being overweight is.

The sad thing is it sucks being skinny and for some of us it's near impossible to gain weight. Ppl seem to think it's OK to make fun or make snide remarks about skinny ppl. Try doing that to an overweight person and it's a diiferent story. Nobody likes to be made fun of, skinny or fat. People can be so ignorant and cruel, you're not taken seriously and have to work twice as hard to gain ppls respect.

I feel sorry for that guy, I know what he's going through.

Why do ppl expect you to be 'perfect' and treat you like crap when you're not?
I guess ppl lack so much self asteem they have to put others down to make themselves feel better?
It shouldn't be about what you look like but what you can do.

posted on Apr, 22 2006 @ 07:53 AM
link   
My husband eats everything in sight. He can down a 5 lb box of chocolates, an entire chicken, an entire loaf of bread, 5 lbs of potatoes and the next day he will have lost weight.

I can hardly eat if i want to wear clothes.
Its not fair.

posted on Apr, 27 2006 @ 09:24 AM
link   
Im also very skinny but im also 17. Im 173cm and weigh 47kg's.

posted on Apr, 27 2006 @ 09:39 AM
link   
Same here, yet I don't eat 6500 cals a day, more like 1/6th that. I have a feeling that once this guys metabolism balances out, he's gonna start gaining weight rapidly. I've seen this happen to two of my friends and now they are on the overweight "gravy train." Sorry about the bad pun, but it fits.

posted on Apr, 27 2006 @ 09:40 AM
link   
I'm 6'4" and last time I weighed myself I was about 11 1/2 stone, I'm a real lanky bugger
. I eat so much junk yet I never gain weight, its really strange.

posted on Apr, 27 2006 @ 03:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Chud
I'm 6'4" and last time I weighed myself I was about 11 1/2 stone, I'm a real lanky bugger

How much is a stone (I forgot).

Kind of funny, that you guys in UK, still talk in term of stone, rather than kilo ?

posted on Apr, 27 2006 @ 03:22 PM
link   
Has this guy been checked out for 'company'? As in Tape Worms?

posted on Apr, 27 2006 @ 03:35 PM
link   
Article was interesting and explained his condition, but I can't help hearing my mother's diagnosis for any of we kids, or anyone, who ate and ate but didn't gain weight--"Must be a tapeworm!" Actually, having Giardia, for example, can shed pounds, so always could idea to look for parasites if there is unintentional weight loss.

posted on Apr, 27 2006 @ 03:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by PopeyeFAFL

Originally posted by Chud

How much is a stone (I forgot).

Kind of funny, that you guys in UK, still talk in term of stone, rather than kilo ?

From wikipedia - 1 stone = 14 pounds = 6.350 kilograms

posted on Apr, 27 2006 @ 03:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by sardion2000
Same here, yet I don't eat 6500 cals a day, more like 1/6th that. I have a feeling that once this guys metabolism balances out, he's gonna start gaining weight rapidly. I've seen this happen to two of my friends and now they are on the overweight "gravy train." Sorry about the bad pun, but it fits.

If your saying same here as in you eat alot and dont gain weight then your calorie intake is your problem. If you eat 1/6 of what he eats then thats only 1100 calories a day. Lets just say your are an 18 y/o male. Thats less than half of what you should be eating.

posted on Apr, 27 2006 @ 03:47 PM
link   
Yeah, nothing special about this story. I used to eat over 5,000 calories per day for a period of 3 years in an effort to gain weight. I specifically planned my diet this way, and split my consumption into five meals. It was very difficult for me to put on weight and largely it only enabled me to maintain my weight. My metabolism was too damn fast I guess. The worst part was, if I missed a meal or two, or even worse, got sick, all the hard work would be down the drain and I would often lose weight. Many people have this problem, as far as I'm aware.

posted on Apr, 27 2006 @ 03:54 PM
link   
Yet the kid can bench 130, I bet a lot of the chair jockeys on this site couldn't handle the bar. At least he's got the right attitude.

posted on Apr, 27 2006 @ 03:59 PM
link   
My Mom were through something like that, losing a lot of weight despite eating full meals and then making a peanut butter and jelly sandwich to top it off.

They found that she had an overactive thyroid gland.

posted on Apr, 27 2006 @ 04:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Baphomet79
Yet the kid can bench 130, I bet a lot of the chair jockeys on this site couldn't handle the bar. At least he's got the right attitude.

300 here. 1.62 times my weight. Hes just not working hard enough.

posted on Apr, 27 2006 @ 04:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by PopeyeFAFL

Depends how old you are really as pounds and stones aren't used at all by younger generations. Metric is used in all industries and everything you buy has to be in kilos although a few items show imperial measurements as well. For instances milk is sold as 568 ml which is one pint. Pretty much the only thing still sold as pints is beer
When I'm weighed at the hospital it is always kilos, I couldn't even tell you what I am in stones.

top topics

join