It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Suspicious device' found at Atlanta airport

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 19 2006 @ 02:43 PM
link   
Uh OH...And they arent saying anything at this time. Thats not good..

CNN.com

ATLANTA, Georgia (AP) -- Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport officials closed down all security checkpoints Wednesday afternoon after a "suspicious device" was detected in a screening machine.

The airport still remained open and operating, although airport spokeswoman Felicia Browder acknowledged there was no way for passengers entering the airport to get to their airplanes.

Browder declined to comment further, saying the airport's general manager would hold a news conference at 4 p.m.

Federal Transportation Security Administration workers detected the suspicious item inside a bag just before 2 p.m., Browder said.

Nothing more at this time.

posted on Apr, 19 2006 @ 02:46 PM
link   
A "suspicious device" you say? Well, that narrows it down, doesn't it?

posted on Apr, 19 2006 @ 02:50 PM
link   
I'm watching it now, flights starting to go out but no word on what is actually going on. Hope they don't say anything until they KNOW what is going on. 2:49 CDT here.

posted on Apr, 19 2006 @ 02:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Speakeasy
A "suspicious device" you say? Well, that narrows it down, doesn't it?

Thats my point, they arent talking. Its either nothing at all, or its a really big deal.

posted on Apr, 19 2006 @ 02:57 PM
link   
It's a Bush administration scare tactic to bolster the war on terror and to obfuscate the Administration screw-ups.

A diversion, that's my first thoughts on this.

Just like every other time Bush or Rummy, or whoever, need to divert attention or strengthen their ideals.

posted on Apr, 19 2006 @ 03:05 PM
link   
Well it may have been a misidentification, as the all clear hsa been sounded. Looking for IED components in luggage on the x-ray. No word on what the suspicious item was and news confrence set for 4:30 I assume EDT.

posted on Apr, 19 2006 @ 03:08 PM
link   
This is the latest additional comment I got from the AP wire:

"TSA spokeswoman Amy von Walter said a possible improvised explosive device had been detected at the airport's main checkpoint."

Now, once again this could be anything so I suppose we are best to wait for that news conference.

posted on Apr, 19 2006 @ 03:13 PM
link   
A can of cheap hairspray? You know, the aerosol kind?

I havent heard anything-seriously

posted on Apr, 19 2006 @ 06:12 PM
link   
A passport?

I'll get me coat.

posted on Apr, 19 2006 @ 06:20 PM
link   
My guess is that this was one of those rare times when the bumbling security personnel actually uncovered one of the dummy devices used by federal investigators to quantify incompetence.

posted on Apr, 19 2006 @ 07:06 PM
link   
I was told way back when, that if you didnt mark you're own back pack and it was left un atended it would have to be blown up, assuming you wernt there to claim it
, but luckely I got there right after the security police to claim the goods, ahh, well, what ever. This was in Kuwait - an airbase (suposedly secured).

People are scared of hype. If someone really wanted to do something bad, Im almost sure they could, and if they were good enough, you wouldnt know who.

posted on Apr, 19 2006 @ 07:18 PM
link   
WyrdeOne: too funny
[edit: to add] and possibly true

Strangerous: That's a One-Liner, regardless of hitting external image to separate.

kinda: Chime in, per se, and contribute null to the thread discussion. Ya know?

Toadmund:

? Huh ? While there do seem to be "events" which demonstrate your assertion, Is this truly "One Of" ?

The current "page/story":
'Suspicious device' found at Atlanta airport

Seemingly a "false alarm" for those considering a "conspiracy theory"-type situation.

But ... and I do mean But ...

My concerns for an "event" such as this lend more to "What about after the fact?"

Backed up lines of passengers and operations, disgruntled, over-worked airline employees and security checkpoint personnel ... potentialy resulting in a "Get 'em thru and to their destination" scenario ... The result being lax and hurried security measures ?!

No, not by the book , but just consider the human influence into a situation of such ... ?!

... wouldn't the "aftermath" of such an "event" also provide a rather convenient "cover" ?!

I'm not being paranoid nor presumptious here, just considering any/all possibilities?!

If nothing else ... something to consider Now, and in the Future, IMO

$.02

[edit on 4/19/2006 by 12m8keall2c]

top topics

join