It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I need gardening help, please. Suicide Sprouts

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 19 2006 @ 12:54 PM
link   
I am new to gardening. I've grown tomatoes and a couple of other things, but this year, I wanted to grow as much as I could.

However, I'm having a little difficulty with a couple of things.

I have two raised beds, 4x12. The early spring veggies are sprouting well, onions, cabbage, radishes ect. In the Connecticut area, I even have a couple sprouting that are supposed to wait till after last frost - I am hoping global warming made our last frost past.

My problem is in the house, where I am starting a few indoors.

In both the mini moss pots and the plastic ones, I am having diificulty in getting too far in sprouting.

Using starting potting soil and some with those just add water tablets that turn into soil for sprouting, I plant the seeds - scoth bonnet peppers, habenero, beans, cauliflower, cucumbers. I water them correctly and plant them in the packages specified depth - the works.

Most will sprout fine, but when they get near the stage to be transplanted, they die.

I have been taking them out during the day when it is above 50 F. Lately its been 60-70 F. I water them lightly, not drenching mud and leave them until the dirt is near dry, but not fully. I bring them in at night as it still gets near 40 F.

The ones I want mainly are the scoth bonnet peppers, yummy!, and each time they reach about an inch tall, they turn whitish and die. Another one, a cucumber, lost it's stem support in the middle of the sprout and died.

What does this mean?

The only thing that is surviving are the tomatoes. I moved them outdoors today in hopes of no more frost. Tomatoes are like a weed though, tough to kill.

[edit on 19-4-2006 by godservant]

posted on Apr, 27 2006 @ 03:51 PM
link   
Well, I thought I'd get an answer by now. Conspiracy theorists, some of whom think the end is near, don't know how to grow their own food?

Now c'mon. I know someone knows what is happening to my sprouts. Do I need to go to a gardening forum? Makes me feel like I am cheating on ATS.

posted on Apr, 27 2006 @ 04:03 PM
link   
Might want to wait a couple more weeks... Also, never use fertilizer, even house variety, worthless.

Also, if it is just those types, make sure you have them supported, the cucumber breaking sounds like weight was to much for the stem...

join