It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Modern Day Adventurers!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 19 2006 @ 08:58 AM
link   
I suppose this is in the right section (mods?)

Do people like Indiana Jones and Lara Croft really exsist?.....Yup!....well.....thankfully not in the Nazi killing, temple looting kind of way but certainly in the way in which people are still running off around the globe armed with their research and information to look for things that we here in this section of ATS like to read and discuss.

I would like to bring your attention to a man that i have recentley had the pleasure to meet...

Mark Eveleigh.

Text'...another day in the life of Mark Eveleigh, a borderline insane modern-day adventurer...'

"Maxim" magazine.

Text'…itinerant traveller Mark Eveleigh sets off on foot and by canoe across the heart of Borneo in the hope of meeting the mysterious Punan, a jungle tribe so elusive that even the locals believe they have tails. On the way he endures shipwreck, malaria, leeches and exhaustion, not to mention enforced alcohol abuse and barbecued mouse-deer foetus.

Check out Mark's website for more details of his crazyness.....i think its a true salute to the spirit of adventure that people like him still exsist!

Would any ATS members wish to share other men and women they know off that fit this catergory?

www.markeveleigh.com

[edit on 19-4-2006 by optimus fett]

posted on Apr, 19 2006 @ 09:56 AM
link   
That guy seems interesting. I would also cite, if you are looking for other examples, paleontologist Paul Sereno from Chicago. Paleontology can take people to weird and dangerous locales. For an african expedition, sereno, who apparently had to invest an enourmous amount of his own savings into the project, encountered some, problems. Like, a revolution, or a revolt. Armed gunmen, etc. He had to hold the expeditionary group in a city for a while, to wait it out, which costs money, and might've scuttled the project. Eventually, he had to risk it. THe project was a big success.

posted on Apr, 20 2006 @ 07:50 AM
link   
Thanks Nygdan, hell....thats an interesting story, i suppose if you face the fact that most of the unusual/ new and bizzare stuff worth studying is usually located in the far flung corners of the globe, then you can guarantee danger from many different angles- not to mention the huge expanse of disease and illnesses you may have to deal with!...the diversity regarding personal skills is usually vast and varied, i think thats what makes these peoples images seem so...well......indiana jonesey and lara crofty...lol.

thanks for the reply.

posted on Apr, 20 2006 @ 08:02 AM
link   
I think that someone who makes the continued and future exploration of our planet and its species look so effortless, is Sir David Attenborough. The guys in his 70's and is still going strong- i would love to spend one night with a couple of bottles of fine red chatting to him and listen to the high's and lows of his career!

www.bbc.co.uk...

This guy is such a dude!

posted on Apr, 28 2006 @ 05:11 PM
link   
This is pretty much why I work 55 hours a week. Once I have the money behind me I hope to vist many world reknown ruins as well maybe discover some of my own! I'am always looking for new myths and stories about X object or X city or temple.

posted on Apr, 28 2006 @ 06:06 PM
link   
Then there are the trio who travelled the course of the Nile in order to find the source, and discovered it was not where it previouly had been, it was about 70 miles up-river. No fascinating artefacts in this one, but still an incredible adventure, one of the trio was shot by Ugandan rebels whilst on the trip.

www.msnbc.msn.com...

posted on Apr, 29 2006 @ 06:48 AM
link   
That was an intresting read. In an age of Satalites that can read newspapers, GPS infra-red and other goodies. Its still the good old Explorers who find the really good stuff!

posted on May, 25 2006 @ 09:42 AM
link   
Hi Optimus,

Interesting thread - but then I might be a little biased admittedly!

Been trying to get new expeditions off the ground but I now work as a freelance photojournalist and the sort of book expanses that could take me in search of the 'New Machu Picchu' - IT'S still THERE, hidden in the jungle. I KNOW it is! (A bloke in a pub in Cusco told me all about it!) - are hard to come by these days.

Seriously though it is within reach of any of us (at least in the privileged western world) to get off the beaten track - literally to places where no outsider has ever set foot.

You don't have to be a dare-devil death-or-glory adventurer to do it.

Mark Eveleigh (currently risking life and limb in a hammock on the southern Portuguese coast!)

PS. By the way, where did we meet?

posted on May, 25 2006 @ 05:08 PM
link   
Mr. Eveleigh, glad to see that you commented, your work certainly looks interesting. I hope you keep us informed of any developments!

posted on May, 25 2006 @ 05:19 PM
link   
Well here's another fella who happens to be a few ants short of a picnic.

Though airings seem to be sporadic it's really one of my favorite discovery shows for the simple reason that for every minute I am impressed by this mans antics there is an equal amount of minutes where I can say to myself..."that was probably not the best decision he could have made."

dsc.discovery.com...

Spiderj

PS and welcome Mark, don't know if you'll get any good destination ideas on this thread, I mean with gas prices as they are alpha centauri is out of the question I'm sure, but you may find some interesting topics and discussion that could send you on your next adventure.

[edit on 5/25/2006 by Spiderj]

[edit on 5/25/2006 by Spiderj]

top topics

join