It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The NEW 'Axis of terror...'

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 18 2006 @ 11:12 AM
link   
www.msnbc.msn.com...

UNITED NATIONS - Israel said Monday that a new “axis of terror” — Iran, Syria and the Hamas-run Palestinian government — is sowing the seeds of the first world war of the 21st century...

For one thing, this article makes me wonder whether Syria really does have Saddam's missing weapons of mass destruction. I highly doubt that intelligence in the USA was as inept as it appeared to be.

[edit on 18-4-2006 by The Norm]

Mod Edit: Methods of ''Quoting'' – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 18/4/2006 by Umbrax]

posted on Apr, 18 2006 @ 11:19 AM
link   
Sounds like Israeli propaganda to me, political choice of words. Using language like that is something the US has to respond to, we started using it first.

posted on Apr, 18 2006 @ 11:22 AM
link   
I dont have the links right this moment, but there are a half dozen references out there regarding Syria's having those weapons. Saddam himself was just shown in a tape recording to admit that Syria has the weapons.

Bush may be inept, but the intelligence gathering was stronger than the credit its been given.

I agree with Israels conclusion 100%.

posted on Apr, 18 2006 @ 11:37 AM
link   
I don't see any reason to think of this as anything more than propaganda, as Baphomet stated. What I want to know is when they decided that "Axis of Evil" wasn't intimidating enough and changed it too "Axis of Terror".

posted on Apr, 19 2006 @ 10:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by The Norm
Sounds like Israeli propaganda to me

Of course its propaganda, its presenting another nation in a particular set of terms.
But....whats wrong with that? Propaganda is merely 'information presented to others'.

Whats the lie in the yehudi statements? Hamas is a terrorist organization, Iran fund terrorist orgs, and so does Syria. They are some of the major state supporters of terrorism in the world. The statements are propaganda, but they're accurate.

[edit on 19-4-2006 by Nygdan]

posted on Apr, 19 2006 @ 12:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nygdan
But....whats wrong with that? Propaganda is merely 'information presented to others'.

While I agree with this to an extent, I believe that rather than being 'merely' information, propaganda is specifically selected information designed to influence the intended audience in a particular way.

Indeed it is my view that propaganda is equally, if not more about what is not said.

Having read through the link posted by The Norm his post draws interesting parallels in what I believe propaganda is. For instance what he did not also say was that the article quotes the Palestinian U.N. oberver Riyad Mansour saying that

www.msnbc.msn.com...

“Israel, the occupying power has been relentless in its grave breaches of international law, including the willful killing and injury of civilians and the practice of extrajudicial executions,”

The issue of 'accuracy' is one that depends which side you happen to be on.

I'd be interested in having some links to the information suggesting that Syria took control of Iraqs (alleged) stockpile of WMD's. While I am not in a position to make a judgement on the accuracy of this, it strikes me as highly unlikely that a sovereign nation would hand over all it's WMD's to a neighbouring country in order to conceal the fact that they posess them.

I can imagine the scenario when Iraq wanted them back......

"errr, Mr Assad sir, could we please have our stuff back please as they Yanks have gone away and we want to continue terrorising the region and the wider world..Thanks.....

posted on Apr, 21 2006 @ 02:19 AM
link   
sounds like a commercial to me, why not go out and buy another invasion !!! this time half off

posted on Apr, 21 2006 @ 08:06 PM
link   

Of course its propaganda, its presenting another nation in a particular set of terms.

Whats the lie in the yehudi statements? Hamas is a terrorist organization, Iran fund terrorist orgs, and so does Syria. They are some of the major state supporters of terrorism in the world. The statements are propaganda, but they're accurate.

It wouldnt have anything to do with the fact that Syria is Irans allie in case of a war would it!? That little piece of information is informative as background information... not

posted on Apr, 21 2006 @ 09:31 PM
link   

Wait a minute! The Norm never said 'Sounds like Israeli propaganda to me.' Baphomet79 said that. So, please, be kind and don't spread such propaganda about The Norm! His wife majored in propaganda so The Norm knows when to call a duck a duck when it's a duck!
"Outside my window, is a tree..."

posted on Apr, 21 2006 @ 09:41 PM
link   
Frig man!
Israel, IMO is nothing but a spoilt brat on the world stage.

Israel cries, Israel gets.

The Palastinians are ALWAYS in the wrong, they threw rocks at us, "WHAAA, WHAAA, WHAAA!"

But yet, they are both nuts.

posted on Apr, 21 2006 @ 11:44 PM
link   
Here is a great example of American Propoganda. And it will illustrate my point about propoganda quite nicely. This is not an America bashing point...America just happened to have a great anecdote.

Prior to WW2 we saluted the Flag this way: rexcurry.net... midway down the page on the left...unfortunetly im dense and dont know how to post pics on ATS...standard HTML doesnt seem to work. Anyways its on this page.

After we began WW2 we changed to the way most people salute the flag today. Now this was all done to MAKE the German People and thier whole crew DIFFERENT than ourselves...thus making it possible to either Hate them or fight them....either way was fine with the ruling party at that time. Now I am in no way saying we shouldnt have entered into WW2 or that Hitler wasnt one sick SOB however...this is a great example of Propoganda and the affect it can have on the masses.

That being said...while the rhetoric coming out of Isreal as well as the Palestinian Authority is infact Propoganda it is important to remmeber the power of propoganda and its ability to Galvanize an apathetic people.

Iran Syria and Isreal will all be problems for the World and the United States in the Years to come. Is Isreal A big cry baby who wants wat the want all the time and if they dont get it they scream Anti-semite...yes....but is the United States a supporter of Terrorism yes...is Syria..yes...All governments support things that if the people of those respective governments found out they would lose power. This seems to be the way of the world unfortuently....what we have to stop our governments from doing is starting World Wars over pissing contests....who cares whose got more missles or terrorist jihadists or watever....Havent we learned that War doesnt solve anything it only perpetuates the next war. now im no bleeding heart liberal....im not advocating total arms removal....It just seems to me that with all of our advanced technologies and medicines its a lil ironic that we may wipe ourselves out with an age old concept that older than anything really left standing on the face of this planet, of course with the excepetion of natural *big things* cant think of the word...but you know what i mean...but thats just my opionion

EL senor pom pom rides again

posted on Apr, 22 2006 @ 09:53 AM
link   
I'm not saying it's going to happen, but in the event war with Iran does come to pass, the following are who I see being spokes on the wheel of the Axis: Iran, Syria, Libya, N. Korea and Iceland. Now I'm not sold on my last pick. Still, you just can't trust those countries that have been too quiet for far too long, 'ya know?

I see Russia (maybe China too), using the war as an excuse to expand its boundaries to end some of its own problems where terrorism is concerned.

[edit on 22-4-2006 by The Norm]

posted on Apr, 22 2006 @ 11:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by skippytjc

i wouldn't say a 100%,

but we have to agree with them on Syria.

posted on Apr, 22 2006 @ 04:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by infinite

Originally posted by skippytjc

i wouldn't say a 100%,

but we have to agree with them on Syria.

Here's something I got to wondering about. Do you think muslim extremists were thinking about taking over Iraq (the meat in the sandwich of extremist territories), when the US rained on their parade?

posted on Apr, 22 2006 @ 04:14 PM
link   
The "axis of evil/terror/ph33r" business is a dime a dozen these days. Don't even bother showing up at the next UN meeting without one.

However Israel creating one is quite hilarious but only less so than the US.

posted on Apr, 22 2006 @ 04:43 PM
link   
I can't recall who, but, a day or two ago someone from the US defense department said something to the effect of 'time running out for Iran.'

Maybe Syria has nukes in their inventory of WMD's they would be willing to sell or give to Iran? Syria has had close ties with Russia.

posted on Apr, 22 2006 @ 05:05 PM
link   
I think those of us who are living in the relative safety of our powerful western nations cannot truly understand Israel's point of view. It is an indisputable fact that Syria, Iran and the Hamas-led Palestinian government are all state sponsors of terrorism against Israel and others. It is a fact that all three nations/territory seek the complete demise of Israel. So how are they not an "Axis of Terror", especially in the eyes of their primary target (Israel)?

Imagine if your nation was under constant threat from three neighboring countries. Imagine if many of the citizens of those nations were willing to strap explosives to themselves and blow themselves up inside the borders of your homeland, killing innocent men, women and children. Even worse, some or all of those countries have or are seeking weapons of mass destruction. These countries are all led by governments with extremely radical ideologies and twisted views of reality.

Sure, I suppose the term "Axis of Terror" can be construed as propaganda. But if I were in Israel's shoes, then propaganda would be the LEAST of what I'd be doing to protect my nation from radical external threats. Come on people... whether you agree with the actions of Israel over the years or not, you still cannot dispute that their very existence is in danger.

posted on Apr, 22 2006 @ 07:13 PM
link   
'Axis of terror' is a relative concept. I am sure that from the perspective of some middle eastern countries, the 'axis of terror' might read, US, UK and Israel. I personally cannot imagine what it would feel like to be at loggerheads with a country that has overwhelming military superiority.

Also the 'twisted ideology' concept also depends on one's perspective. It is easy to sit here in our relatively comfortable consumer led lifestyles and judge other's perspectives, but how many of us have *really* tried to look at the situation through the eyes of those we consider to be 'twisted' or 'evil'?

posted on Apr, 22 2006 @ 11:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by 5ick8oy
While I am not in a position to make a judgement on the accuracy of this, it strikes me as highly unlikely that a sovereign nation would hand over all it's WMD's to a neighbouring country in order to conceal the fact that they posess them.

I can imagine the scenario when Iraq wanted them back......

"errr, Mr Assad sir, could we please have our stuff back please as they Yanks have gone away and we want to continue terrorising the region and the wider world..Thanks.....

Nice job, voted you WOT for that post. Seems most Americans dont understand that both side are just as bad, I feel the Zionists have brought this on themselves and the rest of the nations that are in support of the them. All side are to blame, but those people of the M.E. didnt invade Palestine and be the first to commit modern terrorism last century.

This problem needs to be solved and it wont happen through war, bombing people is not a great way for them to see things your way.

posted on Apr, 23 2006 @ 09:51 AM
link   
Trying to reason why or what fundamentalist islamic extremists have done or will do is extremely difficult for westerners. However, their indiscriminate use of jihad (suicide bombers, etc, etc), to achieve victory against the 'crusaders' can leave little doubt as to the depths they will sink to in their quest.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join