It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ISSYP and Perimeter institute

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 18 2006 @ 01:49 AM
link   
Has anyone heard of ISSYP ( International Summer School for young physicists ) before ?
Or has anyone attended ISSYP or plans to attend ISSYP this year ?
Anyone know about the Perimeter Institute in Ontario, Waterloo ?

posted on May, 5 2006 @ 05:58 AM
link   
Yes I attended ISSYP last summer.

posted on May, 6 2006 @ 09:49 AM
link   
How was it ? What sort of stuff did you learn ?

posted on May, 6 2006 @ 11:30 AM
link   
This is the "Research In Motion people's" pet project. Bucks up effort.I wonder if Lazaridis/Fregin/Balsillie can write it off. Sounds like a great summer training camp for young folks interested in physics.

I have a feeling that physics may not be all that they are "teaching". It won't add much to one's resume if they are found guilty of various alleged patent infingements. Could this Perimeter Institute be a corporate "hot-house" for gathering info from these young minds and would that be a bad thing?

It'd be funny if one of these kid's ideas worked and it turned up in RIM hard/software one day and the kid sued... only to find that they'd signed away their rights in signing the camp waiver docs. LOL. Weirder stuff has happened.

Victor K.

[edit on 6-5-2006 by V Kaminski]

posted on May, 8 2006 @ 06:06 AM
link   
It is an extrodanary experience, they show you what is being done in physics today and try to give you a taste of some of the mathematical skills that you will need. Also it is great to meet with others from around the world that have the same interests as you. You learn a great deal and it really motivates you to work in the field of theoretical physics. Since this camp I have persued this dream and I know have a research position at the University of Western Ontario. I strongly recomend that you try to get in you will have one of the best times of your life.

posted on May, 8 2006 @ 12:52 PM
link   
Sounds very interesting to me. I will try to get into it. My interests are anyway in Relativity, Quantum mechanics, and that stuff. But I am living away from Canada, infact in Nairobi, so it will be harder for me to go. But I will try.

I knew someone on ATS will know about this ! There's no better place to ask.

posted on May, 8 2006 @ 07:33 PM
link   
relativity and quantum mechaincs are vey well covered in the program. But as to your later coment i did a google search on issyp and this forum came up so i joined

posted on Sep, 5 2006 @ 10:36 AM
link   
hey everybody. My name is Tom Bielecki and I went to ISSYP the second camp in the summer of 2006 (august 5-17). This camp was absolutely AMAZING and INCREDIBLE, and if I did it all over again, I would have signed up again... best experience of my life. We learnt all of high school, and some of university calculus in about two hours! That was satisfying by itself, but I also met some of the most incredible people that I have ever known, from around the world. Many of us cried at the airoport because it was so hard to leave, after a camp of only 12 days long!!! Worth it's weight in Diamonds... Sign Up!

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 07:51 AM
link   
hey, umm I would really like to know more about what you did in ISSYP. You see, I was accepted in this program. But, I'm sort of freaked out about the whole thing. I am excited and all that. I have a feeling it's going to be a unique experience. It's just that I'm totally ignorant of the procedures, especially that I'll be so far away from home.

new topics

top topics

join