It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

so.... did you stay strong during Lent?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 17 2006 @ 11:12 PM
link   
so now that Lent is finished, how many of you actually stuck with it and stayed strong for the 40 days & 40 nights?

I'm 30 years old and have been drinking soda pop since I was a wee lad (probably around 7 years old). I have had, on average, two cans of pop a day for the last 15 years.

Anyhow, I decided to try my hand at putting those cans of carbonated evil behind me for Lent and surprise, surprise.... I actually did it.

I am the biggest root-beer fan in North America and I never would've thought that it was possible, but every time I was craving a can of soda, I would think about Jesus (laugh if you want) and what he put aside during his life and the soda quickly became a non-factor.

Now... Lent is finished and I'm going to reward myself with a giant, chilled glass of root-beer!

We need more people of great example in this world.

posted on Apr, 18 2006 @ 07:15 AM
link   
My parish priest, Monsineur Farrell (the closest thing we know to a living saint - exception to the Pope at the time), once gave a sermon about lent and "giving things up" for Lent.

He told us how it's not necessary.

Everyone "carries their crosses" he said - Jesus carried his, and we carry ours. Our cross is our sins, our wants, our greed, our misjudgements, etc. During lent we need to hang up one of our crosses. For many people they give up some sort of food or pleasure, as has been simple tradition. But some of those whom I considering going deeper into their faith tend to start seeing the real point of lent and do things differently.

I've had a few friends/peers who did fasts during the entire Lent season.

Myself, I don't give up anything, but simply re-resolve to do things better... to be more accepting of other points of view, to better understand what people are going through, and to help others more.

This year I didn't do anything - because I'm dealing with some other things - but I know that's okay.

By the way, I hope you had a good time without pop! I know when I was young I tried that and I failed. I also tried chocolate, and I would've succeeded, except that... well... being a kid I forgot about it whilst at some science museum and ate chocolate.

posted on Apr, 18 2006 @ 08:37 AM
link   
Good for you Fattyp!

While it's not necessary to give up something or to do something extra during lent, it is necessary to draw closer to Christ and it sounds like you did just that.

Learning to appreciate what He did for you, and being more thankful is a step in your journey home.

I failed miserably in my own attempt to do something extra. I wanted to set aside new prayer time each day to pray the rosary and I didn't do it even once. I did, however, recommit to never missing mass, and I have also taken on a teaching role in our parish. I have also spent more time in prayer this lent than the rest of the year even though it wasn't praying the rosary.

So did I really fail? Maybe not. I still had a good hard look at my sins, sought forgiveness, recommitted myself to growing in Christ through serving the children at our church, and I am following through with that committment.

My daily prayer is "Not my will, Lord, but yours!" So while I wanted originally to pray the rosary each day, God had something different in mind. And I was open to what He called me to do.

I guess that's what it's all about?

posted on Apr, 18 2006 @ 02:40 PM
link   
"NO! I'm out!"

*slaps $50 on the table and stomps out of the room.*

posted on Apr, 18 2006 @ 03:21 PM
link   
Shows how much I know about Lent, I wasn't aware you couldn't drink root beer. I thought it had something to do with meat.

Does Jesus really want you to give up the A&W????

Peace

posted on Apr, 18 2006 @ 03:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by dr_strangecraft

"NO! I'm out!"

*slaps $50 on the table and stomps out of the room.*

I'm still king of my castle.....still, Master of my Domain.

Who am I kidding, I was out after 15 minutes.

posted on Apr, 18 2006 @ 03:45 PM
link   
uhh I cleaned the lint out of the dryer if thats what you meant.

posted on Apr, 18 2006 @ 04:05 PM
link   
snippy answers huh?

that's fine... way to encourage member contributions!

as for Jesus not wanting me to drink A&W.... get a clue, really. Is there a 13 and under forum I'm not aware of?

posted on Apr, 18 2006 @ 04:11 PM
link   
dontcha

top topics

join