It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Passion of the Christ- Jesus Takes a Beating

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 17 2006 @ 09:23 PM
link   
I was just watching the Passion of the Christ on Showtime, I had seen it before when it first came out but WOW I must not have seen it all. This movie makes me wince, and that says a lot. What a brutal show Mel Gibson put on here. This thing rates up there with a snuff flick in terms of shock value and downright gory detail. That part where the Romans were beating him with the leather tassle whips with the sharp shells on the ends, ripping flesh from his back with every stroke, I could barely sit through it. What was the real purpose for making this thing so graphic? Did Gibson try to use shock value and shame to frighten people into believing the story? I can't understand how people were taking their eight year old kids to see this thing, I mean it could traumatize an adult, imagine what it would be like for a little kid to see such horrific violence on screen. Moral or no moral, this movie is as disturbing as it gets. Anyone else have a take on The Passion?

Also...that creepy little demon midget that Satan is carrying around like a baby, the one who cracks that evil grin when it sees J.C. getting flogged, how gnarly is that thing!!

posted on Apr, 17 2006 @ 09:31 PM
link   
His intent was to attempt to show the level of suffering Jesus Christ endured before and during his sacrifice.

posted on Apr, 17 2006 @ 09:46 PM
link   
The bible would've been so much better with photographs.

posted on Apr, 17 2006 @ 10:06 PM
link   
stuff like that was common back then.....it was a cruel world. I think its good that he showed it as is so to speak and not suger coated the message

posted on Apr, 17 2006 @ 10:50 PM
link   
the beatings Jesus endured are shadows of events that took place prior to the crucifixion and are also very symbolic.

When Jesus had his eyes covered and was beaten, that was a shadow of what happens when we are blind to Gods grace and exsistence.

When Jesus had his back torn open by the whips, that was a shadow of the Jews turning their backs on God and denying Jesus as their saviour.

When Jesus was hit in the mouth and his tongue stuck to his gums/teeth, that was a shadow of all the sins we have commited with our mouths (evil, mean things we say, lies, etc).

When Jesus had the crown of thorns put on his head, that was a shadow of our evil thoughts and the darkness that can come from the mind of man.

When Jesus had his feet/hands nailed to the cross, that was a shadow of the sins we commit using our hands and feet (violence, stealing, etc)

All the sins that man commits were represented in the beating that Jesus incurred and when Jesus died on the cross, so did our sins.

Remember how the sky turned red when Jesus died? Well... what's that saying? ... red sky tonight, sailors delight?

Isn't it funny how the sky turned red when Jesus was crucified? I know that when the sky is red at night.. the next day is going to be beautiful. Well, the sky was red for the first time when Jesus was crucified... and just think about how beautiful the next day was for everyone that had and ever will walk on this wonderful planet.

So much symbolism...

posted on Apr, 17 2006 @ 11:41 PM
link   
I saw that movie twice. It was really touching and moving. Poor Jesus though

top topics

join