It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Another question on IP addys

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 17 2006 @ 08:58 PM
link   
I saw where the bomb guy was banned for blatantly lying and i'm sure he was. However, say for instance I live in Kentucky and one of the computers I post on, well the IP traces to another state, for reasons i'd rather not share, but I swear there is no conspiracy. LOL Does that make me a liar too?

posted on Apr, 17 2006 @ 09:06 PM
link   
Not unless you actually state that you are from the area where your proxy or whatever method it is you are utilising indicates you are from.

posted on Apr, 17 2006 @ 09:13 PM
link   
Well, i'm not sure I got that. Sorry, i'm not on the up and up on this. You probably explained it correctly, but I want to make sure i'm clear. That particular computer is in Kentucky too. However, the IP addy goes to another State. Did you explain it correctly then? Cause I wouldn't even know what a proxy thing was if it bit me in the butt.

posted on Apr, 17 2006 @ 09:32 PM
link   
zenlover28,

The problem with bomb1288's post was not necessarily the claim to be posting from a library in Germany, it was more the fact of intentionally attempting to hoax the members of this community. That in and of itself is a bannable offense and in direct violation of the Terms and Conditions agreed to when joining ATS.

ATS Rule #1:

1). Posting: You will not post any material that is knowingly false, misleading, or inaccurate. Terms & Conditions

Hope this helps.

posted on Apr, 17 2006 @ 09:33 PM
link   
10-4. I kind of figured that was what it was about, but I wanted to make sure on that. Thanks.

posted on Apr, 17 2006 @ 09:42 PM
link   
IP Freely

For what it's worth, the staff doesn't usually look at IP addresses unless a member's conduct suggests something fishy that warrants further investigation.

Claiming your life is in danger and "they're coming to get you" is an example of something that warrants further investigation.

Other examples include members referring to having been previously banned or carrying on in a trollish fashion that is reminiscent of a banned member.

So for anyone who may be concerned: no, we don't make a habit of gratuitously prying into the IP addresses, private affairs or identities of members.

posted on Apr, 17 2006 @ 09:45 PM
link   
That's good. I'm glad you explained that to me because it concerned me a bit. Thanks.

posted on Apr, 17 2006 @ 11:46 PM
link   
Hey man, i know how it feels to be unwanted on the internet
but i can promise you its not your IP address that is transferring to another state. This is because every single time your computer logs onto a new network, or connection, it designates a dynamic host control response. This creates a brand new Address every single time. Cable "on all the time" modems will keep the same IP though, for that specific network. Each computer will still have an individual IP on the network though, which can be changed and is dynamic as well. You can actually change your own IP address if you wanted to. Its more than likely you trying to use the same User name! Try registering again and if you have the same problem then you are being watched by the government lol.

posted on Apr, 18 2006 @ 04:59 AM
link   
Well, hun I can promise you it does go to another state! And being watched by the gov, eh?

Thanks for your response and trying to help!!

A mod can close this whenever he sees fit. My questions have been answered. Thanks.

new topics

top topics

join