It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US Marines defeat Insurgent attack

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 17 2006 @ 07:58 PM
link   
Well I figure since bad news concerning the US military is oh so quickly posted I might as well post some good news for a change.

Early Monday in Ramadi Iraq, which is located in the Anbar province a known Sunni insurgent hot spot US Marines came under fire near their posts which guard key government buildings in the city. The attack was fairly well organized starting out with suicide car bombs followed by RPG attacks which was in turn was followed by heavy machine gun fire. The hours long battle conclude when US Marines opened up with coordinated firing and when an Abrams tank fired on a nearby Mosque being used as a firing post. Shocking!
No US Marines were killed in this attack.

U.S. Marines Repel Coordinated Assault

RAMADI, Iraq - U.S. troops repelled an attack Monday by Sunni Arab insurgents who used suicide car bombs, rocket-propelled grenades and automatic weapons in a coordinated assault against this city's main government building and two U.S. observation posts.

The latest attack began when two suicide car bombers sped toward the government building, known here as Government Center, using a road closed to civilian traffic, Marine Capt. Andrew Del Gaudio said.

U.S. Marines fired flares to warn the vehicles to stop. When they refused, the Americans opened fire with .50 caliber machine guns from the building's sandbagged rooftop. The vehicles turned and sped away but exploded on a main road, sending a huge fireball into the sky and triggering a shock wave that damaged the U.S. post, Del Gaudio said.

As part of the assault, other insurgents fired mortars and rocket-propelled grenades at Marine positions at the roof of the Government Center, which includes the office of the Anbar governor, and at another observation post, Del Gaudio said.

A U.S. Army tank fired a 120 mm shell at a small white mosque where about 15 insurgents were shooting at the Government Center, Del Gaudio said. The round damaged part of the minaret and the firing ceased, he said.

Lt. Col. Stephen M. Neary, commander of the 3rd Battalion, 8th Marine Regiment, said it was the fourth time in the past 3 1/2 weeks that insurgents had used the mosque to fire on the government building.

The total number of insurgent casualties was unknown. But Lt. Carlos Goetz said Marines killed at least three insurgents firing mortar rounds toward the Government Center.

Link

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

[edit on 17-4-2006 by WestPoint23]

posted on Apr, 17 2006 @ 08:12 PM
link   
I would imagine most attacks happen in much the same way, it's just how they get reported.

When we here of a bombing, or casualties, we rarely here what happened before and after.

Nice to get some detail's

posted on Apr, 17 2006 @ 08:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by WestPoint23
Well I figure since bad news concerning the US military is oh so quickly posted I might as well post some good news for a change.

Early Monday in Ramadi Iraq, which is located in the Anbar province a known Sunni insurgent hot spot US Marines came under fire near their posts which guard key government buildings in the city. The attack was fairly well organized starting out with suicide car bombs followed by RPG attacks which was in turn was followed by heavy machine gun fire. The hours long battle conclude when US Marines opened up with coordinated firing and when an Abrams tank fired on a nearby Mosque being used as a firing post. Shocking!
No US Marines were killed in this attack.

Sorry to piss on your happy time, "Super-Westy", but why are you laughing and joking about an armed conflict which resulted in the death of several people? No matter the side of the dead, are you really that much of an inconsiderate *Mod Edit*? I wonder how you would feel if America was invaded and everyone started laughing at you when you got killed trying to defend your way of life.

Damn. The ignorance and arrogance on this forum absolutely sickens me sometimes...

*any more name calling will get a warn*

[edit on 18-4-2006 by Amuk]

posted on Apr, 17 2006 @ 08:24 PM
link   
Just goes to show that when you mess with the Marines, you better be ready to get handed your butt in your cap.

Thank you, WP23, for posting a story in its entirety about the kind of tactics encountered by our brave troops. I agree that coordinated attacks like these are more the norm than the exception, while the car bombings begin and end most stories about the ongoing insurgency in Iraq.

posted on Apr, 17 2006 @ 08:35 PM
link   

Sorry to piss on your happy time, "Super-Westy", but why are you laughing and joking about an armed conflict which resulted in the death of several people? No matter the side of the dead, are you really that much of an inconsiderate Bastard? I wonder how you would feel if America was invaded and everyone started laughing at you when you got killed trying to defend your way of life.

I was laughing because of the fact that insurgents were using the Mosque as a firing post. Its a bit of a hot topic around here and I wanted to point out the facts of this attack, which contradict the ever popular theme concerning the US and Mosques. Personally I don't feel anything about these Insurgents that die, as far as I‘m concerned good riddance. They are to quick too kill our troops and destabilize their government. Their "way of life" is no long optional in the new Iraq, if they want to go back to the days of Saddam well to bad, its not going to happen. If this makes me an inconsiderate bastard so be it.

[edit on 17-4-2006 by WestPoint23]

posted on Apr, 17 2006 @ 08:54 PM
link   

I was laughing because of the fact that insurgents were using the Mosque as a firing post. Its a bit of a hot topic around here and I wanted to point out that the facts of this attack, which contradict the ever popular theme concerning the US and Mosques.

So basically "it's a bit of a hot topic around here" and you wanted to stir up some aggravation? Nice Job.

Personally I don't feel anything about these Insurgents that die, as far as I‘m concerned good riddance. They are to quick too kill our troops and destabilize their government.

Our Troops have no right to be there in the first place. I don't blame any troops here though. The troops expect (and rightly so), not to be sent into harms way unless necessary. The War in Iraq is neither legal, nor necessary. Further, I would like to add that a certain amount of Iraqi's do not accept "their Government" as being legitimate. There is basically a civil war in that country at present because of this, but more accurately, us.

Their “way of life" is no long optional in the new Iraq, if they want to go back to the days of Saddam well to bad, its not going to happen. If this makes me an inconsiderate bastard so be it.

You are in a position to dictate to Iraqi's what their way of life shall, or shall not be? You are not eligible to vote in Iraq, are you? No. So who do you think you are then, Westpoint23, just who do you think you are?

posted on Apr, 17 2006 @ 09:08 PM
link   
From WP23's original source:

Lt. Col. Stephen M. Neary, commander of the 3rd Battalion, 8th Marine Regiment, said it was the fourth time in the past 3 1/2 weeks that insurgents had used the mosque to fire on the government building.

The fourth time in the past 3 1/2 weeks.....imo, the Mosque should have taken out of commission the first time it was used as a firing position.

I always find it a little funny when suicide bombers achieve nothing....only suicide.

Anyways, WP23....good article

posted on Apr, 17 2006 @ 09:13 PM
link   

So basically "it's a bit of a hot topic around here" and you wanted to stir up some aggravation? Nice Job.

Aggravation? No sir, I specifically said I wanted to point out the facts of this attack. If those facts “aggravate” some people well its not my problem. My decision to post something never depends on how “aggravated” some might get because of it.

The War in Iraq is neither legal, nor necessary. Further, I would like to add that a certain amount of Iraqi's do not accept "their Government" as being legitimate. There is basically a civil war in that country at present because of this, but more accurately, us.

The war in Iraq is legal according to the US and that's good enough for me and our troops, and no amount of red text is going to change that. Furthermore, I would like to add that the majority of Iraqis voted and elected their present government to office. Those that choose not to recognize it only hurt themselves in the long run. Civil War? I don't think so, regardless, the only way to go is forward.

You are in a position to dictate to Iraqi's what their way of life shall, or shall not be? You are not eligible to vote in Iraq, are you?

You’re right I’m in no position to tell Iraq how to proceed, however the majority of the Iraqis are. While they may not want our form of government they certainly don't want to go back to Saddam either.

posted on Apr, 18 2006 @ 01:00 AM
link   
Just the fact that 3+ years later-the US is still fighting these pitched battles, with no end in sight, and alreday taken 50+ dead this month and many more seriously wounded-is an ongoing defeat (by the way the Iraqi govt is basically non-existint at this point-with no 'real' security forces, just a bunch of disconnected bands that will never unite behind the puppet govt)..of cource they're going to repel some insurgents and kill many of them, doesn't matter-they will keep coming forever..

US only option is too withdraw, they can do it now or in 3 more years or whenever..the situation will never change and the insugency will never be defeated.

posted on Apr, 18 2006 @ 01:06 AM
link   

I wonder how you would feel if America was invaded and everyone started laughing at you

America was attacked, 3000 killed, Al Jazeera showed people laughing in the street
and celebrating. They aren't lauging now, are they?

Good post, Westy.

posted on Apr, 18 2006 @ 01:07 AM
link   
Lets stop the name calling...........NOW

posted on Apr, 18 2006 @ 01:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by Code_Burger
You are not eligible to vote in Iraq, are you?

The Iraqi people are eligible to vote and guess what they did; they voted for the new Iraqi government that the US troops are defending!!

-- Boat

posted on Apr, 18 2006 @ 01:36 AM
link   
Guarding the Iraqi government is like guarding an ice-cube... pretty soon, it's going to melt away under all the heat and there's going to be nothing left to guard. Then, the decision that has been put off will have to be addressed. U.S. forces can leave and let the Iraqis fend for themselves or we can keep our U.S. soldier pinata over there and continue this madness.

posted on Apr, 18 2006 @ 01:44 AM
link   
Its a shame so many people have to die for greed.

posted on Apr, 18 2006 @ 02:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by pcxmac
Its a shame so many people have to die for greed.

Agree, in the end it was all for oil and for nothing else.
Iraq is going to end up as Vietnam did, the great US army retreating from the battle.

I thought the Ami's would have learned something from Vietnam.

posted on Apr, 18 2006 @ 02:43 AM
link   
Its "hard" to unlearn ones own nature
, most unfortunate for most everyone. Pray for fortune to follow those that serve the lighter side of the force.

posted on Apr, 18 2006 @ 03:31 AM
link   
No-one seems to have noticed something rather odd in the description of this 'battle'.

The 'suicide bombers' - if such they were - were 'speeding' (how fast, we're not told) towards this target (about which we know very little, what else might be around it, where else the road goes that services it) and yet, when they come under fire, they BOTH TURN AROUND AND DRIVE OFF.

Doesn't that seem odd? If they're fanatical suicide bombers, they'd be wanting to get as close as possible to their target, surely? Taking fire is something they'd know they were going to do and be prepared for.

That the cars then exploded - having come under fire - is not proof of there being bombs aboard, by any means. Holes in the petrol tank, the heat of the road. Was either of the drivers smoking? IF they were civlians who got caught in the wrong place at the wrong time, it's not impossible.

This could so easily be US troops with itchy trigger fingers setting off an incident which escalates. If the US government and military didn't lie so much about so many things, it would be easier to believe, but the source is tainted and therefore anything from it should be treated with great suspicion.

[edit on 18-4-2006 by rich23]

posted on Apr, 18 2006 @ 03:53 AM
link   
who knows, right, I was on a convoy going to BIAP, when a friendly cluster munition fraged a co-worker, and wounded someone else. What got reported and what everyone thought after the convoy was that some snyper was taking shots at us. After the report (military) it took some time before even the man's widow found out the truth. I tried to tell washington post to change their info on him, but they never replied back.

www.militarycity.com... - what happened

projects.washingtonpost.com...
- what washingtonpost wont change (bastards)

posted on Apr, 18 2006 @ 03:55 AM
link   
'Super Westy' (just LOVE that logo, so MANLY!) said

The war in Iraq is legal according to the US and that's good enough for me and our troops

Which is precisely the problem. Students of law recognise as one of the basic principles that you can't be the judge of your own case. And yet the US won't sign up to the International Criminal Court because it knows it might have to face some pretty inconvenient judgments.

But according to the Geneva Conventions, an unprovoked attack on another country IS a war crime - and the greatest of all, because it contains within it the seeds of all the others. Your government declaring it's legal and refusing to join a body that can set accepted standards for international behaviour only makes the US look more and more like Nazi Germany to those of us living outside the propaganda field.

People who think 'my country, right or wrong' often think of themselves as patriots when in fact they're just the ideal fodder for corrupt, manipulative politicians.

posted on Apr, 18 2006 @ 04:06 AM
link   
pcxmac

Thank you SO much for proving my point about the lies and propaganda. Many US soldiers are just as much victims as the Iraqis - except that they COULD just refuse to serve.

Here is the story of an SAS soldier who quit the service on moral grounds because he was appalled by US attitudes towards Iraqis - treating them as 'untermenschen'. For those who don't understand German, that means 'subhuman'. It's a reference to the attitudes of the Nazis who considered their conquered peoples as less than Aryan.

Not saying that all US soldiers think that - only enough to make a real difference.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join