It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Denying Ignorance will never be an easy task

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 17 2006 @ 05:36 PM
link   
I spend abit of time on the boards of ATS, half my time I am posting while the other half I am reading through. We have alot of talented members on the board who can express themselves tremendously. Sometimes when I come across a thread I'll read through it and notice that what I have to say is already been discussed and it is now beyond anything I have to say. My problem is with the members of the board who are jumping into threads and have nothing to add. They simply post ignorant comments that are only taking away from the thread.

We just had a really strong discussion going on based on a great topic. It started alittle rocky but it found its footing and alot of members were involved. Before we know it, you have 5 or 6 other members jump in with complete ingorance that has absolutely nothing to do with the thread, or beating on the same horse over and over. When this happens the staff has to do their job and close the thread.

Zaphod, a great member of ATS, has done us the honor of creating an area of the board just for these guys.

ThreadKillers Anonymous

This trend is not just with new members, I see members with close to 1000 posts doing the same. 1000 posts does not come easy. What they are doing is clicking onto a thread that has a few pages, reading the original post and quickly snapping out comments without acknowledging everything that has been discussed. Its not logical to expect every member to read reply to a thread, but if your jumping into one with a few replies already, try to browse over a few.

I find myself sometimes even avoiding threads that have already seen 50 posts, because I don't have the time to read through and odds are what I have to say has already been discussed. So I'll bookmark the thread and check back to it when I have a chance and just read.

I understands ATS mission is to Deny Ignorance, and its good to know that this place is going to be around for quite some time.

posted on Apr, 17 2006 @ 06:50 PM
link   
Yeah a lot of people on this forum are really judgemental sometimes :bash:. But overall I love this website.

posted on Apr, 17 2006 @ 07:01 PM
link   
Sometimes I find myself getting suckered in to someone's rant. But on the whole, I have to agree with you chissler. Some people want their voice heard, but refuse to give other threads before them any credit. If a person can't be bothered to read the ENTIRE thread, then they shouldn't post a reply

posted on Apr, 17 2006 @ 08:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by chissler
Zaphod, a great member of ATS, has done us the honor of creating an area of the board just for these guys.

ThreadKillers Anonymous

Amusingly enough, we have the exact same problem with that thread. :shk:

Every now and then we have someone pop in to berate us for ruining threads on purpose. Then we get told what a horrible group of people we are. This completely derails whatever random silliness we had going. It really upsets Fritz and usually results in him posting something filled with this fella:

I realize most people don't want to dig through the whole 100+ pages, and it's not really required, but at least figure out what the thread's about before calling us names. For anyone that does have that kind of free time, you should read the whole thing. It's just bloody hilarious!

No thread is safe from these kind of people.

posted on Apr, 17 2006 @ 08:26 PM
link   
[edit on 17-4-2006 by spacedoubt]

posted on Apr, 17 2006 @ 08:41 PM
link   
This was always a problem on ATS, but in a thread I was participating in today it really hit the worst I have ever seen it.

Different members were jumping in with comments that were hate oriented and directed at different cultures. If the member had of read anything in the thread they would of realized how far off they were with their comments. With the combination of those posts, and the ignorance of a few others the thread had to be shut down. I even mentioned in the thread how it should be closed because of how it quickly took a turn to the darkside.

No matter how hard some of us work, the ignorance of some will always prevail. I have read work by some of the members on ATS, and it can be breath taking how much intelligence lies within these boards. But even the great minds of ATS can not inform those who do not wish to be informed.

I have seen in some of the discussions on ATS that there is almost always three sides to every coin.

-- Pro
-- Con
-- Ignorance

Sometimes you find the Pro's and Con's working together to weed out the ignorance.

So here's to ATS!

Keep On, Keepin On

new topics

top topics

join