It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How would you have handled this?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 17 2006 @ 10:51 AM
link   
I'm remembering a couple years back when my son was 2. I had him in the check-out at Wal-Mart and the cashier asked what my little girl's name was.

I said HIS name is Tyler.

Two weeks go by. Same situation, same cashier. "What's your little girl's name?"

Repeat. HIS name is Tyler.

"Your little boy has pretty blue eyes," she then said.

One problem. Tyler's eyes are brown. I didn't say anything. At least she figured out that he's a boy. I dress him in boys' clothes. I was more or less like "thanks."

I told this to someone once and they knew of an instance where someone had their little daughter all dressed up in a pretty dress and someone thought she was a boy.

Think I handled that right? What would you have said? Just curious....

posted on Apr, 17 2006 @ 10:55 AM
link   
I would thank the worker for the kind comments and move on with my day.

We can constantly run into workers are can be very ignorant and obviosly want nothing to do with the job they are working.

This worker seemed to be making an effort to be polite however. The boy/girl mix up is deffinately something to correct, however with the mix up on eye color that is something I would probably shrug off.

posted on Apr, 17 2006 @ 11:30 AM
link   
Oh, I was polite, but I was refraining from slapping my hand against my forehead and shaking my head.

It just makes me wonder about some people, really.

posted on Apr, 17 2006 @ 11:32 AM
link   
I'd smile and say you have nice Green eyes (When they have blue or brown, etc.,... you get the point) and see what they do. As for the sex issue, you could do the same. You have such pretty eyes and eyelashes, too bad you're a guy or something

If anything, it's something to laugh about. Who cares, really.

[edit on 17-4-2006 by parrhesia]

posted on Apr, 17 2006 @ 11:34 AM
link   

It just makes me wonder about some people, really.

Wonder what exactly?

Unless it seemed that this worker was going out of his/her way to throw a backhanded insult, I would see it as a honest mistake and really not much of a need to dig deep into it.

Its kind of tough to judge someone by a mistake on something like eye color?

I could look someone in the eye and not tell you what color their eyes are. Sometimes its tough to tell.

You as the mother who sees the child every day knows every little detail, but can you tell the color of your neighbours children in the blink of an eye?

posted on Apr, 17 2006 @ 12:05 PM
link   
I had the exact same problem. My daughters hair grew in very slowly and until she was 3 or 4, everyone thought she was a boy. I could've put her in the frilliest dress and they would've still asked me how old my little boy was.

I just politely corrected them and said she was a girl.

posted on Apr, 17 2006 @ 12:22 PM
link   
It happens man. Its still well intended. I think with all 3 of my boys pretty much that has happened at least once or more with each. My 2nd one had curly hair and women thought he was a girl since he had so many little curly-locks. You handled it about right.
They don't mean it as an insult.

Pie

posted on Apr, 17 2006 @ 01:13 PM
link   
Sounds like the woman's just a little crazy or something. I'd probably just try to get out of there a little faster.

posted on Apr, 17 2006 @ 01:23 PM
link   
How about saying:

"Thats why I shop here at K-Mart!, those Wal-Mart folks are idiots."

posted on Apr, 17 2006 @ 01:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by spacedoubt
How about saying:

"Thats why I shop here at K-Mart!, those Wal-Mart folks are idiots."

And mistaking a childs eye color is what constitutes what is and is not an Idiot

posted on Apr, 17 2006 @ 01:39 PM
link   
Chis,

LOL...No, but it does give them 20 pints towards winning the booby prize.

posted on Apr, 17 2006 @ 05:07 PM
link   

Think I handled that right? What would you have said? Just curious....

You did right. I can't imagine it was meant as a deliberate insult. If you'd have pointed it out, it would have just embarrassed the person. Letting it go was a good choice man.....

posted on Apr, 17 2006 @ 08:19 PM
link   
Oh, I just get annoyed fairly easily, because my mindset is usually, "Hey, now I know this--why don't you get it?" I don't go off on people, I just mentally roll my eyes. I think I just need to get off my high horse at times.

For the record, my son's hair is straight and I always keep it short.

But this woman just never seemed to be with it, and I was just wondering what her problem was.

posted on Apr, 17 2006 @ 08:32 PM
link   
I would have ripped off a glove and slapped her smartly across each cheek, then thrown one at her feet and said in a loud and authoritative voice that she was a woman without honor, and that if she disagreed then she could defend her honor in the parking lot at dawn three days hence.

Well, that's what you could do if I were emperor. However, in this particular time-stream, your response was probably more politic.

posted on Apr, 17 2006 @ 11:53 PM
link   
i had a friend who would dress their daughter up in real unisex clothing and if some one said something refering to its gender ie what pretty hair your girl has or isn't he handsome...she wouldn't always corect them so ppl had a fifty % chance of acculy knowing what the child was lol you should have fun

posted on Apr, 18 2006 @ 01:21 AM
link   
I would have looked at her and said "You really love watching TV dont you?"
then walked away chuckling to myself.

top topics

join