It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Baking soda--dirt cheap and very versatile!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 17 2006 @ 10:24 AM
link   
I'm just now finding out how useful baking soda is. I brush my teeth with it because I don't want fluoridated stuff. I've got boxes in my fridge and freezer.

My husband has this plastic microwaveable mug he uses, and I've tried for so long to get the inside of it white again. Then, just for the fun of it I decided to try baking soda--now the inside is white again!

I've been looking up cleaning tips on the Internet and it's amazing what you can do with baking soda, white vinegar, borax, and soda water. For you tree huggers, it's good for the environment (sure I believe in taking care of our home, but not going overboard), and it's safer than having all those chemicals around (I have a four-year-old).

Instead of spreading that powder on your carpet and vacuuming, use baking soda.

Best of all it's dirt cheap!

posted on Apr, 17 2006 @ 10:36 AM
link   
I've long been a fan of Baking Powder it is cheap and effective for so many tasks.

Vinegar is another under rated product and can be used for a multitude of things.

JM

posted on Apr, 17 2006 @ 02:21 PM
link   
JM- You mean "baking soda" not "baking powder" tho, right?

I agree and about vinegar as well. Here's a good vinegar link-
131 Uses for Vinegar.

Here's one that works really well- neither my wife nor I smoke, but when we were pre-child, sometimes we'd have friends or relatives over that do. (They still come over, but don't smoke in the house). If you have a stale smelling, i.e. smoky room, soak a towel in vinegar and wring it out. Walk through the house swinging it around your head (seriously) and it will dissipate the stale smoky smell.

Cider vinegar is supposed to have some great health properties. They've mostly been poo-poo'd by the medical community (shocker!), but a couple of tablespoons of good cider vinegar in a glass of water, with a little honey if you want, before a meal can't hurt.

posted on Apr, 18 2006 @ 06:14 AM
link   
Yes sorry yeahright I did mean Baking Soda (slip of the keyboard!)

Thanks for the vinegar link and your own advice - I'll rememer that one.

JM

posted on Apr, 18 2006 @ 09:55 AM
link   
Baking soda is great for cuts and bruises aswell. Gargle for a sore throat. Every house needs it's baking soda.

posted on Apr, 19 2006 @ 06:11 AM
link   
I have been looking at various alternatives to toothpaste due to the Fluoride (big surprise eh?) in mainstream brands. What exactly is it that you do with the baking soda to brush your teeth with it? How effective is it compared to the average toothpaste?

posted on Apr, 19 2006 @ 06:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by Rizin
I have been looking at various alternatives to toothpaste due to the Fluoride (big surprise eh?) in mainstream brands. What exactly is it that you do with the baking soda to brush your teeth with it? How effective is it compared to the average toothpaste?

I just wet my toothbrush and sprinkle baking soda on it. I know of people who use vinegar and baking soda (very good cleaning combination for a LOT of things).

I've been using this method for weeks and I think my teeth look a bit whiter.

posted on Apr, 19 2006 @ 07:27 AM
link   
Ah I see. I don't like vinegar at all, so I think I will stand clear of that combo. I have heard of people using Baking Soda and Salt. I will be trying the Baking Soda alone though, see how that goes.

posted on Apr, 19 2006 @ 07:46 AM
link   
I've used baking soda and vinegar forever and I love it. When My son was born 10 or so yrs ago I was worried about using standard cleansers. Even now I use a squirt bottle with 1/2 H2O and 1/2 vinegar. I have no problem handing My kids the bottle and a roll of towels and putting them to work. I use it on mirrors, windows, countertops and My birds cages. To unclog a slow drain I pour in baking soda and then full strength vinegar, or even lemon juice (it also freshens Your garbage disposal) A dirty tub doesn't stand a chance either.I use it to remove any build-up in My hair and to rinse My mouth out if I have a canker sore. To brush Your teeth just dip Your brush in and go to town. A warning though- It tastes like crap but works well. The very best part is I use it every single day and don't have to worry about contaminating Our water. This stuff really rocks. Try it, I bet You don't go back to old cleaners.

Peace. K*

p.s. I read somewhere that You can clean silverware with it. Just line Your container, bowl, sink with aluminum foil add water and baking soda and drop in Your tarnished ware.

new topics

top topics

join