It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Wake Up! The World Is Burning, part 2

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 16 2006 @ 09:57 PM
link   
Text by Soj.
Soj is an outstanding writer and political analyst. You are free to use excerpts and whole texts and works by her found on her website.

Africa
newsimg.bbc.co.uk..." target='_blank' class='tabOff'/>

Western Sahara - You might be forgiven if you thought colonialism no longer existed in the world.

Morocco has been occupying Western Sahara since 1975, making WS the last remaining colony on Earth. To combat the "separatist" group Polisario Front, Morocco built the world's largest earthern berm wall north of the capital, which also seals off people in the arid desert away from pasture land and denies them access to the ocean and towns.

Many Sahari people have been living in refugee camps in southwestern Algeria for decades, the nation which half-heartedly continues to supports the Polisario Front. Algeria's support for the PF has nearly led to several wars with Morocco and I note with extreme trepidation that Algeria has just signed a multi-billion dollar arms purchase agreement with Morocco.

In Morocco proper, the CIA has helped finance a large prison complex and Morocco is a regular destination for "extraordinarily rendered" detainees in the War on Terror.

Morocco has promised to hold a referendum in Western Sahara to determine its "final status" (independence or continued rule from Rabat) for the last 17 years but never quite gets around to doing it.

Despite all this, Morocco remains a Gold Star Member of the War on Terror and a staunch American ally. Morocco has a Free Trade Agreement with the US and is also a Major Non-NATO US Ally, making it eligible to purchase advanced weaponry.

Why Should You Care?

Flogging The Simian

www.floggingthesimian.com

posted on Apr, 20 2006 @ 08:08 PM
link   
Since I'm no longer in a crappy mood, I feel as though I can finally contribute to the forum....
Yes this is deplorable, but it's not really shocking.
Especially when you consider that the US is pratically an ally with Communist China who has repeatedly abused the rights of her own citizens and slaughtered millions who are either Buddhist or Christian.

join